Page 1 of 6
When encountering a guitarist, whether you're watching him play or you're just discussing music and things with him, what are some indicators that he knows what he's doing? Conversely, what are some giveaways that he's bad, or at least under-developed?

Obviously this is subject to opinion, but let's be as objective as possible (No "He sucks because he's wearing a Nickelback t-shirt lol")

And be specific if you can...for example, don't just say "good technique", explain what that entails.

So what makes a good/bad guitarist?

Good
A good ear...can play well with others, stay in time, etc.

Bad
All speed, no accuracy.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
In looking for a good guitarist, the first thing I notice is a sense of rhythm and time.

Someone can shred all they want, but if they have no sense of rhythm or time, I don't consider them that good.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
good: knows what they're talking about theory wise (or atleast has some rudimentary knowledge of theory)

bad: plays an MG and a squier, thinks hes the next hendrix, up his own, etc.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

what about jazzrock fusion?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Vibrato is extremely important. An awful vibrato takes away from a guitar part so much.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Good: Accurate and articulate, pronounced notes.

Bad: Over-vibrato, overuse of tremolo/whammy, setlist consists of all the riffs banned from guitar stores.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
so any ____core "musician"?

Well, that seems objective.

Bad: If they can only play a certain style, ex. only shreds.

Good: Decent improvisation, as this shows an understanding of scales while at the same time being able to include different techniques.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Good:creative

bad:uncreative
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
If they're wearing a Megadeth t-shirt?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Someone who spends more time worrying his/her looks than playing the guitars and plays breakdowns. That is bad ,so pretty much look at someone playing and at any time the words"Breakdown" or "Boootalz" Than just walk away before you are associated with it.
Good: whenever there's a situation in which multiple guitarists are hanging around with their instruments present, he is never the first one to start playing, and may be the last.

Bad: whenever there's a situation in which multiple guitarists are hanging around with their instruments present, he is always the first one to start playing
Good: Doesn't play whilst other people are talking.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by fail

Bad
All speed, no accuracy.

Considering speed is a byproduct of accuracy, it's actually a pretty good sign of a proficient musician. You're only as fast as your slowest hand, so if it's sloppy, you're not fast. Just sloppy.

Anyways:

Good

A player who appreciates other instruments, enjoys themselves, is open minded and keeps learning is a good musician

Bad

A player who simply stops learning, doesn't appreciate other instruments are simply guitarists, not musicians. The moment who decide you have nothing left to learn, you've failed.
Good: they sound good, can play well with other people, willing to help other rather than just being big-headed about their playing. If Paul Gilbert isn't too cool to be patient and teach other players than neither are you

Bad: big-headed, douchy, un-original with no identity
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by TheLifeguard
Well, that seems objective.

Bad: If they can only play a certain style, ex. only shreds.

Good: Decent improvisation, as this shows an understanding of scales while at the same time being able to include different techniques.

So because someone's focused on one style/genre they're a bad guitarist?

Last edited by JilaX^ at Dec 14, 2009,
I've noticed you can tell alot from asking them if they think they can play well.

Good: I'm alright, still learning and practicing alot. Also knows some theory.

Bad: Yeah I can play anything, huh? what the hells a bar chord?
Quote by Silver-spear94
what about jazzrock fusion?

Wait, are you asking me?
Quote by JilaX^

So because someone's focused on one style/genre they're a bad guitarist?

Yup - B.B. King is one of the worst guitar players I've ever heard
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Good: Aknowledges their limits and embraces them while at the same time seeking to further them.

Bad:
Quote by Deliriumbassist
are simply guitarists, not musicians

Best possibly way of summing it up.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Good: Good tone.

Bad: Bad tone.

Have you ever heard a good guitarist with awful tone? it doesn't happen often when it happens at all.
Sig What?
Quote by Venice King
If they're wearing a Megadeth t-shirt?

You mean to say that's a GOOD thing, right? ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Good: whenever there's a situation in which multiple guitarists are hanging around with their instruments present, he is never the first one to start playing, and may be the last.

Bad: whenever there's a situation in which multiple guitarists are hanging around with their instruments present, he is always the first one to start playing

So if there's a group of good guitarists (by your definition) together with instruments present, they'll likely never start playing anything because they will all be waiting for everyone else to start playing?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I don't see how this has anything to do with guitar playing, just pretentiousness.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Vai said you could tell by control of bends. Kinda true to a point.
Good - can jam with other musicians without resorting to just playing songs they know.

Bad - Assumes they don't need theory, and will actively slag people who do know it.

(PS, if you don't know any theory and consider yourself a guitarist, kindly **** away off. You aren't wanted anywhere)
Good: They know their way around a guitar.

Bad: They have to dance to weird eurobeats with a guitar swung below the nuts whenever a breakdown starts.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by Casketcreep
Good - can jam with other musicians without resorting to just playing songs they know.

Bad - Assumes they don't need theory, and will actively slag people who do know it.

(PS, if you don't know any theory and consider yourself a guitarist, kindly **** away off. You aren't wanted anywhere
)

You know, knowing theory can be done without technically knowing the names and such of chords or scales.

Examples.

none of them 'knew theory' in the traditional way.