I'm a newb to mixing. And I've been using FL studios stereo enhancer to make my guitars sound "better" I assume this is going to be the wrong way to do this right? Does anyone have any tips or links on mixing stereo for realz?

Do you always record 2 guitars and pan one to the left and the other to the right? Then it would be weird when a guitar solo comes along you'd have to pan to the middle.

Thanksss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Whipsmack at Dec 15, 2009,
anything that "widens" a mono track messes with phase. that's bad. if you ever listen to your mix in mono, it'll sound like crap.

as far as mixing tips, it really depends on what kind of song it is an what you're looking for. most rock and metal double tracks guitars and pans them out so they sound wider and fuller sense most of the focus is on the guitars. if the guitar is driving the song i would suggest doing that, or something similar at least. if you have to different rhythm guitar parts, you can pan each of those a bit to each side.

i really dont know what to say without knowing more about the song you're mixing.
Wow thanks so much guys. Well the song im recording is like a mix of classic rock / techno / with clean guitars in the verse its really weird.

I assume that I shouldn't be doing 2 tracks for clean guitars correcto? I guess it'll just take looots of experimentation.
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ yup, record your rythem guitars twice and pan them opposite then record your lead striaght up the middle. I dont quiet use a widener but I would call it more of a thickner, since I'm still not tight enough to double track.

Wait a second so, if you only have 1 guitarist you would still record it twice and pan them? So you have 2 different wav recordings for 1 guitarist? Thanks
Quote by Whipsmack
Wait a second so, if you only have 1 guitarist you would still record it twice and pan them? So you have 2 different wav recordings for 1 guitarist? Thanks

Yep, it actually helps a lot if its just one guitarist recording both the rhythms as well. Make sure to pan them 100% left and right respectively.
Quote by Whipsmack

No, you just record the same track twice. There's no way they can be 100% the same so it will make a nice wall of sound.