I'm going to be in Melbourne from this thursday to sunday. My aunt will probably have good touristy stuff for me to look at while I am there, but I wanted to check out the music scene more (I hear it is the best in Australia). I am a metalhead, but I wouldn't mind seeing more out there type of music as well.

What are some good gigs/bars to check out on thursday, friday or saturday night? Also, good music shops (everything from records to merch to guitar stuff) suggestions would be useful.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.

Melbournville
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Go watch some GAYFL
Originally Posted by neopowell
I'm perfectly capable of rating my own poo, I don't need a website to help me. I've devised strict criteria based on texture, smell, ease of passing and numerous other factors. It's even colour-coded.

ಠ_ಠ
for your info GAYFL finished a few months ago. and come visit me kidding...
you could go to the city maybe (waterfront, flinders st, etc) some pretty good music shops, band shops, etc there.
Hah! GAYFL! Funny because it is SOOOOO TRUE!!!!

And you're right, we have an awesome music scene. My theory is because we're influenced by stuff from everywhere else, and we can just bring it all together.

AUSTRALIA FTW!

But seriously, we're gonna have to rename Sydney to "New Asia" soon. I mean, ****. They've got their own ****ing country.
Melbourne right? what about drugs and other cool stuff you can do in lygon street?

Also stay away from the geelong area. Its full of cats
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Last edited by deathdrummer at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Hah! GAYFL! Funny because it is SOOOOO TRUE!!!!

And you're right, we have an awesome music scene. My theory is because we're influenced by stuff from everywhere else, and we can just bring it all together.

AUSTRALIA FTW!

But seriously, we're gonna have to rename Sydney to "New Asia" soon. I mean, ****. They've got their own ****ing country.

I suspect you are a bogan.

I've not a clue about Melbourne because I'm from Sydney.
Deny the Holocaust.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
For Everyones information I am a bogan, I'm from Gossie (Gosford) some of the Sydney blokes will know what it is.
Originally Posted by neopowell
I'm perfectly capable of rating my own poo, I don't need a website to help me. I've devised strict criteria based on texture, smell, ease of passing and numerous other factors. It's even colour-coded.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by metalmouth22
For Everyones information I am a bogan, I'm from Gossie (Gosford) some of the Sydney blokes will know what it is.

If you look really close (and i mean really close) at his username you can actually see he is a bogan.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Um, you can go to the city and visit allans music which has a good range of guitars, drums and basses, then bass center/acoustic center on perth street which is ****ing awesome.
As for the music scene you could go to some bars in richmond / CBD. I know there is a bar where led zeppelin (or AC/DC i forgot) kicked off their tour in footscray, near a train station.
'Bang' is a good nightclub to checkout if you're a Metalhead. They play great metal music there.

Edit: and as aussie said, Next is also something you should go to. Bang and Next are pretty much the same thing though. Just different nights.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Dec 15, 2009,
If you are into metal/weaponry/drug paraphernalia check out a small shop called Smoke Dreams near ummm Flinders Street Station, got a buttload of posters and shirts and shit along with the aforementioned weaponry and bongs and such :P

ohhh and go to a place called Mrs Parmas (I think) as it has the greatest chicken parma in the world and is a pretty sick place in generally.

Have fun in Melbourne; The City of Retarded Weather.
Quote by destroy_techno
this girl like said it was all screemz so I like punched her in teh face, serves her right stupid bish, don't fukk with Pantera
Thread is now about bogans.

Fackin' oath cunt, how sick is goon aye?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by metalmouth22

Like the Sunbury of NSW.

As for stuff in Melbourne, if you're over 18, clubs like Bang and Next give you a good idea of the music scene, have punk and metal unfluences there. Pretty ashamed that I don't know much of the music scene actually. I should explore more.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
Awesome suggestions so far (towards the bottom of the thread). I already planed to stay away from stuff related to GAYFL.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
if you were here from wednesday to like monday you could go to nighthawk blues in mentone on wednesday night, (i will not be there damn brothers graduation)(its a jam)
and on sunday go to newport for another jam... (sunday jam goes from 4pm to like 8 or somthing.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
G'day
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
u have to goto Chapel street, Lygon street, Flinders street. Mayb come visit me lol nuh, The mountain ranges are really nice and have great views.
the City (flinders street and obviously others) is a great place to shop and just chill the Ef out.
Port Melbourne is a very nice place, as is all the beaches down the coast. but yeah, if it was AFL season (GAYFL i find offensive because i love the sport) was on, you would have to goto the MCG and watch a game.
MCG was voted one of the best sporting stadiums in the world actually
but yeah. not too much to do round here.. :/
Quote by donkey the wise
biggest pwnage in this thread yet. congrats good sir!

Quote by potcorn56
ooooo your so kinky!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out all the koalas.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Music shopping in australia is pretty crap where i live (Perth). Enjoy all us Aussies ;D Enjoy going through customs too since it takes ages
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Go to the ESPY

Which is a bar/venue thing on the esplanade in St Kilda.....

Its an AWESOME place to go see bands...

Actually go down to St kilda on a Friday or Saturday night....the nightlife is amazing.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Rave lololol

oonts oonts oonts oonts
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by geetar_man0
Go to the ESPY

Which is a bar/venue thing on the esplanade in St Kilda.....

Its an AWESOME place to go see bands...

Actually go down to St kilda on a Friday or Saturday night....the nightlife is amazing.

this.

go to the ESPY, great place from what I have heard.. if a band called VIXIA is playing there, go check them out. (mates of mine play there often)
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
For music I recommend this little place called Open Studio at 204 High St in Northcote. It's a little out of the way but they have great bands (mostly jazz) playing there on the days you mentioned. If you like it a bit more rowdy, check out the espy in St Kilda as someone said. And you can't go wrong with Brunswick St, as someone also said.
Figured i'd revive this thread as i plan on taking a trip to your lovely continent in the next year. I've been told Melbourne is nice. Any Aussies interested in hosted a Canuck for like 2 weeks? maybe September/October?
Quote by JohnnyV
Figured i'd revive this thread as i plan on taking a trip to your lovely continent in the next year. I've been told Melbourne is nice. Any Aussies interested in hosted a Canuck for like 2 weeks? maybe September/October?

If I had my own place I would do it in a second....

Don't come in winter...Even though every place is crappy in winter, we have alot of beaches and you will miss out on all of that.

And yeah Melbourne is the place to be..

EDIT: And yeah September/October would be a great time to come over...

Try and get a ticket to a finals game of afl at the MCG.
Last edited by geetar_man0 at Dec 17, 2009,
Ride a kangaroo.
Eat a Vegemite sandwich.
Drink Fosters.
Tell everybody "That's not a knife. This is a knife".
Catch a giant spider.
Laugh at the Kiwis.

I'm rapidly running out of stereotypes. Feel free to flame me.

Oh look up Manda. She's a security guard somewhere down under. Australia can't be that big.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.