This may be in the wrong fourm or whatever and is also a pretty dumb question maybe. Im just wondering im looking at a guitar and it has 2 of the same pickups in the bridge and neck spot? what does that do, like just enhance it or what? do you guys think it's better that way? thanks
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Do you mean humbuckers? Like two coils in the bridge and the neck?

EDIT

Id Est

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Super_Humbucker_V-2_pickup_on_an_Ibanez_Studio_electric_guitar.jpg
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 14, 2009,
ones a neck pickup and the other is a treble pickup, the treble pickup being closest to the bridge. it gives you more of a well trebley sound. the other gives you alot warmer sound, switch between the two of them as they both give you two different tones
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
First off, they may look the same but not be the same. The bridge pickup is often wound hotter.

Second, even if they are the same, they will sound different because of the physics involved. When a guitar string oscillates, it produces both the fundamental tone, and what are called harmonics - higher frequencies that are for example 2x (or an octave) or more higher than the fundamental frequency. Those harmonics are more easily picked up by the bridge pickup, so your tone there sounds brighter and more aggressive.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
First off, they may look the same but not be the same. The bridge pickup is often wound hotter.

Second, even if they are the same, they will sound different because of the physics involved. When a guitar string oscillates, it produces both the fundamental tone, and what are called harmonics - higher frequencies that are for example 2x (or an octave) or more higher than the fundamental frequency. Those harmonics are more easily picked up by the bridge pickup, so your tone there sounds brighter and more aggressive.

More than that is the simple position under the strings. The pickup closer to the bridge will pick up the brighter tone coming from the bridge where the neck will pick up a mellower tone. This can be demonstrated on an unamplified acoustic guitar. Pick near the bridge and you'll get a harder, brighter sound. Pick near the neck and you'll get a mellower sound.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
More than that is the simple position under the strings. The pickup closer to the bridge will pick up the brighter tone coming from the bridge where the neck will pick up a mellower tone. This can be demonstrated on an unamplified acoustic guitar. Pick near the bridge and you'll get a harder, brighter sound. Pick near the neck and you'll get a mellower sound.

The reason that happens is has to do with the higher harmonics and where the nodes and anti-nodes for each harmonic are. With respect to picking in different locations having a different sound, it has to do with the fact that your pick somewhat dampens the fundamental and less so the harmonics. In an extreme case, that's how you get a pinch harmonic - by completely damping the fundamental with your picking hand.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by Even Bigger D
The reason that happens is has to do with the higher harmonics and where the nodes and anti-nodes for each harmonic are. With respect to picking in different locations having a different sound, it has to do with the fact that your pick somewhat dampens the fundamental and less so the harmonics. In an extreme case, that's how you get a pinch harmonic - by completely damping the fundamental with your picking hand.

I understand a moderate amount about strings and harmonics and such but I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying. I'll take your word for it however.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well they are both EMG 81's. I thougt because they were the same pickup the sound wouldnt differ if I switched. so they are the same...just wondering also then why dont most guitars have 2 of the same pickups?
Last edited by bloodlust_panda at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by bloodlust_panda
well they are both EMG 81's. I thougt because they were the same pickup the sound wouldnt differ if I switched. so they are the same...just wondering also then why dont most guitars have 2 of the same pickups?

A lot of guitars DO have 2 or 3 of basically the same pickup. Strats have three identical (or nearly so) single coils. Older Gibsons had two identical p90s or PAFs. And those are about as classic as it gets.

Two EMG 81s however strikes me as an odd combination. Maybe you get twice the metal brutality
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

A lot of beginner guitars have the same two pickups in them. ESP and Dean are well known for that, and while they're labeled the same, i bet they're wound slightly different.

But yes, double EMG 81's sounds like a combination that'll make a guitar explode from too much br00talzness.
No, they don't sound the same.

An 81 in the bridge is a lot brighter than it is in the neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
haha im liking the sound of teh br00talzness....but um how would it sound for like some good power ballads or something? And I tend not to like that trebly bridge pickup sound for my solos so i switch to my neck...its not going to be to trebly and brootal right?
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I understand a moderate amount about strings and harmonics and such but I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying. I'll take your word for it however.

It's one of those things that's hard to explain in words
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

The reason that neck and bridge pickups sound different is that the sting vibrations are stronger towards the middle of the neck. That's why you usually want a weaker pickup for the neck. The attack is sharper and more defined towards the bridge. It's also more trebly. It's all string physics. It has nothing to do with harmonics as there's no universal pickup location. Once you finger a note, the harmonic nodes change.