Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new tube amp head, and I loved the JCM 2000 DSL. However, a new part-time job has come my way, and they carry the Marshall JVM410H, which means nasty discount. I personally have never played on the head. From the demos and product reviews I have seen, it seems pretty complicated to operate, but once you get it down it seems to have alot of options for sounds/tones.

Have you guys had any experience with this head? Is it able to produce JCM 800-like sounds?

The guitars I currently own are a Jackson SL2h with passive SD JB and '59 pups, and a Jackson Dinky with the EMG 81/85 combo in it.

Thanks!

RMOA
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
900s are cheaper and much easier/convenient to operate... alot of people give them a bad wrap for heavier sounds but a 900 biased correctly will blow your mind.

but as far as the Jvms go, i was going to buy one because i have a buddy that works at best buy (they have a FILTHY discount) but when i plugged into it, there was just too much going on. I had a very hard time operating the thing and finding a sound that i liked. Theres just too much going on with those amps. so i settled on a 900
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 14, 2009,
it was $2,199.99 marked down to ~~$1250 bucks... I dont remember the EXACT number because this was about a month ago, but its a sick deal! the amp was just too complicated to operate for me.

my 900 is like a hot-rodded 800 but with the available footswitchable channels, which the 800 lacks. it is absolutely sick, it has that legitimate marshall voice that i think they failed to capture with the JCM 2000's IMHO
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Thats not too shabby price wise- does the JVM head have the ability to sound like the JCM's though?

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

if you mess with it enough im sure you can get it to sound CLOSE, i just didnt have the patience to sit and **** around with the dials to find a sound i liked. i cannot imagine it being a convenient amplifier to gig with.

But yeah man, go try one out and see if it's for you, because theres nothing worse than taking a dive on a purchase and ending up getting something you didnt want.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
get an SL-X ( pretty cheap, usually go for 500-600 USD) or JCM 800 I play thrash and Mastodon Stuff and I nail those tones with the JCM 900 SL-X with EL34
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Adrian89
get an SL-X ( pretty cheap, usually go for 500-600 USD) or JCM 800 I play thrash and Mastodon Stuff and I nail those tones with the JCM 900 SL-X with EL34

listen to this dude, i got my head for 500 even... though mines a 4500 dual reverb with 6L6's. it was the best 500 dollars i can ever remember spending, aside from my camaro!
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Thanks for the responses guys-

I've tried looking for the SL-X before, but there aren't alot of used ones that crop up in NY.

Does anybody here in the forum own the JVM and have any experiences with it??

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

the JVM is really a great amp. You would have no problems getting the tones you want with it.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I dig mine also! great classic rock and metal amp!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Well, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) has used one for the past two albums. Watch stuff from Symphony of Instruction to get a decent idea of the tone.

I've messed around on one in a store, and I'll admit, I was very impressed. I haven't played any true vintage 800's, but I was able to get a decent early Metallica-Megadeth sound out of it. I'm willing to bet that if I'd had the money on spot and didn't have JCM2000, I'd have gotten it with no regrets.

And yeah, the cleans and OD channels get a really nice classic rock/hard rock tone, so there's a bonus.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I've spent a good bit of time with both the JVM and my buddies DSL50. Make no mistake about it. The JVM TOTALLY SMOKES the DSL!!!! Everything about it just kills the DSL. The cleans and reverb are the best I've ever heard out of a Marshall (and I'm 44, I've heard a ton). The drive channels can do pretty much anything and do it WELL. It seems a bit complicated but it's not a big deal, you'll have it figured out in no time. If I were you, I'd jump on that JVM while you can.
If you're looking for a thrash tone, Megadeth recorded United Abominations and Endgame exclusively with the JVM series amps (despite Chris Broderick's ENGL Powerball endorsement), and they at least toured for Endgame exclusively with JVMs (I didn't see them on the United Abominations tour).

So check out those albums. If you like the tone Dave, Glen, and Chris got, try a JVM out, maybe you can get somewhere close.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
If you're looking for a thrash tone, Megadeth recorded United Abominations and Endgame exclusively with the JVM series amps (despite Chris Broderick's ENGL Powerball endorsement), and they at least toured for Endgame exclusively with JVMs (I didn't see them on the United Abominations tour).

So check out those albums. If you like the tone Dave, Glen, and Chris got, try a JVM out, maybe you can get somewhere close.

Hmm the fact that Megadeth uses the JVM makes me want to sit down with it and really try it out...

Thanks for the info guys!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

yeah, its a sick buy for your money if you can get it discounted! seeing what it retails at and all
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Quote by Justice4AllOne

Actually Dave recorded United Abominations with a custom Line 6 amp.

I also thought that live Dave used an EL34 100/100 Marshall Power Amp, with a Digitech GSP1101, though I could be wrong.

I don't know what Dave used for Endgame, but I'm guessing a JVM.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Actually Dave recorded United Abominations with a custom Line 6 amp.

I also thought that live Dave used an EL34 100/100 Marshall Power Amp, with a Digitech GSP1101, though I could be wrong.

I don't know what Dave used for Endgame, but I'm guessing a JVM.

Did he really?
I read an article online quite recently that said Dave used JVM amps for United Abominations, though perhaps they were mistaken.
I don't know what Dave used on the UA tour, but I just saw them on the 7th, and he and Chris both plugged into a JVM, and I know for a fact that they used them on Endgame. So if TS liked that tone, the JVM is worth a try.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
900s are cheaper and much easier/convenient to operate... alot of people give them a bad wrap for heavier sounds but a 900 biased correctly will blow your mind.

but as far as the Jvms go, i was going to buy one because i have a buddy that works at best buy (they have a FILTHY discount) but when i plugged into it, there was just too much going on. I had a very hard time operating the thing and finding a sound that i liked. Theres just too much going on with those amps. so i settled on a 900

the jvm is easy to operate. it does death metal and thrash well. enough gain for sure. i would enjoy owning one.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by Crohny
the jvm is easy to operate. it does death metal and thrash well. enough gain for sure. i would enjoy owning one.

yeah but im a newb with tube amps, i just recently purchased my first one and so far i am extremely satisfied

but threadstarter.... definitely jump on that deal
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat