Just a quest out there for anyone who is a lefty playing as a righty. I have been playing on/off now for about 20 yrs. I'm left handed but have always played right handed guitars. Not a prob. But I have developed a thirst to play thrash metal. My only prob is developing some speed on my picking hand. Any other lefty's experience this issue and overcome it? I would love to hear from you.
Last edited by Maxisback at Dec 14, 2009,
don't go thinking it's a lefty problem, that probably has very little to do with it..

how to develop speed: play as fast as you can CLEANLY, until you can go a bit faster.
Quote by Maxisback
Just a quest out there for anyone who is a lefty playing as a righty. I have been playing on/off now for about 20 yrs. I'm left handed but have always played right handed guitars. Not a prob. But I have developed a thirst to play thrash metal. My only prob is developing some speed on my picking hand. Any other lefty's experience this issue and overcome it? I would love to hear from you.

You've misdagnosed the problem - it's not about speed and it's certainly not about one hand being "faster" than the other. Being left handed has nothing to do with it either.

Your issue is simply that you're not good enough at using both hands together. You need to slow everything down to a speed at which you can keep it together and work on developing both hands together so you stay in sync.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You've misdagnosed the problem - it's not about speed and it's certainly not about one hand being "faster" than the other. Being left handed has nothing to do with it either.

Your issue is simply that you're not good enough at using both hands together. You need to slow everything down to a speed at which you can keep it together and work on developing both hands together so you stay in sync.

not necissarily, im a lefty and i play righty for both guitar and bass, i find my left arm has much more muscle compared to my right and hence find speed picking and three finger technique (on bass) much more difficult. The only way i got over the three finger technique on bass was lots of practise, im still working on the guitar technique so i cant offer much advice accept defend the lefties who play righty :P
Q: What's the difference between a Mexican standard tele and an American standard tele?

A: £600
Quote by jenguind

Quote by steven seagull

not necissarily, im a lefty and i play righty for both guitar and bass, i find my left arm has much more muscle compared to my right and hence find speed picking and three finger technique (on bass) much more difficult. The only way i got over the three finger technique on bass was lots of practise, im still working on the guitar technique so i cant offer much advice accept defend the lefties who play righty :P

No, I'd say Seagull has it nailed. One hand is always going to be stronger than the other (even if ambidextrous) so this isn't the issue. The issue is with accuracy and as we all know; Speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Practice is the only way to solve this issue, there is no short cut to playing accurately and fast.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
No, I'd say Seagull has it nailed. One hand is always going to be stronger than the other (even if ambidextrous) so this isn't the issue. The issue is with accuracy and as we all know; Speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Practice is the only way to solve this issue, there is no short cut to playing accurately and fast.

Perfect practice. Read about correct technique for practicing. There's a lot of stuff on this site about it.
EDIT I too am a lefty playing a righty.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Last edited by Caressing Death at Dec 16, 2009,
I'm a lefty playing right handed and you definately can train your right hand to be just as good as any right handed guitarist. You might be a little more inclined to play legato at first because of not being comfortable with your right hand, but with proper practice, it becomes second nature
I hate my sig