Page 1 of 2
it seems that everytime i have a jam session it seems like noise.... and then like most of the songs that i admire most came from one songwriter who came up with the lyrics/chords/solos all by themselves
jam sessions are great practice and helps improv a person's playing so much so for you yes its a waste of time

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
They are nice on occasion, but it's good to be serious about your work as a musician.
Buy a Drum Sampler.

Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
If there is no musical chemistry with you and the people you are jamming with it can be pointless at times,if you are trying to make a serious band anyway.
well by what i mean noise is just a bunch of random notes played randomly ---- to me the best guitar solos are the ones you hear in your head before you play them
Quote by Zaphikh
They are nice on occasion, but it's good to be serious about your work as a musician.

The jazz community would have much to say about that.
In my opinion, you have to be good do improv jams.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Do you mean jam sessions with people or by yourself?

By myself I find it pretty productive. But otherwise it depends on the people you're with. I used to jam with a mate of mine all the time and we came up with good stuff. But I've had jams with other people where you try to get some co-operation going on, but as soon as you start someone just goes off and plays their own crap improv which is out of key, and has a different time sig and tempo... when that happens there's not much point really

EDIT: and I should add, as soon as I try to play along with them they change lol...
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by CarmenJuandeago
it seems that everytime i have a jam session it seems like noise...

Then maybe you're a drone metal band?

PS I love drone metal.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Maybe learn to play guitar? It generally helps to make it pleasant sounding.

Oucheth.

Jam sessions may or may not be conducive to anything in terms of songwriting.

They fun as hell though
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
Quote by EnyoAdonai
Do you mean jam sessions with people or by yourself?

By myself I find it pretty productive. But otherwise it depends on the people you're with. I used to jam with a mate of mine all the time and we came up with good stuff. But I've had jams with other people where you try to get some co-operation going on, but as soon as you start someone just goes off and plays their own crap improv which is out of key, and has a different time sig and tempo... when that happens there's not much point really

i mean other people...

what im basically asking is should i even bother to learn how get better at guitar improvisiation versus studying songwriting
jam sessions are great, pushes everyone closer as a band and ultimately makes you more solid as a player.
Quote by blue_strat
The jazz community would have much to say about that.

Not all jazz is a cacophonous mess. Even free-form music has some guide lines as to how the song will progress. Ever Heard of Sun Ra? There was direction in his music as well though most of it couldn't be notated. Improvising your solos =/= jam session.
Not really. They're fun as shit most of the time, and helps your musicianship tons. You're forced to try and create something beautiful with people who have different perspectives on just what 'beautiful' is. It makes you take a step out of that rut you get in from just noodling by yourself, and you have something to take home from the experience, even if it's 'what not to do'.

It's just an amazing feeling when you and a group of people put in their creative energies and it all mixes together to create something incredible.
It's fun when you jam with the right people. But I think one of the main reasons we jam is to improve improvising.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

Quote by Zoot Allures
Seriousness should be laughed at - zappa

And there's nothing laughable about Zappa's notated music and his work ethic.
Quote by CarmenJuandeago
i mean other people...

what im basically asking is should i even bother to learn how get better at guitar improvisiation versus studying songwriting

That depends really. IMO you need to be able to improv, atleast a bit, to write songs. If you stick to theory the whole way, it's not going to sound as good as something which has that personal flare that comes from improvisation.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Maybe you just need to buckle down and start listening to what everyone around you is playing so you can match it. Whenever I jam with my friends we end up each playing something different and it sounds like ass, that's why we compromise and either learn a song or at least get some structure.
Quote by Zaphikh
Not all jazz is a cacophonous mess. Even free-form music has some guide lines as to how the song will progress. Ever Heard of Sun Ra? There was direction in his music as well though most of it couldn't be notated. Improvising your solos =/= jam session.

Funnily enough, I have played some jazz in my time, and most of the jam sessions I‘ve been to have had some sort of pre-determined structure to them.
Quote by CarmenJuandeago
well by what i mean noise is just a bunch of random notes played randomly ---- to me the best guitar solos are the ones you hear in your head before you play them

Lots of great solos are improvised, probably a lot more than you think
you just need to learn more
simple jam session format (at least for jazz/blues/funk)
pick a type of chord progression (ii V I/ i iv v.. etc)
pick a key
or have a pre written out progression
jam

if the people you play with have any knowledge of music, then they should be able to follow those, and would probably know how to jam properly.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by MLilienthal
Lots of great solos are improvised, probably a lot more than you think
you just need to learn more

it seems the solos that are improvised to me are those boring ones that all over those blues-rock albums--- i hate them with passion because they seem to be a bunch of strings of licks played together

as opposed to say this solo here at
4:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60J6HlvfePM

or most queen solos
you must be doing something wrong, ive always consider jam sessions as something positive. nothing but good stuff came out of there
-
Quote by blue_strat
Funnily enough, I have played some jazz in my time, and most of the jam sessions I‘ve been to have had some sort of pre-determined structure to them.

Excellent.

Perhaps if playing with fellow musicians over a chord progression with on-the-spot solos and nuances if your thing, then go for it. I enjoy it on occasion too. But I can't do that for the rest of my life every. single. time. There are times that I sit down and write out specific passages in my head because they stand out and have an intrinsic value to me.

If certain members of "X" community of music want to make snarky comments about how that is "limiting" or not "free" then by all means let them do so. I'm not concerned with their thoughts. If I have a concerto or passage in mind, I'll notate it from beginning to end.

There's nothing to be frowned upon when a musician takes his music seriously, even if it's chance music.
Quote by JakdOnCrack
TS and/or whoever (s)he plays with obviously just aren't good. Jam sessions with competent musicians are the greatest thing in the world.

agreed, especially if everybody brings ideas.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Zaphikh
Excellent.

Perhaps if playing with fellow musicians over a chord progression with on-the-spot solos and nuances if your thing, then go for it. I enjoy it on occasion too. But I can't do that for the rest of my life every. single. time. There are times that I sit down and write out specific passages in my head because they stand out and have an intrinsic value to me.

If certain members of "X" community of music want to make snarky comments about how that is "limiting" or not "free" then by all means let them do so. I'm not concerned with their thoughts. If I have a concerto or passage in mind, I'll notate it from beginning to end.

There's nothing to be frowned upon when a musician takes his music seriously, even if it's chance music.

I agree that jam sessions aren’t the be-all-and-end-all of any kind of music, but to say that they can’t be serious endeavours is limiting.
Quote by CarmenJuandeago
it seems the solos that are improvised to me are those boring ones that all over those blues-rock albums--- i hate them with passion because they seem to be a bunch of strings of licks played together

as opposed to say this solo here at
4:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60J6HlvfePM

or most queen solos

Okay well that's cool if that is the case then you are just not into that type of music, you are more into worked out stuff
i am the same way
a lot of good ideas can still come from jamming though
Quote by CarmenJuandeago
like i search beatles jam session

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BO65oIvn6o&feature=related

this is what comes out-- this to me sounds like a piece of crap

this is what my jam sessions with my friends sound like--- a whole bunch of nothing

as compared to what the beatles did when individual members brought in their own songs and told everyone how to play them

Don't forget that they were all on enough drugs to make the Yellow Submarine.

You just suck.
I love jamming.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Don't forget that they were all on enough drugs to make the Yellow Submarine.

You just suck.

This is the truth. I've jammed with people who don't understand the concept of "keys" and those jams sound like noise. That's why I don't play with incompetent musicians.
Page 1 of 2