Okay guys... I just bought a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Used with the older 81/85 set up...

the bridge was a little crooked from being in a box and traveling 2000 miles. How high do i need the strings to be from the frets? I'm not sure which bridge i have, so you guys are going to have to help me with that... should i just get it to a point where its comfortable or what? This would be my first bridge adjustment.

any help is very much appreciated.
It should be comfortable really, but not too low or anything so that you get fret buzz. You'll have to do the intonation as well, but just go on Youtube, and it'll be set. It wouldn't help if you checked the truss rod to see if that's healthy.

Infact, after you've raised the action or whatever, just go on Youtube and type in 'how to set up a guitar'.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
You'll be aiming for 1 ro 1.5mm above the frets at the 12th fret. If its the T-O-M bridge just slacken the strings enough to give adjustment.
If it has a Floyd Rose type bridge there is a tip. Take the measurement at the 12th fret before you start. then see how far it has to go up or down to get what you want. Double that figure because the 12th is exactly half the length of the string. So if you need to lower by 1mm at 12th you would lower the bridge 2mm. So far so good. Slacken off the strings so you can pull the bridge away from the pivot posts which you can then adjust without scraping the edge of the pivoting blade (easiest way to ruin a FR trem system). Set it back up, tune it and check for fret buzz etc. You may need further adjustments but that's FRs for you. Then set intonation, plate level as per the FR setup thread. Shouldn't take more than half a day.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

sounds like you'll want to measure neck relief.

the "how to" is in the first post, if you click the green link in my sig.

read measure and post back.

also, do we know if it's a floyd yet? is there a locking nut?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i understand that that this guitar has a naturally low action play style for speed, but it shouldn't be getting buzz right? not a FR.

EDIT: it IS a TOM.

Maybe i should try adjusting the saddles? or would that just give me more problems?

Not sure about the locking nut.
Last edited by Taco_Masher at Dec 14, 2009,
ok if it's a TOM, then you dont have a locking nut.

if the buzz is coming from the first few frets, you need to measure the neck relief. again located in the first post , if you click the green link.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

okay.... i think i fixed it, but i didnt understand that meausring neck relief one bit... lol if it comes back after i stretch the strings completely, ill just post again.

thanks alot jl. everyone else too.
ok, let me explain a little for you.

if you think that the guitar's neck is bowed backwards in a way that's causing the first few frets to buzz, then you should measure the neck's angle.

a simple way to see how straight you neck is, is to

fret the Low E at the first fret. At the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret, At the place where the neck meets the body.

ok, so you've got the guitar in front of you.

your finger is fretting the low E, in 2 places. (the first and last fret)
now, look at the middle part of the neck.

is the string laying flat on the fretwire there, when you hold the string in those 2 places?

if it is, and you want to adjust that, then post back here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

it's no problem.

basically, if you can't adjust the bridge to get the action low enough for your liking, without getting fret buzz, that transmits thru the amp, your next step is to check the neck's relief.

when you fret, you realize that the string touches the board when both places are held, so instead of a slight banana shape, your neck is board straight or a touch backwards.

to add a little space at the middle, and hopefully lift the string off the first few frets, you'll want to

Find the correct sized allen wrench for your truss rod.
then
you'll want to turn 1/4 turn in a Counter Clockwise direction.

this is a very small turn.

after you're done turning, make sure the guitar is in tune.
you are done adjusting the neck for the night.

DON't force the turn or turn more than 1/4 turn tonight.

fee free to measure it again, play it, and even adjust the bridge again if needed.

then post back tomorrow, let me know if the relief has changed at all.

a pic i stole from athensmusician.

yours is back-bow
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 14, 2009,