well, when i play, *i play quite fast* i always wind up hearing noises from the guitar strings even when my pick doesn't hit it. like when my fingers let off the string it makes noise, i also get tons of string squeak and etc.

how can i fix the random noises?
i practice a ton, so it's not that.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
I would see you play to fast. Play slow and kill the unwanted noises with demping; palm, free fingers depends on the situation. Learn it slow and gradually increase the speed. Learn to play perfect, no matter how slow, so slow that you can actually see what is goin' on.
Guitar isn't about speed. Speed is just a byproduct of accuracy. Slow down and work on your muting.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
eh. ight..

it'd help if you guys told me correctly how i should mute. i never had an instructor for long enough to know correctly
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
In an attempt to be brief, i'll just say muting is something you need to do with both hands - fretting and picking. Your fretting hand index finger is key. Check out the vid ^^^^ and remember that whenever your 'fast' playing doesn't sound the way you want it to, just slow down until you can identify the error, eliminate it, and then speed up again paying attention not to repeat the same mistakes. Good luck.
If you getting pick off noises you might be doing a slight bend or pressing it too hard into the wood. I used to to do slight bends to avoid the string vibrating against my adjacent fingernail, a bad habit.