I was wondering if anyone has swapped the 6L6's for EL34's and if so what tonal differences it made. BTW I have a 2X12 combo version.
Guitars
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Schecter C1 E/A
Schecter C1+
PRS Singlecut SE
Takamine Acoustic

Amps/Cab
Bugera 6262 2X12
Egnater Tweaker 40W 1X12

Effects
Crybaby Wah
MXR Phase 90
MXR Noise Gate
Boss DD-3
Boss CH-1
Boss TU-2
well I'm not speaking from experience but it should give it more of a British grit sound...Great gear by the way
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by chuckmehh
.Great gear by the way

Thanks
Guitars
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Schecter C1 E/A
Schecter C1+
PRS Singlecut SE
Takamine Acoustic

Amps/Cab
Bugera 6262 2X12
Egnater Tweaker 40W 1X12

Effects
Crybaby Wah
MXR Phase 90
MXR Noise Gate
Boss DD-3
Boss CH-1
Boss TU-2
Hey man. ive been running a quad of KT77s in my 6262 head and they sound amazing! KT77s are an El34 type tube..with alot more lowend then a standard EL34, a but more smoother and less sizzley. i love the 6l6 tubes, but kinda like the top end bite of the el34s too, so i went with the KT77, which is the best of both worlds. the KT77s dont have as much low end as 6l6s, but they are close enough. also another good option if you are wanting to go the "el34" route is the E34Ls, slightyl more lowend then the El34 and has that el34 sizzle to it. ive tried EL34s in my head before and wasnt impressed..lacked balls imo. but yeah if you like the 6l6 tone, but want something new..try the KT77s. awsome breakup, good lowend and full of chunkyness.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
HouseBoy83, any chance you could give me an idea of what range of bands/guitarists tones you get with the KT77s?
I'm due a new amp soon and Im very much considering one of these...

Cheers
Quote by PabloGilberto
HouseBoy83, any chance you could give me an idea of what range of bands/guitarists tones you get with the KT77s?
I'm due a new amp soon and Im very much considering one of these...

Cheers

Ummmm lets see. well i changing the tubes really doesnt change what types of styles you can play on the amp. but it can still do anything from a clean, gritty clean tone--all the way to full shred man. i dont really play metal at all..mostly punk rock(80s/90s punk with a hint of new and 70s stuff) i use a fair amount of gain, gain on about 3-4 on the lead channel and about 5 on the crunch function. i cant really say what bands/guitarists use KT77s. but it can still get pretty damn heavy with tons of gain left over. i play styles from bands like Pennywise, NOFX, Ignite, Dropkick Murpheys, Hot Water Music, Face To Face, Strung Out, Bad Religion, Ramones, Riverdales, The Draft, etc....
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
HouseBoy, cheers for the info but I think I mighta worded it different from what I meant...
I've played one of these amps a fair few times, tried it for different stuff and I like it, I just wondered if changing the power section to KT77's would give it a much tighter, more defined low end - that kinda tone you hear in Jeff Loomis' rhythm playing in Nevermore, or in Bulb's poppy tight low-end punch he gets in songs like Icarus Lives.

I'm fairly familiar with valve amps, and high gain amps in general, I've just never had experience with KT77s - mainly because its all high end, boutique and expensive equipment that has them as standard!

Natehimself, Im sure you mean in reference to the EL84s, yeah? I could see why they'd change the tone, but I think you'd be best clarifying saying they're more British than Marshally.
well sounds to be like you are more after that lowend chug, since i saw you said something about wanting a tighter lowend tone. so 6l6gcs will be better for that if big lowend is what you are wanting. Kt77s have a good bit of lowend, but not as much as 6l6gcs have. KT77s break up a bit faster on the clean channel using bigger volumes, so if you need like clean cleans and Massive tight lowend, then 6l6gcs will be the way to go. but try a set of KT77s if you want man, here them for yourself..you might like them better..you never know. i keep a couple of sets of jj 6l6s and JJ kt77s, and have a set of E34Ls here, just to experiment with every now and then.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA