I'm looking for a first tube amp, because my Spider III P.O.S. (Piece of ...) 30 watt solid state is not loud enough and the distortion on it is terrible. I use a PODxt Live for effects, which has good heavy distortion and effects but not much by way of classic rock tube tone. My budget is from $300 - 750 or so, $1000 at the absolute most. I play Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Boston, Foreigner, Eagles, Clapton/ Cream, Satriani, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Van Halen, ZZ Top... pretty much just a variety of classic rock. Im looking for a amp with good clean, good overdrive/ distortion, and good reverb/delay with no effects because it just drives the price up and I DONT need it. I looked at Bugera's 333xl combo and it looks good but I'm not really experienced with tube amps. Bottom line is, whats best for $300-750 tube combo thats versatile with good clean, OD, and reverb, thats like 30-100 watts? Thanks for the help I appreciate it
Peavey Classic 30
used Marshall JCM combos
Egnater Rebel 20
Bugera V55
Vox AC15
Fender Hot Rod DeVille (You're gonna want an OD pedal for this one)

Also, I'm going off of hearsay on this one, but apparently the new Soldano makes (Jet City Amps) are suppossed to be really good for the price, $400 head and $200 cabinet, combo sized, too, not a huge stack. Check out the JCA20H and the 1x12 it comes with.

PS, Metallica =/= Classic Rock
I tried a 120 watt Bugera, and its good if you want a nice crunchy tone.But i went with a fender hot rod that i will be playing with pedals because it had a smoother tone. JUst go to sam ash or guitar center and try everything out until you find the right match
yeah i know metallicas not classic rock; its just that everything else is so...
btw if it helps i have a fender mim strat with bare knuckles irish tour in the neck stock in the middle and bare knuckles sinner in the bridge. im almost set on the bugera because my podxt can model some good cleans and it can work with even a spider III's clean. besides i play with mostly distortion. what type of bugera do you recommend though ive only seriously looked at the 333xl
Last edited by pwntone at Dec 14, 2009,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM-900-100-watt-hi-gain-JCM900-combo-xlnt_W0QQitemZ360216933070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53de9a32ce

There you go, should be exactly what you're looking for.

EDIT: For Bugeras, the best Classic Rock type I've ever played was the V55, $400. Though it can't really get up to high gain territories, it can get you a nice OD tone.
Last edited by phlip999 at Dec 14, 2009,
thanks that amp is awesome and all cuz its a marshall but its also used and being sold on ebay with only 3 day return, and it could break in like a week and i wouldnt be able to do anything... i looked at sound samples of the bugera v55 and its what i need for clean and distortion, and its only $449.99 on musiciansfriend.com which is pretty damn awesome. besides you can get better sound than the 120 watt one cause i dont need it to be loud (if i did, it has cabinet outputs anyway.) thanks for help guys rock on
Quote by phlip999
Peavey Classic 30
used Marshall JCM combos
Egnater Rebel 20
Bugera V55
Vox AC15
Fender Hot Rod DeVille (You're gonna want an OD pedal for this one)

Also, I'm going off of hearsay on this one, but apparently the new Soldano makes (Jet City Amps) are suppossed to be really good for the price, $400 head and $200 cabinet, combo sized, too, not a huge stack. Check out the JCA20H and the 1x12 it comes with.

PS, Metallica =/= Classic Rock

Haven't tried the Jet City yet...but the rest of this list is good if you're going to use the POD
Go for the Bugera. Great amp.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Bugera 1990
Marshall Jcm 900/800/2000 Used
Randall RM20 or RM50, (i think thats what its called)
Jet city JCA20H
Peavey classic 30

I think you should try to find the randall used, you can buy modules for it that model different amp tones, and has great versatility
The Randall series mentioned by sparky is fantastic; I have one
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
I just bought a used 6505 2x12 for 599. I would look used if I were you.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
The 333 is a gorgeous amp. I'd recommend it,
being an [proud] owner = D
Quite flexible, great cleans, nice crunch and good
leads.
Haven't tried the newer b00gs based off Marshalls
though, nor have i ever been a huge fan of Marhalls.
You won't be disapointed with a Bugera though.
Here is my HARD earned advice. Steer clear of the Bugera. In the past 5 months I have had 3 go bad, 2 -1990's and 1 333. I am currently waiting for another replacement 333, I have been waiting for nearly 2 weeks.

I really like the sound of the Bugera (for the money), But I have never seen such a high failure rate. I think the reason that it is taking so long for my latest replacement is because Bugera is having to replace so many.

If you can't afford a new Peavey or Marshall, shop for a good used one.

Before anyone gets upset. I have nothing to gain or lose, I just want everyone to hear my experience with the Bugera. And unfortunatly it is not over, I cannot get my money back and the resell value on these is not the best.