Page 1 of 2
i was looking at the marshall mg100hfx half stack. I mainly play at home and the odd house gig now and then would this be fine for that purpose.

Im currently playing an epi lp black beauty into a boss gt8 through a 80watt peavey bandit 112 transtube.
My budget is around 1000 pounds i mainly play metal bls ozzy metallica disturbed blah blah blah im from manchester uk
What are they doing over there at Marshall that they have people with 1000 pounds to spend looking at MG's? Must be some kind of mind control.
I take it mgs are not that popular lol ok then peeps i aint gonna get one. Any suggestions?
Don't get the MG. For god sake.

You need toobz.

Um...Peavey 6505?

Edit: Sorry, I don't know any UK sites...so here is the American link.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=582106
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
This would be a good alternative. Then all you'd need is a nice cabinet. Certainly streets ahead of an MG.

jcm900 on ebay uk
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey 6505+, Bugera 6262/333xl, Egnater Renegade/Tourmaster, Bogner Alchemist
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
1000 pounds converts to about $1600...but I don't know the price difference here.

Also, for playing at home, and the odd house gig...a 20 watt or so tube head will do you just fine.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
To be honest, you could get a used JCM and a nice cab for that price. Alternatively if you really hunt around you might be able to get hold of a second hand Mesa Express.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
much better to be had for the money...how many MG threads does this make for today alone???
Quote by stekwondo
i was looking at the marshall mg100hfx half stack. I mainly play at home and the odd house gig now and then would this be fine for that purpose.

Im currently playing an epi lp black beauty into a boss gt8 through a 80watt peavey bandit 112 transtube.

Get it! They have crushing overdrive!
Quote by dudey5691
^The price-to-tone ratio is completely unorthodox for many, although some people genuinely like them.

If you like it, get it... although I HIGHLY suggest against it.

1000 pounds is... I don't know.
I'm guessing you could get a used JCM or something? that'd fit the tone-part of things.

Never say "if you like it.. get it" to someone considering an MG stack. Of course they will like it, if they are considering it it means they havent tried anything else, and so have nothing to compare it to, so dont say that.
You're in England, so Marshall equipment is cheaper... Hell, I give up. I can't figure out how you could manage to SPEND a thousand pounds on an MG. They'd be too cheap over there! Get a JCM of some kind, since they're made there. Much higher quality, and (evidently) the same price.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by stekwondo
Please all forgive me for my mg ignorance i have now seen the light!

Same here bro, I used to be just like you with MG's but one of the guitarists I'm subscribed to on Youtube enlightened me in that department.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Dec 27, 2009,
Yall still think its a waste of money even thought it only 670 for the head and two 4 x 12 cabs?
Quote by stekwondo
Yall still think its a waste of money even thought it only 670 for the head and two 4 x 12 cabs?

I would play one first if I were you. The OD channels are useless for most applications...the clean channel is decent at best. I used a stompbox for my distortion when I had my MG. The cabs aren't great. I thought I got a good deal on my MG because I bought it super cheap used...but then once I played around on a few other amps, I realized the error of my ways and how much of an amp that money could have bought me to begin with.
Quote by stekwondo

yes
your bandit is far betetr than the mg
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
I ordered an MG last year just because I wanted to see if it was really as bad as people here said. I'm not kidding when I say it was on eBay THE NEXT DAY being sold to some poor bastard. The worst distortion I've ever heard.
I don't think you're going down a smart road here. The benefit of a stack comes from two things:

1) the high power tube heads that generally sit on top of them
2) a stiff, slightly resonant, closed-back cab loaded with good speakers

Lots of amp manufacturers try to make a budget half (or full) stack but in the process lose everything that makes a stack worth having. The heads are SS and typically lack the impact of a tube head. The cabs use mystery meat speakers - whatever they can get dirt cheap. The cabs themselves are made of particle board or something that doesn't resonate right, and often have hardware that falls apart to boot.

The end result is that you get the style of a stack without the substance. You'll have to decide if that's worth it for you, but personally I think it's kind of silly.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
i would say get a dsl100 and a boost, a jcm800 2205 and boost, 2203kk, 2203 and boost, 2210 and boost.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by peterocker
your bandit is far betetr than the mg

I love my bandit, they are great amps. Maybe spend that money on a boutique dist. box and a 2x12 extension cabinet. The tones shall flourish! Also, I havent done it to my Bandit yet, but those Sheffield speakers kinda suck, think of a replacement for it.

Seriously, the MG is quite limited, all it really has going for it is a sub-par clean channel, semi-responsive eq, and maybe some shitty reverb. Doesn't respond well to your volume/tone know changes on the guitar, et cetera.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Even Bigger D
I don't think you're going down a smart road here. The benefit of a stack comes from two things:

Lots of amp manufacturers try to make a budget half (or full) stack but in the process lose everything that makes a stack worth having. The heads are SS and typically lack the impact of a tube head. The cabs use mystery meat speakers - whatever they can get dirt cheap. The cabs themselves are made of particle board or something that doesn't resonate right, and often have hardware that falls apart to boot.

The end result is that you get the style of a stack without the substance. You'll have to decide if that's worth it for you, but personally I think it's kind of silly.

+1

I admit half-stacks are cool. Overkill for home use but cool nonetheless. Listen to this guy, if you are going to do it, do it right. A used Marshall tube stack (i.e. JCM series) is a great way for you to go. They have an affordability advantage in the UK and are relatively common. A 50 or 60 watt version will be plenty for home use. The 100 watters would be overkill but if the price is right...

If you are not prepared to buck up that much then you are really better of getting a lower wattage tube combo amp. In the long run the novelty of a cheap half stack will wear off and you will be stuck with a crappy sounding amp.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Classic, Gibson Faded V, Tacoma DR14C, Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 + 1960B.
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback im defo gonna be looking for a good second hand jcm800. My mates just bought a engl powerball half stack i turned so green i shouted hulk smash!
Check out the jcms I listed.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Dude check out jet city amps they have a 20 watt head and 2x12 cabinet for like $600 but its made by soldano and f-ing rocks
Quote by subzero364
Never say "if you like it.. get it" to someone considering an MG stack. Of course they will like it, if they are considering it it means they havent tried anything else, and so have nothing to compare it to, so dont say that.

So, we're the ones to say whether TS likes it or not? We choose what tone TS wants as his or her own?

There have been cases where people have chose MG's over better amps, even tube. Your argument is not valid.

I'm not a fan of MG's. They are horrible amps cost-wise and tone-wise.
But, my bias against the amp doesn't allow me to force my ideals upon TS.

At least I contributed something to the thread.
+1 on the half stack nonsense. I wouldn't personally get one unless I was playing live consistently, but regardless of the bandwagons, they have their uses.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Even Bigger D

exactly.

Quote by Fizzyx
+1
I admit half-stacks are cool. Overkill for home use but cool nonetheless. Listen to this guy, if you are going to do it, do it right.

precisely.

in the uk with £1000 you should be able to get a jcm halfstack new for around £1000. there are also other options from the likes of laney (gh, vh, tt series).

Quote by stekwondo
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback im defo gonna be looking for a good second hand jcm800. My mates just bought a engl powerball half stack i turned so green i shouted hulk smash!

yeah, if you're trying to compete with a powerball you're going to need something better than an MG, and you're definitely able to get something which'll compete with a powerball with a grand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It gets on my nerves when people talk shit about the new MGs...They aren't tube amps..noone is claiming they, so why are people ragging that they sound like shit compared to tube?

First of all...they really, truly do not sound like shit, by any means. I got an MG100hfx halfstack for 500$...how is that expensive?

Why would I bullshit and say the tone sound really really good it to me if it didn't? If it didn't, I'd return it without a doubt...

Tube snobs are annoying
Quote by Daviec
Yep, how about this:

http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/76/51148576.html

Reasonably local to you.

This will do everything you want.
You'll want an overdrive to boost it into modern metal territory though.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by burritosaregood
It gets on my nerves when people talk shit about the new MGs...They aren't tube amps..noone is claiming they, so why are people ragging that they sound like shit compared to tube?

First of all...they really, truly do not sound like shit, by any means. I got an MG100hfx halfstack for 500$...how is that expensive?

Why would I bullshit and say the tone sound really really good it to me if it didn't? If it didn't, I'd return it without a doubt...

Tube snobs are annoying

The new MG's are worse than the older ones, in my experience.

Their tone is sub-par at best. For $500USD, you can get much better, even in solid-state and modeling amps.
But, you know, if you like it, go ahead and get it.

Tube snobs are annoying?
People who complain and argue in nonsensical terms are annoying.
Page 1 of 2