hey im wondering if there is any way to run a amp cabinet without the head , using a distortion pedal or some other pedal that might work.thanks
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
yes you can use processors like the fractal axe fx and that kind of thing.

pedal =/= axe fx.

in short, no, it doesn't work.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
yes you can use processors like the fractal axe fx and that kind of thing.

i'm pretty sure you still need a power amp if you are using those things. most pedals won't have enough voltage to push the speakers in the cab. i think ehx makes a pedal which can do it called the 22 calibre or something like that.
like a pre amp you mean , and whats the reason a distortion pedal wouldnt work
Quote by joe_k
i'm pretty sure you still need a power amp if you are using those things. most pedals won't have enough voltage to push the speakers in the cab.

yes, a pedal or processor would have a line level output, whereas to actually drive a speaker cabinet, you need a speaker level out, so you would need a power amp
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by safety
like a pre amp you mean , and whats the reason a distortion pedal wouldnt work

you need to amplify your signal enough to be able to push the speakers. a distortion pedal doesn't amplify the signal enough to do this.
Could you run a TubeKing into a power amp? Since the Tubeking has a preamp?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by safety
would a pre amp work?

no

EDIT: ^you can run any pedal you want into a power amp. you can run your guitar straight into a power amp if you wanted. the point of a pre amp is to mould the signal from your guitar into something you find more pleasing. i.e the eq controls on your amp change your signal in the preamp and the power amp just straight out amplifies this signal.
Last edited by joe_k at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by joe_k
i'm pretty sure you still need a power amp if you are using those things. most pedals won't have enough voltage to push the speakers in the cab. i think ehx makes a pedal which can do it called the 22 calibre or something like that.

The Fractal Axe FX has a low wattage SS amplifier built into it so you can play at low volumes without a power amp.
A) You can use most dirt boxes as a preamp. The put out line level signals. My terminology might be wrong, but this is true.

B) You cannot power a speaker cabinet with a preamp.
Anyone ever tried a car power amplifier to drive a cabinet?

If a car power amp costs less maybe could use those.