Prepare the flame shield!
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I wouldn't reccomend paying £500 for it at all. If you want to spend that kind of money , look else where, maybe a second hand marshall? Do you want valve or solid state?
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Are you looking at the dfx model or the hdfx model? The dfx is a waste of money, it's the same thing as a cheap marshall mg practice amp only with a lot more power. The hdfx is a bit better, but there are better amps for your money. Any particular sound you are after? Or do you just want volume?
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Dude, avoid this amp like the black plague. Trust me, I tried it at Best Buy and was thoroughly unimpressed with the sound. Hell, it even made my dad's 15W MG sound good...

If you're looking for a Marshall, you're looking at the wrong amp...

As the above posters said, there are far better amps for that money. What are you looking to play and do you want tube or solid state?
Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Dec 15, 2009,
Sorry mate. It's total shat. May sound tolerable at low volumes, then turn it up and prepare for a sound similar to mashing potato.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Well, the MGs are okay beginners' amps, but don't buy them if youre more experienced. For 500 pounds, you can probably get some all tube head with a Harley Benton cab from Thomann. You'd be much better off with those.
i will be playing death metal mostly, but i want it to be able to handle everything
The MG series is a complete joke, I wouldn't recommend buying that at all. Look into the Line 6 HD100.

It's a decent price, and it's an all-tube head, 4 programmable channels, built-in effects. It's about 800 dollars US, so that should be within your 500 pound price range.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by mr faceless
i will be playing death metal mostly, but i want it to be able to handle everything

look elsewhere then...the OD channels are the worst part of the MG. put 'marshall mg' in the searchbar and read the other threads about this amp.
do NOT buy that amp for death metal, or anything requiring significant amounts of gain/dist

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
It's not a very good amp. But, it is not, as one might judge by the general opinion, absolute shit. It's got a pretty good clean channel for running distortion pedals through it, and the OD channels are pretty good if you don't want to play Nile or Cannibal Corpse etc... however, it's extremely noisy at higher volumes and gives absolutely horrible feedback, my brother's had a MG100hdfx half stack for years, and it does it with every guitar we've plugged into it during that time.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
It's not a very good amp. But, it is not, as one might judge by the general opinion, absolute shit. It's got a pretty good clean channel for running distortion pedals through it, and the OD channels are pretty good if you don't want to play Nile or Cannibal Corpse etc... however, it's extremely noisy at higher volumes and gives absolutely horrible feedback, my brother's had a MG100hdfx half stack for years, and it does it with every guitar we've plugged into it during that time.

This.

I actually did like the MG's cleans myself (both on my dad's 15-watter and the 100W stack at Best Buy), the OD, though, not so much. My dad's 15W MG did hold me over fairly well until he gave me a 15W Peavey Vypyr for my birthday last year, which blew his MG out of the water (hell, he even admitted it himself).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Dec 15, 2009,
Oh come on guys, you can flame MG's better than that. You're slipping.

My advice, leave the MG where it is and buy a real Marshall. Even if it's old and crusty looking and in need of a total retubing it would be a better than buying an MG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tyler Durden
do NOT buy that amp for death metal, or anything requiring significant amounts of gain/dist
If it's a 100 watt half stack MG, I'd just go ahead and say don't buy it for anything. Period.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by BobDetroit
No brainer dude.. I say go it. Heck get the full stack.

You cruel man

For £500 you can get something pretty nice really.
I assume if you're looking at a halfstack then you'll be gigging right?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey