Well I don't know whether to put this in the Electric Guitar or GGAA forum but Im putting it in hear since this mostly concerns gear. Well my parents have decided that throughout all of next year they're going to be giving me money so that by next year's end Ill have enough to buy myself a better guitar. So I'm planning to also pickup some jobs here and there because I need a new amp too. For guitars, I'm looking into A Fender Standard Telecaster,Epiphone Explorer and Epiphone Les Paul and I'm also open for an ESP guitar. For amps, I'm not entirely sure what to get but I do know I want a solid state combo amp. For effects I just want a good distortion pedal that can give me something along the lines of Zeppelin at its softest and something like Metallica at its highest. The thing I'm looking for here is versatility. Im in two bands. Once a metal band ( we sounds like Metallica/Megadeth) but we play alternative rock when we do play for the school(i.e Pearl Jam,Alice In Chains, STP,Ramones) and the other band is a rap-rock group similar to Street Sweeper Social Club. Right now,I just want to amek up my mind on all of these so I have an estimate on how much all this would cost. Any suggestions???
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Last edited by Victor Escobar at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Any reason you want solid state?
Also, budget?

I just prefer them over tubes.

I just want suggestions.Something affordable. Nothing too over the top. I'm also thinking about a 50w amp.
Quote by Victor Escobar
I just prefer them over tubes.

i think u are the only person in the world that prefers a solid state amp over tube

and if u do want that y not just save the money u would spend on a pedal and get like a vyper or something they have a lot of different sounds u could use and there not too expensive
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Last edited by selkies at Dec 15, 2009,
I hate to suggest any sort of head and cab combination over a combo, but check out the Marshall Valvestate 8100 head paired up with some cab (112, 212 or 412, depending on how much/little you like to carry around). I'm honestly not too sure which cab/speakers pair up best with the 8100 though.

Otherwise, check out Randall (G3+) and Ampeg (VH140C).

They're all very affordable.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by ChucklesMginty
The only 'proper' guitarist I can think of who preferred SS over Tube was Dimebag...
Really TS, I think ruling out tubes is a bad idea, you need your ears checked.

I was checking out some amps online and tubes did tend to be pricier so that partly contributes and I'm very accustomed to solid states. If I can find an affordable tube thats at least 50w Ill go for it but its mostly a money issue
Umm guys, theres a number of different reasons why one could want a tube>SS.
Solid states tend to be more studio friendly.
They come with a number of different FX usually.
Cheaper then tubes most of the time.

Tubes arent always better for every scenario.
But TS, tubes are great for pretty much anything you would want to do based on your wants.
Whats your budget?
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by Victor Escobar
I was checking out some amps online and tubes did tend to be pricier so that partly contributes and I'm very accustomed to solid states. If I can find an affordable tube thats at least 50w Ill go for it but its mostly a money issue

50w of tube amp will blow the doors down.
hell, 5w is gigable, 20w if you need some headroom.
go play some amps... you'll realize how little you actually need to get the job done (and consequently, how much you can save).
Why are tubes better for a recording scenario?

If you're recording, wouldn't you want the best tone you could get? SS amps sound terrible when mic'd. Makes more sense to put your head and cab in another room and turn it up. Sounds a lot better to my ears than a 15 watt tube combo.
Quote by Rockerdude22

no
Quote by ChucklesMginty
The only 'proper' guitarist I can think of who preferred SS over Tube was Dimebag...Really TS, I think ruling out tubes is a bad idea, you need your ears checked.

Are you serious?

There are a lot of guitarists that use/have used SS amps. 311 has a list on his blog...I'm sure you will find some 'proper' guitarists on that list.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
The only 'proper' guitarist I can think of who preferred SS over Tube was Dimebag...
Really TS, I think ruling out tubes is a bad idea, you need your ears checked.
Jazz guitarists use them all the time. Also, Johnny Greenwood used one for some stuff at one point.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Rockerdude22
Umm guys, theres a number of different reasons why one could want a tube>SS.
Cheaper then tubes most of the time.

Tubes arent always better for every scenario.
But TS, tubes are great for pretty much anything you would want to do based on your wants.
Whats your budget?

Like I said before, I just want something that's:
a. affordable
b.able to gig with

That's what Im trying to find out right now,how much money Im actually going to need.
We need to know the max you could possibly spend on a guitar and amp, otherwise we're just making blind guesses. At least give us a number.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
If you're looking for a great solid state, versatile amp, then look at the Line 6 Vetta II/Vetta. Great reviews and very versatile.

They are quite expensive though. I don't know what you're budget is.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Last edited by Darkpagey at Dec 15, 2009,
So, metal and hard rock.

Randall G3 seems like a solid choice. SS.

For metal though, it can be difficult to get a good giggable metal amp for low prices.

At the very least, give us your estimated budget.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
So, metal and hard rock.

Randall G3 seems like a solid choice. SS.

For metal though, it can be difficult to get a good giggable metal amp for low prices.

At the very least, give us your estimated budget.

Lets say somewhere between $1000-$1200. Also remember that I'm also looking into guitars and pedals.
Last edited by Victor Escobar at Dec 15, 2009,
ok, let's cut through some of the crap...

there are plenty of guitarists who atleast partially get their tone from solid state amps or even digital facimilies of amps through plugins and what not. so, why are tubes seen as preferable over ss by so many guitarists? in a word, tone, but to explain that a bit further you have to understand exactly what tubes do that is different, sound-wise, from ss.

for the sake of not making a wall of text, I'll just say they create even-order harmonics and inherrent dynamics, two things your run of the mill ss amp will not make. even order harmonics lend to a more musical tone, whereas ss harmonics tend to be harsh. when you compare the natural soft clipping of tube overdrive and the un-natural hard clipping of ss overdrive, that harshness is extrapolated.

micing techniques, in principle, are the same for both types of amps, but the end results vary because, guess what, they're different kinds of amps that produce different tones. one essential difference is that ss amps are inerrently comprssed. when that same harsh tone is captured by a mic, it's still the same harsh tone.

most modellers, however, attempt to re-create the recorded tones of various amps. that's exactly what you DON'T want to record with and it's a surefire way to kill a mix.

I'm drifting into wall-of-text territory, someone else can pick it up from here.
^i have played plenty of pedals which don't have harsh clipping and there are no tubes in them.

also some people, like me, like the spongyness of tube rectification. solid state is more efficient and so you get a quick attack in the sound coming from your amp but with a tube rectifier you get that spongy, almost delayed, attack. just another little fun fact.
Quote by joe_k
^i have played plenty of pedals which don't have harsh clipping and there are no tubes in them.

also some people, like me, like the spongyness of tube rectification. solid state is more efficient and so you get a quick attack in the sound coming from your amp but with a tube rectifier you get that spongy, almost delayed, attack. just another little fun fact.

crank it to saturation and you will. if you're just using it as a little front end push to drive a tube pre and you're not really putting any gain on the pedal, well, guess what, you're not hearing hard clipping because that would be soft clipping.

and that's not an across the board truth about ss being tighter... I've heard plenty of boomy ss amps, and to say a Soldano or Diezel is sluggish is... not smart.
There is so much crap in this thread, it isn't funny.

Also, the thread title is misleading. I was really hoping for a thread about Brand New/ Jesse Lacey and ended up with the typical GG&A babble about teh toobz and how ss amps will cause your eardrums to self-destruct because the tone is so horrible.

Carry on.
Last edited by colin617 at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
crank it to saturation and you will. if you're just using it as a little front end push to drive a tube pre and you're not really putting any gain on the pedal, well, guess what, you're not hearing hard clipping because that would be soft clipping.

and that's not an across the board truth about ss being tighter... I've heard plenty of boomy ss amps, and to say a Soldano or Diezel is sluggish is... not smart.

where did i say tube was sluggish. all i said was that there is a spongier attack. and where did i say anything about "boomy". i'm confused. i'll be off now.