e||---------------------------------------------------------------------------7h8h7-----7h8h10||
B||------------------------------------------------------------7h8h7-----7h8h10-----10--------||
G||--------------------------------------------7h8h7-----7h8h10-------10----------------------||
D||---------------------------7h8h7------7h8h10-------10--------------------------------------||
A||----------7h8h7------7h8h10-------10-------------------------------------------------------||
E||--7h8h10----------10-----------------------------------------------------------------------||

e||---------------------------------------------------------------------------7h9h7-----7h9h10||
B||------------------------------------------------------------7h9h7-----7h9h10-----10--------||
G||--------------------------------------------7h9h7-----7h9h10-------10----------------------||
D||---------------------------7h9h7------7h9h10-------10--------------------------------------||
A||----------7h9h7------7h9h10-------10-------------------------------------------------------||
E||--7h9h10----------10-----------------------------------------------------------------------||

In various places up and down the neck...

I don't know if this is a well known run, but I find it very easy to do very fast; could this be a bad thing?

Would you guys say this is worth practicing? If not, I'd really like some other good ones that can help both my speed and accuracy. (Yes, I've read the Freepower sticky and I have been working on some of his, but more is always better.)

EDIT: Forgot a few notes :P
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at Dec 14, 2009,
Its a pretty common practice run,I use it myself.But yeah its very useful for adapting your fingers to changes.
First, you should try to learn songs, not just run through exercises. Exercises are great for warming up, but after that, you should find a song you like and try to learn it. Secondly, mix up your fingers. Don't just play your fingers in order. Do something like

e|-------------------
B|-------------------
G|-------------------
D|-------------------
A|----------8p7----7-
E|-8p7h10p7-----10---

Doing it all legato is just fine, but the reason that your version is easy to play fast is probably because you are rolling your wrist.

EDIT: after seeing your edit, it's not too bad. But still learn some songs.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Dec 14, 2009,
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, mostly all I do is cover songs.

I'm actually trying to learn how to practice effectively to actually be precise and up to tempo when covering bands like Megadeth and Racer X (Paul Guilbert).
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by tenfold
Yeah it's quite easy to play. IMO you should be playing things that are hard so you can get better overall.

Could you provide any tabs for some really tough exercises?

I know the one I posted is easy, but keeping it under control while running through it very quickly still helps your overall finger precision doesn't it?
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

Here's a rather long exercise, but I think it's worth it. It's all alternate picking eighth-note triplets at 120 BPM.

e|-10-7--------------10---8---7----------7-10-7-------7-14-10----------------------10-14-10------------8-12-10-7-------7-10-
B|------8---8---10----------------10---8--------8---8---------12----------------12------------------10-----------8---8------
G|--------7---7----7----7---7---7----7------------7--------------11----------11-------------------9----------------9--------
D|------------------------------------------------------------------12----12-------------------10---------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------14-------------------12------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by Scopic
Could you provide any tabs for some really tough exercises?

Tough depends on what ones you're worst at... so here's the whole tab from Rock Discipline. Go down past the arpeggiated chords and into the picking stuff.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cnnqwjjmdz3
Doing all of those will severely help your ability to play things. Things you suck at will improve, and things you were already good at will seem to come with greater ease.