It seems like every guitar I've ever had has an ineffective volume knob. I mean, they don't do much of anything until they're almost all the way in "off" position. Do you guys know how I can fix that or if there is anything I can do about it?

I'm not sure if I explained that well...
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Are you playing all these different guitars through the same amp?
Maybe it's the amp that's not responsive.
I've played them on my friend's amp and they do the same thing, but his guitar's volume knob works fine.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
do you play with distortion, or clean? because if you are playing distorted (amp or pedal), the volume knob only adjusts the input level into the distortion, but the output will be the same. on a clean amp (without a distortion pedal), the volume knob should have an effect though.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Dec 15, 2009,
Yeah, the distortion is definitely causing it to seem like it's not working right. On the clean channel, it is a much more gradual decrease, but it still seems like the last 1/4 turn results in the most volume difference.

I know some people use the volume knob to move from OD/Distortion to Clean (or close to clean.) Do they just have a more responsive amp?
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
I know some people use the volume knob to move from OD/Distortion to Clean (or close to clean.) Do they just have a more responsive amp?

this works when you have a lower amount of distortion, particularly with overdrive or fuzz. metal distortion isn't sensitive to dynamics because of the hard clipping of the input signal, as even with the decreased input level, the signal is still heavily clipped.
Ah alright I get it now. Thanks a lot guys.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
it has to do with the taper of the volume pot. most pots are going to be like yours, or the opposite (by the time you turn it down to 7, it's nearly off). There are some high quality volume pots for guitars by RS guitarworks called superpots. They're expensive.... but they're the best you can buy and they have a custom taper that will give you a much smoother and gradual volume decrease.