I have a quick question, and if someone could answer it for me, I'd be much obliged.

I need to desolder the ground side of an audio jack terminal (the reverb on my amp is shot). The wires got ripped off, so there is just a glob of solder on the pole, and I need to thread the ground wire through the little hole, but that glob of solder is preventing that.

I have two, tiny audio terminals to desolder, but no desoldering wick/braid. Is there a way I could desolder this with just my soldering iron and some homemade remedy?

Thanks for any help you can give.
I don't suggest these options, but if you absolutely must..then here you go..

1. Kinda 'flick' the solder off of the tab. make sure your iron is nice and hot, then heat the joint, and 'flick' it off. Bad idea, imo, but hey, if you've got nothing else.. Just when you solder the wires back on, make sure to use fresh solder, and PROPERLY solder it into place, so that there is no resistance or cold joints.

2. See how well the solder is on there. If it was a bad joint to begin with, chances are it may be loose. Grab a pair of needlenose pliers and see if you can wiggle or pry it loose.

Again, this is desperate situation type of thing. Otherwise, just wait, and do it properly with some desoldering braid.

Edit for spelling.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
I don't suggest these options, but if you absolutely must..then here you go..

1. Kinda 'flick' the solder off of the tab. make sure your iron is nice and hot, then heat the joint, and 'flick' it off. Bad idea, imo, but hey, if you've got nothing else.. Just when you solder the wires back on, make sure to use fresh solder, and PROPERLY solder it into place, so that there is no resistance or cold joints.

2. See how well the solder is on there. If it was a bad joint to begin with, chances are it may be loose. Grab a pair of needlenose pliers and see if you can wiggle or pry it loose.

Again, this is desperate situation type of thing. Otherwise, just wait, and do it properly with some desoldering braid.

Edit for spelling.

Yeah, you're right. Always better to wait and do it with the right tools.

I've actually decided, since I already have a replacement jack, is to use the ground on that jack. The Crate audio jacks on the reverb unit have some unusual housing which incorporate the ground ring, so it will just be a matter of properly securing the replacement jack with a few washers.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.