Hey all, i been messing with recording for about a year now but never really sat down for long enough to actually get good at it haha. I was just using a little toneport GX into sony acid and just messing around.

Now i want to get serious and get better. I want to record my amp into a different sofware. (Im thinking Cubase, Calkwalk or maybe protools, but i might not need that yet). The key thing is i want to record my amp and get away from the line 6 stuff. I use a Traynor YCS50 1 12" combo amp. It's all tube and i love the tone i get out of it. I have the mics (SM57 and 58) but my question is what do i plug the mics into? I have the mic, then i need it to go into SOMETHING, then into my computer. What is that somthing i need and what is the best one i can get? Or at least a few different options for me. I'm not even sure if they are called recording interfaces, i assume that's the name of them but correct me if i'm wrong. Still learning all this recording stuff.

Thanks
An audio interface is what you're looking for. Just like your GX they will connect via usb (unless you buy one that uses firewire, then your pc must have a firewire port). Most AI's will come with some type of recording software. It's usually the bare bones software, but it will do the job.

I'm sure everyone has their own preference but I use a Lexicon Omega which came with Cubase LE. I got it dirt cheap for $120 US. I can hook up a couple of mics along with a my guitar and record away. If you're trying to stay on a low budget M-Audio makes some under $200 US also. If you have tons of money to spend you cans spend thousands on recording equipment and software.

Cheers
If you really want to get serious start doing some research on as much as possible. For serious recording you may end up having to spend some serious cash. But if you're only going to be micing your amp you shouldn't have to break the bank.

Also, start learning about the actual "recording" end of things as in how to make what you've recorded, or will record sound it's best.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm sure others will give you some excellent info.
Thanks for the info man. Recording is definatley something i want to get serious about. Right now i just want to get better gear then i currently have and step it up a bit. I understand it's not going to get me studio sounding recordings, but i'm not looking for that anyway. My band records demos if needed throuh a guy and they come out great, but this stuff is just for me. Personal recordings. I write a lot of songs (half of them i forget!) and i want to be able to play something and say "Thats cool let me go downstairs and record this!". You know?

With these interfaces can i record guitar, bass and vocals? Could i record drums with them? Drums i'm not too worried about because i can just make basic drum loops in the meantime, i'm mainly interested in getting down guitars and vocals.
What about the M Audio fast track interfaces? Anybody have any experience with them?
Quote by RunOut1724
Thanks for the info man. Recording is definatley something i want to get serious about. Right now i just want to get better gear then i currently have and step it up a bit. I understand it's not going to get me studio sounding recordings, but i'm not looking for that anyway. My band records demos if needed throuh a guy and they come out great, but this stuff is just for me. Personal recordings. I write a lot of songs (half of them i forget!) and i want to be able to play something and say "Thats cool let me go downstairs and record this!". You know?

With these interfaces can i record guitar, bass and vocals? Could i record drums with them? Drums i'm not too worried about because i can just make basic drum loops in the meantime, i'm mainly interested in getting down guitars and vocals.

Recording drums the right way would involve multiple mics an an audio interface that could handle all the inputs. I personally use Drumkit From Hell software and it works for what I need. I know on my Omega I can record guitar, bass, and vocals, but I wouldn't come close to having enough mic inputs to record drums.

Check out M-Audio's website. They will give you pretty good run down of their interfaces and from there just pick one that will best fit your needs.

Cheers