sorry about the annoying topic title.

I have a crummy squire start and I've never changed / bought electric strings before. I don't like the way the strings bend and feel very thin, etc. Can someone recommend a good set of strings to use that will feel more like acoustic strings. Im going to order from strings by mail. if someone could tell me a specific kind that would be great. thanks!
Last edited by blackmajik2021 at Dec 14, 2009,
for that you would have to lower the tension, or you'll bend your neck, so unless you wanna spend money to get it set up and tune it to drop B, or bend your neck, dont buy heavy gauge strings
Quote by Minkaro
I''d congratulate him.

To be fair, he's done amazingly well to punch my hand when it's usually in my pocket.
I personally like D'addario strings. I don't know what the difference is between brands, apart from the fact that Gibson Britewires strings corrode really quickly (for some reason).

A squier strat usually comes stock with a 9-42 guage. I'd say try something like 11-52. That'll give you a lot more tension. While not as thick as acoustic strings, they'll still exert a lot of tension because they're made of steel, rather than bronze.

Do keep in mind that you'll need to adjust the springs in the back to keep it balanced and in tune.
You could get some thicker strings like Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys but they are really for downtuning, why do you want an acoustic feel so bad?
because I never ever bend strings, I hate the way it sounds, and I do it by accident all the time because I'm used to pushing really hard when I play my acoustic.

and I have no idea how to adjust the springs/change the strings, it looks really complicated. its so simple on my acoustic -_-;
Last edited by blackmajik2021 at Dec 14, 2009,
I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (11s) (and in standard tuning) on my MIM strat. It took me a lot of practice to bend as easily as 9s, and I rarely accidentally bend. They feel and sound great.
GHS Boomer Extra Light strings don’t feel thin but they play like they are, give them a try. As for learning to string a guitar, do yourself a favor and get an experienced musician to walk you through it. And buy a .99¢ string winder, trust me.
D’Addario strings break pretty easily so they’re no so great for beginners.
Erine Ball Slinky Top Heavy Bottoms, 10-52 and shouldn't need too much tweeking. That's what I got on one of my Strats, the other has Not Even Slinky's one it but it drop tuned. The Slinky's have a good feel, I wouldn't say acoustic but for a standard tuned guitar an acoustic feel would take a guitar tech.
In the Valley of Vung
Last edited by Mr. Parker at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by random-emo-kill
for that you would have to lower the tension, or you'll bend your neck, so unless you wanna spend money to get it set up and tune it to drop B, or bend your neck, dont buy heavy gauge strings

Wat? Adjusting the truss rod isn't exactly difficult, and unless you're a total girl it's not going to be much more difficult to play, i've put 12s on my guitar before (In E standard...) without having to adjust the truss rod, i liked the feel, but it was impossible to bend as far as i wanted too.

Just buy some heavier gauge strings TS. 10-52s are what i use, bit slacker on the higher strings for easier bends, perfect for me though.

Daddario make 11-52's which would probably be great for what you're asking. And if you really dont like to bend and want to be hardcore 12-54s.

Daddario XL nickelwound are the "standard" daddarios, id go for them if you aren't sure what you're looking for.

Heavy gauges get a ballsier tone and really help improve accuracy and technique.
Last edited by beckyjc at Dec 14, 2009,
The problem you're going to run into here is that you will have to adjust the truss rod and trem, and the nut probably won't be cut for big strings so they'll bind in the nut slots. I would take it into a reputable shop for a setup (and give then the strings of your choice) unless you're up to working on the nut and doing setup work.

I'd give D'Addario 11's (just the normal ones you can find at any guitar shop) a try. They're decent and not super expensive.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by random-emo-kill

To the OP. When Random said this he was probably assuming you must have a VERY cheap Squier with plywood for a neck or something. And on the subject of the strings binding it's true, You should have a guitar nut cut specifically for the set of strings you're going to use. So anyway... D'addario strings are recommended, I can't speak for all the varieties they have because I haven't tried them yet but you should avoid the baritone ones because those are for baritone guitars.

And learn about basic guitar setup if you haven't done it yet.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Ernie ball power slinkys(11's) see how ya like those, they really build finger strength for me.
seriously people who say a guitars cant handle heavy gauges and "loopy" ive seen med. thin necks handle 14s and 15s before. only guitars that shouldn't live are those damn super thin necks with the thickness of my freakin thumb..