What do you guys think of the Vox Night Train 15W head? I'm looking for a nice low wattage tube amp head and was wanting to check this out. Does it sound good for the price? What kind of cab should go with it? Any help would be great.
What do you play?
Budget?
Used or new?

For what it does the Night Train is a pretty good amp.

Haven't heard much about it ending up in the workshop.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Great little amps. Tons of great tones packed into them.

My buddy runs a Mesa 1x12 loaded with a MC-90 in it. Sounds silly good.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Sampson Era Bad Cat Black Cat 30R
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Korg Pitchblack
In my opinion it's a little overpriced. I'v played it and I can say I like the Jet City JCA20 much better. Everyone has their on tastes though so just maybe go try them if you can. Also in this price range is the Ht-5 and the Tiny terror along with the egnater rebel 20 so theres lots to choose from.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Great amps. I was dead set on a Tiny Terror until I played the Night Train. I run it with a 212 Carvin cab or a 112 Custom AB cab. I've owned a few low wattage tube amps...but I really dig the sound of the VOX.
Quote by BobDetroit
I have to have a serial effects loop....

Corrected
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Roundwounds
The thing that I don't like about it is the lack of a footswitch

Footswitch?

what do you plan to switch on the amp? It's a single channel amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by matt s
In my opinion it's a little overpriced. I'v played it and I can say I like the Jet City JCA20 much better. Everyone has their on tastes though so just maybe go try them if you can. Also in this price range is the Ht-5 and the Tiny terror along with the egnater rebel 20 so theres lots to choose from.

The HT-5 is closer compared to the Valve Junior and BlackHeart Little Giant (?), as well as the Vox AC4TV. Depending on what the you're looking for you should definitely check some of those out also.

All those little tube amps look really neat just to take around and jam or practise with.

Theres also the larger Egnater Rebel 20, as stated above, which is similar to the Orange Dual Terror and Valve Senior. Actually I'd trust in the Egnater, I've played the (massive!) Tourmaster 4100 and it was AMAZING, best amp I've played, and for only $1600 (CND). For all the features and size, that is definitely a good deal.
its a good rock amp. i like the open back cab with the greenie it comes with. or search used at that price and see what is out there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ragingkitty
Footswitch?

You caught the n00b red handed.

TS, it's a great little classic/hard rock amp. Not exactly versatile but very, very good at what it does. It's less thick/muddy than the Tiny Terror which is the major downfall of that amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx

You caught the n00b red handed.

On a forum of gear wh0res... you'd better know your gear better than you know your home.

I see that the invasion of the n00bers/trolls has begun.

Suit up men, its time for war!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )

Remember the power armour, chainswords and boltguns!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )

I haven't heard Warhammer 40k mentioned since 8th grade. I did recently get Dawn of War II though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
this thread just died
il get the defibulator

the topic is this!!!

not this!!!!

back to work
i played the nigh train at gc with a les paul trad pro and i loved it the cleans were nice and the thick switch on in the pentode mode with the gain pegged had a very nice rock distortion not high gain though if thats what you are looking for
Last edited by GuernZila at Dec 15, 2009,
night train rules...

so do funny cat pics
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ragingkitty
Footswitch?

dude, the guy was clearly talking about a switch to change from bright mode to thick mode... according to a guy at the plexi palace someone is working on a mod to make it possible. this is the thread i read it in

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83962&start=30

but i mean seriously, does anyone doubt that they're going to bring out a two channel 30 watt version?

tiny terror --> dual terror
rebel 20 ---> rebel 30
Quote by spitonastranger
dude, the guy was clearly talking about a switch to change from bright mode to thick mode... according to a guy at the plexi palace someone is working on a mod to make it possible. this is the thread i read it in

Yes... I'm sure he was.

As a stock feature on that amp, that would be about as useful as having teeth in one's arse.

Even mmolteratx thought of channel switching.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
How loud is it compared to a solid state amp? im not to familiar with low wattage tube amps. thanks.
explain why the abillity to change from one sound to another sound on an amp by use of a pedal is a useless feature?

plus the guy didn't specify why he wanted a footswitch, so there's no point in presuming that he wanted it so he could play the whole of stairway to heaven without a stomp box.
Quote by Mookystinks
How loud is it compared to a solid state amp? im not to familiar with low wattage tube amps. thanks.

Errrrr...

You can't compare volume that way.

The wattage basically tells you how much power will course through the amp (aka how loud it'll get) can get before the power tubes clip.

For different amps, the volume it'll clip at differs (the Night Train may clip when the volume goes to 5, but another 15 watt amp may clip when the volume is cranked to 6).

As an inaccurate indicator... you should be able to compete with and overpower a 30 watt solid state with no difficulties.

Quote by spitonastranger
explain why the abillity to change from one sound to another sound on an amp by use of a pedal is a useless feature?

plus the guy didn't specify why he wanted a footswitch, so there's no point in presuming that he wanted it so he could play the whole of stairway to heaven without a stomp box.

Its not a practical feature because of the cost involved. The addition of such a feature would net more cost than benefit. You want one, you fit one.

The voicing change is not sufficiently drastic to justify having such a feature stock in terms of cost vs benefits.

By that logic... amps such as the Mesa MkV and Roadkings would have footswitches the length of football stadium because one of their feature changes are even more drastic than a Tight/Bright switch. However they do not, because the change in tone is not sufficiently drastic to justify the cost involved.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Mookystinks

It's loud enough to play over a drummer, while staying clean. I never have to mic up at practice...and my volume knob never goes above 1 o'clock. 15 watts tube is plenty loud.
I've played the night train pretty extensively, as well as the Jet City JCA20H, and while both amps sound great, the Jet City blew the Vox out of the water. Especially for the price. I mean, 300 bucks for a head?
And about the wattage, that depends on how loud the drummer is. I have a Peavey Classic 30, the volume on that is 1-12. Depending on the drummer I'm with, I have to play at somewhere in between 4 and 7. Yes, 7. I know its ridiculous, but it really does depend on the drummer.
i stumbled upon it at the local store a few weeks back and played. i was sold after only few minutes. proud owner today.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by ragingkitty

Remember the power armour, chainswords and boltguns!

WH 40k!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
WH 40k!

Can't wait for the movie!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Can't wait for the movie!

?

!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
?

!

You've not heard?

www.ultramarinesthemovie.com/

Talk about GAR!

It'll be EPICZ!

Check out the first of the concept art...

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )