I've been noticing quite alot now that people are hitting this note, it has sort of a vocal property.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQft8wkP18

Solo around 2:56, it's the 5TH note into the solo.

I've asked around, people have no idea what I'm talking about, sorry if this is a noob question.
the bend with a slight bit o' vibrato?

well i think thats what your on about
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 15, 2009,
sounds like its just a pinched harmonic with vibrato
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
i think it's a bent note and the way to get that kind of note is to have good vibrato
What I'm getting at is that it sort of sounds like a slight artificial harmonic.
sounded to me like an ordinary bend and vibrato with a very slight artificial harmonic
Ibanez RG1570 - mirage red
Ibanez RG7321
Dean '79 MLF
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez RX20- first guitar!!
Fender 12 str acoustic
Rickenbacker 620/12
Pod X3 Live
Marshall Valvestate VS-265
+ a bunch more stuff
It sounded like the roar of Jesus, and a gang of lions behind him ready to continue pushing the indians to the west coast.
Quote by brixst0r
It sounded like the roar of Jesus, and a gang of lions behind him ready to continue pushing the indians to the west coast.

...Pardon?....
Quote by crohno
it's also about the fx's

Unless you count gain I don't think there are any effects on that particular section of the song...

TS: You have to experiment with your guitar and find a way of striking some notes so that they sound different to what came before it so you can emphasize what you want. In my case I just hit the damn thing harder
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
sounds like he may have a bit of a wah pedal going on there. some people use it to get a vocal sound but they dont just go "wah wah wah" all the time. kinda keep it so that the tone is pretty clear and do small movements and you can get the sound to have very subtle but useful changes in sound.

also, switching pickups and how you play can do this as well.
Quote by crohno
it's also about the fx's

Yes, the technique is a bend with a bit of vibrato, but I think the reason it sounds especially "vocal" here is due to the effects.

I can definitely hear Wah and reverb. Wah is supposed to make a guitar sound like it's saying "wah", and reverb is always put on a singers voice to compensate for the loss of natural reverb in a room.

You see, when a singer sings, half of what you hear (at least!) is just reverb from the room/the singer himself/etc, and the effect is lost when you record with a mic. So what happens is, they add reverb and delay to vocal tracks and that's what you're hearing added to the guitar solo.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Yes, the technique is a bend with a bit of vibrato, but I think the reason it sounds especially "vocal" here is due to the effects.

I can definitely hear Wah and reverb. Wah is supposed to make a guitar sound like it's saying "wah", and reverb is always put on a singers voice to compensate for the loss of natural reverb in a room.

You see, when a singer sings, half of what you hear (at least!) is just reverb from the room/the singer himself/etc, and the effect is lost when you record with a mic. So what happens is, they add reverb and delay to vocal tracks and that's what you're hearing added to the guitar solo.

Thanks for the great explanation.
I don't hear wah necessarily, sounds more like he's hit a partial harmonic to me - there's definitely a "notched" middly quality to the tone though so could be a half-cocked wah pedal.

However, the key component to the vocal quality is the wide, slow vibrato. That subtle variation in pitch mimics certain qualities you'll hear in speech.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com