I'd like to know what is your method of trying out pedals before buying. I like to plug em into lousy amps to see how much can they save the amp. Then I'll try them on better amps. What do you guys check? I check on tone, durability and price.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Ideally you would use an identical amp to the one you've got, and your main guitar.
I try and test pedals on the amp closest to my own. Granted, that becomes an exercise in futility, as most places don't carry the Randall amp I've got.

It's how I tried a dyna comp and loved it on a Mesa Stiletto, and hated it on my own amp. Returned it and got my 31-band eq for the same price (managed to luck out).

I check on tone and price. I'm not that concerned with durability as I don't get past my bedroom, really.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
^That. Pedals aren't meant to save a crappy amp.

I judge pedals based first and foremost on tone, then how it affects the tone when it's off and then I look at the price.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Tri it.
Laik it.
Bai it.

/thread

Quite simple really.

A pedal that sound great on a bad amp might or might not sound great on a good amp.

There's no way of telling how a pedal will sound like to you other than to try it with your own rig in a setting you're most familiar with.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by joe_k
/thread. seriously someone just end it.

Well, it's not a very wise idea to carry a 50 watt amp by public transport to the music shop, that's why I asked. And carrying tube amps around by public transport risks the tubes too anyway.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Co Founder of The Nasi Lemak Appreciation Club.

Didn't realise there were this many Malaysians on UG.

What pedals are you looking at?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I hate trying to try out a pedal and the store owners walk you over to the Line 6 area and you're thinking, "Dammit. At least put me in the Spider Valve." And then they plug you in the Spider III, and you're wondering, "Do they not want me to buy this pedal?"
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

^ he meant you try one like yours at the shop. and notice the ideally part. obviously not all stores will have your amp so you need to try it in one as close to yours as possible. i think it goes without saying everyone here is going to check tone when they try a pedal. this is a pretty useless thread.

EDIT: that was to the TS.
Last edited by joe_k at Dec 14, 2009,
i plug it in an amp similar to mine, or just any amp, plug in any guitar, and play with the pedal. if i like it, i like it, that's it, the tone may vary between amps, but a small clone stays a small clone

i tried my small clone through a spider III and i liked it, so i kept it
I do alot of trading Lots of times it's a crapshooot with certain pedals that No one in my area carries. Study lot's of clip's, read reviews and know what your looking for Exmaple "if you want a Mesa tone Don't buy a Crunchbox". Look for trusted brands, Ask some of UG members most of the time someone will be able to help.
i find an amp similar to mine (this is actually pretty hard)
i bring in my guitar and my cables, and i test it.

recently however, ive been ordering off proguitarshop, so ill just order one that looked really awesome in the demo, test it, and if i dont like it I'll send it back.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
recently however, ive been ordering off proguitarshop, so ill just order one that looked really awesome in the demo, test it, and if i dont like it I'll send it back.

Doesn't it cost you a lot to do the return?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Doesn't it cost you a lot to do the return?

no it's free. they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no it's free. they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy

But shipping?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by blue_strat

Refunds are made for product value only, excluding shipping and handling charges.

Which is what I meant... it ain't exactly cheap to ship from half way around the world for a pedal exchange.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
When i try a pedal, i start with all the knobs at 12:00. This, i believe is the truest tone and sound of the pedal, and if it doesnt sound good like that, its ussually not worth it for me to experiment more with it.
Quote by TheCalvinator
When i try a pedal, i start with all the knobs at 12:00. This, i believe is the truest tone and sound of the pedal, and if it doesnt sound good like that, its ussually not worth it for me to experiment more with it.

Try that with a Digiverb. See how well a 50% wet reverse reverb with 50% decay represents the sound of the pedal.
Quote by ragingkitty
Which is what I meant... it ain't exactly cheap to ship from half way around the world for a pedal exchange.

O you mean the shipping? shipping is like $5. I live in canada so shipping is basically an hour's drive for a fed ex truck. $5 doesn't really phase me when i can get pedals that only PGS carries like Jetter pedals and the like
I pry it open with my car keys, stomp the crap out of it, pour cheap beer on it, drag it through the parking lot and then sleep with it in the back seat of my car to simulate actual usage.
I usually order whatever I want online, try it out through my exact setup, and then decide to keep it, return it, or flip it (depending on how much I have returned recently and how much NWT resale values are).

I hate going to guitar stores.
Quote by toyboxmonster

Try that with a Digiverb. See how well a 50% wet reverse reverb with 50% decay represents the sound of the pedal.

In terms of subjectiveness, dont be a smartass.
Quote by Broken-pick
Well, it's not a very wise idea to carry a 50 watt amp by public transport to the music shop, that's why I asked. And carrying tube amps around by public transport risks the tubes too anyway.

Granted, I've never been to Malacca...

but all the music stores I've been to have amps there already. :

Quote by BobDetroit
I pry it open with my car keys, stomp the crap out of it, pour cheap beer on it, drag it through the parking lot and then sleep with it in the back seat of my car to simulate actual usage.

super win!

...I like to give mine an STD and wait for it to bitch about taking a personal day.
Last edited by GrisKy at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
Granted, I've never been to Malacca...

but all the music stores I've been to have amps there already. :

That's like 150km (92 miles) from where I live... and if my state is anything to go by... he's probably got 5 shops to choose from and only 2 of which have anything decent... of which the best is probably 2 or 3 Marshall JCMs,
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by TheCalvinator

Look at things like delay pedals though. It's obviously much better than just the knobs at 12:00.

Alas, I guess it is subjective
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by TheCalvinator

I have no idea what you meant by this. And I don't understand how demonstrating that your testing method does not work makes me a smartass.

Try to re-word.