Page 1 of 2
Hello guys!

I'm probably selling my POD x3 and I will therefore get some extra cash to invest into a new amp with.

Now, the question, as I really can't get through the amp-jungle without getting confused, what amp would you recommend (preferably not used)?

Budget: 400-600$
Type: Combo amp, not some 1000k watt one, I must be able to play it at home aswell.
Style of music: Pretty much ONLY technical death metal, sweeping etc. Examples of bands is: The Faceless, Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya. What I want is that really distorted but still so clean sound, (see the Faceless guitarist Michael Keene and you'll know).

Could anyone give me some tips for what to look at when going to my local music store?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Look into a used 2009 Bugera model? or by a stretch a Line 6 Flextone?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Check out the new Peavey 6505+ 112.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven

Quote by The^Unforgiven

aren't they back ordered to hell and back, though?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by signedinbloodnz
aren't they back ordered to hell and back, though?

If that is indeed the case, I'd suggest to wait for one. It's not worth buying an amp that's not as good as some other, if the reason is waiting a while. Then again, there's no guarantee that the 6505+ 112 will feel right, either... a tricky spot.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Tri b4 u bai.

Ain’t there a GC near you or something like that? Wait for your GC to stock one.

Alternatively… see that kid down the street? Yeah that one… the one carrying a 6505+ combo into his house.

Wait till its nightfall, break into his house, bind and gag up the parents and the kid.

Then try the amp.

If you like it… buy it from GC the next day.

Remember to leave a thank you note.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Tri b4 u bai.

Ain’t there a GC near you or something like that? Wait for your GC to stock one.

Alternatively… see that kid down the street? Yeah that one… the one carrying a 6505+ combo into his house.

Wait till its nightfall, break into his house, bind and gag up the parents and the kid.

Then try the amp.

Remember to blindfold them also or wear a disguise, and remember to write the thx message with letters cut out from a newspaper, so nothing will be traced back to you.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
Quote by ragingkitty
Tri b4 u bai.

Then try the amp.

kaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

EDIT: honestly though, peavey 6505 112 would be a nice fit. If you're short on cash maybe a Bugera 333XL.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by ragingkitty
Tri b4 u bai.

Then try the amp.

^lol, this!

but seriously, go to your GC, play the standard 6505+ through a set of 212 and think to yourself, the 112 combo wont be quite as punchy and defined in the bass. thats really the only difference i hear between a 212 and a 112, and even then, the difference is minimal cause it's a closed back anyway isn't it?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Aight thanks for the tips guys. The 6505 112 combo looks nice, though it's at the very stretch of my budget.

I've heard that the Flextone can't do the extreme metal tones very well, is that true?

Also, the problem with buying used stuff in Sweden is that there are almost no market for that. However, I found "" Line 6 Flextone 60 watt Mono 1x 12"" for about 200$, used. The question still remains, can it take extreme metal?
Quote by Panikak
Aight thanks for the tips guys. The 6505 112 combo looks nice, though it's at the very stretch of my budget.

I've heard that the Flextone can't do the extreme metal tones very well, is that true?

Also, the problem with buying used stuff in Sweden is that there are almost no market for that. However, I found "" Line 6 Flextone 60 watt Mono 1x 12"" for about 200$, used. The question still remains, can it take extreme metal?

Yeah it sure can, but I don't think it sounds all that great. I was going to buy it for christmas but I picked up a Laney TT50 instead. The Flextone still has that harshness that all solid state distortion channels seem to have. Of course, for some styles of music this might not be a bad thing. I advise you go try it out.

Try before you buy . (and ragingkitty you stole my line! )
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Bugera 6262 is WAY cheaper.

I know, but, it's not the same amp, even though they claim that the 6262 is supposed to be a clone. I've played both amps, and in my opinion, the 6262 is more for very dirty rock tones, but it's got quite a mid bite in my opinion, and just isn't the amp for death metal if you ask me. Great amp, still.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
I'm leaning a bit more to the 6505+ 112 though. How well can it play on bedroom volume level?

Going to school now, definitly going to a music store today or tomorrow to check it out!
Quote by Panikak
I'm leaning a bit more to the 6505+ 112 though. How well can it play on bedroom volume level?

Going to school now, definitly going to a music store today or tomorrow to check it out!

Well, it's 60-watt tube amp, so it's pretty loud, but in my opinion it doesn't sound bad even at low volume.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
Oops, I don't have any lessons til 13

Anyway, are there any other things I should check out? So far, it's the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and Line6 Flextone III yeah?

However, I'm not sure whether these amps will be able to create the really edge of technical death metal, like

Veil of Maya (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekphMSqWkfg) and

The Faceless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Z-bGcIRTQ&feature=related)

guitar tones? You could check those two links out if you'd like and see what you think! But still, if my Line6 Spider III 30 can do some of it (even though it's not a great tone, you can definitly play it) they should, right?
Quote by ragingkitty
Tri b4 u bai.

Then try the amp.

This, before you go there disguise yourself as a cat. Then when the cops are looking for the suspect, they'll suspect the cat and he'll take the heat. IT'S INGENIOUS!!!

TS, have you considered a B-52 AT-112? It's cheaper than the 6505 so you could spend your savings on some good pedals like a boost and a EQ. With a good amp, those pedals are awesome for tone tweaking. I have pulled some great tones out of my rig with only those 2 things. I recommend the MXR 10 band for an EQ and either a Bad Monkey or a TS9 as a boost. Buy your pedals used as well, much more value.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
This, before you go there disguise yourself as a cat. Then when the cops are looking for the suspect, they'll suspect the cat and he'll take the heat. IT'S INGENIOUS!!!

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
CAT GOT BUSTED! It WOULD have been a good idea, though, if the boy next door didn't have a dog

On topic, the only thing I'm afraid of when it comes to getting a lot of eq pedals etc is: what to buy? You named two, but if my store doesn't have those, I have no idea what else to get. Also, I'm not sure if I'm professional enough to use pedals, eq or whatever else it's called, as i've never used it before

Actually, the price for a Peavey 6505 112 is 575 Euro INCLUDING shipping from a danish online store, really good price. Not completely out of my budget, actually.

EDIT: Checked the B-52 AT-112 out, is it even available in europe? Can't find it in any swedish/danish/norweigan cyberstore
Last edited by Panikak at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Panikak
CAT GOT BUSTED! It WOULD have been a good idea, though, if the boy next door didn't have a dog

On topic, the only thing I'm afraid of when it comes to getting a lot of eq pedals etc is: what to buy? You named two, but if my store doesn't have those, I have no idea what else to get. Also, I'm not sure if I'm professional enough to use pedals, eq or whatever else it's called, as i've never used it before

You buy whatever pedals you need.

Don't buy pedals for the sake of buying pedals.

If you need an OD to tighten the low end (which is unlikely) get an OD.

Need tone shaping? Get an EQ?

Want to add lushness to your cleans? Get a chorus.

Get the amp first, play it, then only decide how you want to adjust your sound.

Don't get pedals for the sake of getting pedals.

Also, apologies for ruining your thread
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
My vote would go to a Peavey Triple XXX 212 combo, I just got rid of mine but that thing could play the BROOTZ very well and it is right in your price range.
Hey, the 6505 112 sounds ALOT different than the 212. Peavey has the 112's manufactured in China. They really aren't HORRIBLE, but they don't sound nearly as good as you want them too. Def. try befor you buy. DON'T order one unless you can return it.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Quote by chaos2767
My vote would go to a Peavey Triple XXX 212 combo, I just got rid of mine but that thing could play the BROOTZ very well and it is right in your price range.

+1
Never tried the 212, but the head sounds awesome.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
Quote by chaos2767

Looks fine, but not in my price range :/ The only used I could find was at about 1000$ (translated from swedish currency).

About the 6505, of course I'll try it before, but is it really that bad? Compared to a 50% more expensive amp, as the 212, it's understandable that it sounds worse, but how much worse?

Also, my current amp is a Spider III 30, so I guess that I don't need the best to get satisfied, lol!
Another thing, the store I'm looking at is selling the Flextone III XL and the 6505+ 112 for about the same price, differs like 90$ only. I just don't know how well the flex can take the heaviest of the heaviest metal tones
I have a 6505+ 112. Its friggin awesome but I run it through a V30, the Sheffield sounds thin especially new. Most shops have them in stock now I think, at least in Toronto they did.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Panikak
Another thing, the store I'm looking at is selling the Flextone III XL and the 6505+ 112 for about the same price, differs like 90$ only. I just don't know how well the flex can take the heaviest of the heaviest metal tones

Any other inputs?
I would also look for a used 6505 2x12 combo.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I would also look for a used 6505 2x12 combo.

There are none in sweden
Quote by Panikak
There are none in sweden
Yeah, that can tough then. Since you're in Europe, have you looked into high gain combos made by companies like, ENGL, Laney, or H&K ??
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Yeah, that can tough then. Since you're in Europe, have you looked into high gain combos made by companies like, ENGL, Laney, or H&K ??

I know about them, but aren't they out of my budget?:O
Quote by Panikak
I know about them, but aren't they out of my budget?:O
I'm not sure what the pricing is like for you there, but if your budget is $600 max, then yes probably.
Laney's are priced decently, and you can always look for used combo's in the more expensive brands
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I'm not sure what the pricing is like for you there, but if your budget is $600 max, then yes probably.
Laney's are priced decently, and you can always look for used combo's in the more expensive brands

Aight, will have a look then Any opinions regarding the Flextone/6505+?
How about a peavey Valveking, throw a pedal in front of it and call it good!!!! Or a Carvin MTS 3200 combo!!
The only affordable metal amp is the 6505 really. Which is a shame because now it's going to get even more saturated as an amp.
Keene uses Randall for the rhythm.

And The Faceless and Veil of Maya's albums are ridiculously compressed, so it won't be easy to get their exact sound straight from an amp.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I have the 6505 112 as well, and agree that the stock speaker sounds thin but you can still make it sound great, however not at low volumes IMO. I plug mine into an Avatar 2x12 with a V30 and G12T75 and it sounds amazing, much thicker and pretty much just like a 6505 head. The amps distortion is just awesome.
Quote by GuitarDTO
I have the 6505 112 as well, and agree that the stock speaker sounds thin but you can still make it sound great, however not at low volumes IMO. I plug mine into an Avatar 2x12 with a V30 and G12T75 and it sounds amazing, much thicker and pretty much just like a 6505 head. The amps distortion is just awesome.

This worries me, I need to be able to achieve good sound at low volume aswell :/ Therefore, Im starting to think that the flex, or some other modeler in the same price range would be the way to go, don't you think? Can any owner of a flex comment on it's possibilityfor metal usage? :-)
Page 1 of 2