I quit my job two weeks ago so I have a lot of spare time and I'd like to use it to practice more, but for some reason I can't do it for more than 1-2 hours per day.

Tonight is a perfect night to practice. My brother is not at home (so I can be as loud as I want), I'm out of weed (the eternal fountain of procrastination), I have absolutely nothing to do, and I finished writing an awesome song wich I want to be able to play properly.
But everytime I sit down with my guitar, I get distracted by something. I don't know if this makes sense, but I feel like 60% of myself is refusing to practice.
I really want to become a better guitar player, but I also feel that I'm wasting my time.

I love music and I'll never give up, but I'm really tired of forcing myself to practice.
Is it supposed to be so hard or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I can jam and play things I like for hours with no problem at all. This thread is about practicing and learning new stuff.
Last edited by siskoX at Dec 14, 2009,
i just enjoy guitar, it relaxes me, and i like a challenge
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by siskoX

But everytime I sit down with my guitar, I get distracted by something. I don't know if this makes sense, but I feel like 60% of myself is refusing to practice.
I really want to become a better guitar player, but I also feel that I'm wasting my time.

I love music and I'll never give up, but I'm really tired of forcing myself to practice.

Some days it just like that. Whenever I don't wanna practice, I either play some blues, mess with my effects, or go to some ridiculous drop tunning and play tah brootalz. It really helps

And my motivation. Steve Vai, Jimmy Page, all those guys. I want to be in their league someday
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by JimmyBanks6

This.

It's purely a hobby for me.

A very addicting hobby........
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

I enjoy playing, but practicing and learning new stuff is really boring to me
Quote by guitarlord28
Some days it just like that. Whenever I don't wanna practice, I either play some blues, mess with my effects, or go to some ridiculous drop tunning and play tah brootalz. It really helps

Lol, I do that too.
But I never want to practice, so I do that all the time and never learn new stuff.
I like playing, and I'm getting a new guitar soon, which will make me want to play more.
Basically I just play when I feel like playing, which could be anywhere from not at all to a few hours.
Some days I can and some I just cant..I try not to force myself when i dotn want to even though the entire time im thinking damn i have to have my regular practise...but when i go play I just cant. Dont try to force yourself but if you dont feel like it at least give it a try. What motivates me I really dotn know I just try to get better I have no goals with it yet still practice like an hr a day on my sweeps....feels so great playing them though
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
When I feel like that, I just go to my music library, find an easy/inter song that I already don't know, and learn it. I enjoy guitar a lot when I learn the music I like.
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Last edited by KrlzGmz at Dec 14, 2009,
Famous bassists/guitarists that are famous makes me wanna play constantly. Jelously is the key i guess. Thats what inspires me
Quote by siskoX
I quit my job two weeks ago so I have a lot of spare time and I'd like to use it to practice more, but for some reason I can't do it for more than 1-2 hours per day.

Tonight is a perfect night to practice. My brother is not at home (so I can be as loud as I want), I'm out of weed (the eternal fountain of procrastination), I have absolutely nothing to do, and I finished writing an awesome song wich I want to be able to play properly.

Here's your problem. Get more weed and jam it out
if you practice two hours a day you are going to get better.
if i can practice 30 minutes a night EVERY night, i get a lot better over a span of a few weeks. its all about persistence.
Well, right now I'm rocking to Marquee Moon, and Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd are totally making me wanna crank up my amp and just jam right now.
New gear. Buy some new gear and you'll be playing 24/7.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by skaterskagg1
Paul Gilbert.

i believe we have a winner
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I love playing along to my favorite bands and improvising.

Also trying to learn something new, practicing techniques e.g vibrato and bends.
Hearing songs out in my head and slowly becoming more and more adept at them.

Sometimes I improvise an entire song(usually just drums, guitar and vocals, but also other instruments) from front to back in my head, only to be forgotten moments later. The ability to literally sightread my mind onto audio or paper is what I'm striving to achieve in music.

Along with playing wicked shows and jamming with my friends and bandmates, of course.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger,
who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
- Albert Einstein
Then don't practice and learn new stuff, jam and write your own stuff. Granted, you have to practice that, but I figure it won't be as bad as learning someone elses stuff
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Ants of the Sky hoedown

makes me want to grab my acoustic and do a little bluegrass type jam.