Has anyone got some experience with these amps? I've been having a look around and a full tube amp with replacable modules seems like a pretty decent concept, particularly since a 20w one is £500 on eBay and is manageable to transport (and probably enough for small bars).

Can they pull off a decent Metallica tone with the correct modules? Perhaps the Plexi or the KH module?

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
KILLER AMPS!!!!

My favorite modules are the Blackface (for cleans) and the 1086 (for dirties).

The 1086 is a mean little preamp. Kind of like meeting half way between a Mesa and Marshall. Great for metal!

Check out the MTS boards. Tons of info up there.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
How do the modules work? I've just had a look at the KH-1 based on Kirk's cleans, does this mean it doesn't have any gain on it, or can you get a good rhythm tone from it, or do you need both the KH-1 and the KH-2?

They do seem like pretty good products for the money.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
How do the modules work? I've just had a look at the KH-1 based on Kirk's cleans, does this mean it doesn't have any gain on it, or can you get a good rhythm tone from it, or do you need both the KH-1 and the KH-2?

They do seem like pretty good products for the money.

Each module kind of has a specific tone in mind. The Blackface for example has an emphasis on cleans. I'm sure it will get dirty if you crank the gain knob but it wont' get to you metal territory obviously. Same with the 1086, it was made with hi gain tones in mind. You can roll the gain knob back but it probably still won't be clean.

I believe the KH-1 was designed with cleans in mind. If you are looking for dirty tones, the KH-2 or 3 is probably what you want.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
The main problem is can you manage to get a clean and a gain tone from an RM20 which can only take a single module, or do you need at least the RM50 (which is substantially more expensive)?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Has anyone got some experience with these amps? I've been having a look around and a full tube amp with replacable modules seems like a pretty decent concept, particularly since a 20w one is £500 on eBay and is manageable to transport (and probably enough for small bars).

Can they pull off a decent Metallica tone with the correct modules? Perhaps the Plexi or the KH module?

Thanks.

Sounds like a good thing to do, but do you need a clean and an OD channel? If you do it'd make more sense to get the RM-50. It should be able to get a metallica tone from both of those, albeit from different eras. The KH module will definately will get you Kirks lead tone, its his module.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by Hidden Hippo
The main problem is can you manage to get a clean and a gain tone from an RM20 which can only take a single module, or do you need at least the RM50 (which is substantially more expensive)?

You might be able too by rolling the volume knob back backing the gain on the module down. But no, each module is viewed as a channel. If you want to channel switch, you need at least the RM50 (which is the best of the RM series, in my opinion).
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Hmm, the RM-50 is a pretty pricey thing - cheapest I've seen it is about £900 and that's without the KH modules (I play a lot of early Metallica, so the 1 and 2 would be my preferred modules - I could always add an OD to get the KH-3 tone).
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Hmm, the RM-50 is a pretty pricey thing - cheapest I've seen it is about £900 and that's without the KH modules (I play a lot of early Metallica, so the 1 and 2 would be my preferred modules - I could always add an OD to get the KH-3 tone).

Don't overlook other modules either. I think the KH ones are pretty weak compared to some of the other offerings.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Fair enough - I was thinking to get a fairly flexible 80s type tone the Plexi and the Blackface modules could give a pretty good tone. How much would I be looking at for a loaded RM50?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Fair enough - I was thinking to get a fairly flexible 80s type tone the Plexi and the Blackface modules could give a pretty good tone. How much would I be looking at for a loaded RM50?

Honestly, I have seen many for sale. One went on HC unloaded for $450 not to long ago.

Check the MTS boards, they are always swapping MTS gear over there. Might be able to come into a sweet deal.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Just had a look over on those forums and there problem would be shipping from the States. Is there a UK based site that is similar?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Just had a look over on those forums and there problem would be shipping from the States. Is there a UK based site that is similar?

That I don't know. Sorry.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Ak me anything, I like to be the MTS guru (ok, MTS's Bitch) of this forum. Also, I'm at the MTS forums too o.o Whatcha wanna know? And yes, you can use it as both clean and dirty, if you have a dual volume guitar; they clean up incredibly well. Depending on the module (Say, Plexi or Brown) I can play the non-distortion/light distortion easily, all the way through solo, solely via pick-up changes.

Metallica: The KH series is good, but they were designed with actives in mind (For Kirk). If you don't have actives, SL2 would do well, as would a modded Ultra or an XTC.

PS, everyone gets mods done; these things sound even better when modded!
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
I've not got actives at the moment, but its certainly something I'm considering putting in, although equally I might consider some high output passives.

Where's the best UK place to get them? eBay sells fairly cheap RM20B's with a mod - £500 with the Plexi or £520 with the KH-1, but nowhere seems to have the RM50. Is it possible to use the RM50 with a single mod until I can afford a second or would it blow up?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
I've not got actives at the moment, but its certainly something I'm considering putting in, although equally I might consider some high output passives.

Where's the best UK place to get them? eBay sells fairly cheap RM20B's with a mod - £500 with the Plexi or £520 with the KH-1, but nowhere seems to have the RM50. Is it possible to use the RM50 with a single mod until I can afford a second or would it blow up?

Nope. You can use it with one mod without a problem.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Looking at it - I could actually get both an RM20 with a plexi module and an RM20 with a Blackface module for £1000 which is about the same price it seems as an RM50 with a single module. Gah - why can't I have more money!
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Looking at it - I could actually get both an RM20 with a plexi module and an RM20 with a Blackface module for £1000 which is about the same price it seems as an RM50 with a single module. Gah - why can't I have more money!

Just, but given the type of music you play, you'd rather have a 6L6/EL34 power section instead of EL84s.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by Hidden Hippo

Thanks.

Actually it's 15 watts Not sure why they cann it the RM20 Anyway, it's an amazing amp, and oyu might enjoy the RM22 (2 channel version of the amp) if you want clean on high gain sounds. Plus, each slot on that model has a boost function, so you essentially have an all tube 15 watt 4 channel amp

And it will nail Metallica tones, but the RM50 and RM100 do a better job of it due to the power sections.

For Metallica:

Kill Em All: SL+
Ride The Lightning-AJFA: Ultra XL
Everything else: Grail or KH-3.

The best all around clean they have is the Blackface, but I modded mine to have characteristics of the Clean and Deluxe modules too

Go to the Gear For Metal thread and there's a link to a nearly comprehensive module guide I typed up for it.

Don't be afraid to go used. You can save a lotta moolah Check the classifieds ont he Randall forums to see if there are any people selling RM50's overseas. There's naught but good folks over there
Quote by Phantom123
Ak me anything, I like to be the MTS guru (ok, MTS's Bitch) of this forum.

You're MY MTS bitch... bitch
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
You're MY MTS bitch... bitch

THROW-DOWN! Hah, always good to see a kindred spirit. I am getting my Ultra modded to Soldano specs by Pete at gigmods during the winter break! I ultimately decided that over the Mark series module, which also sounded awesome
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Where can you get the RM22? I can't even see it listed on the Randall website - only the RM50 and RM20. That sounds like a pretty decent bet - not too powerful but has the versatility of the RM50 since single channel just sucks.

Thanks for the advice - I enjoy the KEA/MoP era stuff although Death Magnetic has some good thrash style riffs, so might well go for the SL+ (and turn the gain down slightly for MoP) and a Blackface.

With regards tone - I though the preamp section had the most impact on the tone rather than the power amp, or am I just being a complete idiot?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Where can you get the RM22? I can't even see it listed on the Randall website - only the RM50 and RM20. That sounds like a pretty decent bet - not too powerful but has the versatility of the RM50 since single channel just sucks.

Thanks for the advice - I enjoy the KEA/MoP era stuff although Death Magnetic has some good thrash style riffs, so might well go for the SL+ (and turn the gain down slightly for MoP) and a Blackface.

With regards tone - I though the preamp section had the most impact on the tone rather than the power amp, or am I just being a complete idiot?

The Poweramp, if it's breaking up like in rock, can do a lot. Playing metal, where you DON'T want that break up, yeah, preamp is more important for you. RM22 is odd. I don't know that it's out yet, but I saw someone buy one today on the MTS forums, and post the following NAD :\?
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Quote by Hidden Hippo

No, they both influence the tone greatly. You are going to get the same thump and "bigness" from EL84s that you would from 6L6s or EL34s.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
How drastic is the difference between EL34 and EL84's tonally? Is it so much that I couldn't get a good Metallica tone (taking into account that I don't necessarily only want that tone, but a good one is a must) or would it just not be quite as good as it could be?

The RM22 doesn't seem to exist - even the big US chains, let alone UK shops, don't seem to list them let alone have them available.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo

FunkyMunkyMusic can order you some. I just saw somebody on the MTSforum today who recently got one through them, and they may be able to help you with the overseas deal

Actually, Gain down from KEA and Death Magnetic, up for MOP A great example of the SL+ tone is actually Accept-"Balls to the Wall". Imagine that, but with some versatility

Everything has its part in the shaping of the tone. The preamps have a lot to do with it, but sometimes you just need more headroom or a certain type of power section to compliment certain types of music. People who say power tubes do very little to tone are just kinda jaded, IMO.
The EL84 tone of the RM20 and 22 might be a little mushy for what you're looking for (but it may well NOT be too mushy, and you might enjoy it quite well). If at all possible, try to track somebody down who lives near you and owns an RM20 through the Randall forums and see if you can try one out, or try to find one in a local shop.
Quote by Hidden Hippo
How drastic is the difference between EL34 and EL84's tonally? Is it so much that I couldn't get a good Metallica tone (taking into account that I don't necessarily only want that tone, but a good one is a must) or would it just not be quite as good as it could be?

The RM22 doesn't seem to exist - even the big US chains, let alone UK shops, don't seem to list them let alone have them available.

EL84's break up earlier, have a softer low end, and more midrange with a very glassy high end (somewhat similar to a Vox AC15/30, and some Fenders).

EL34's have more headroom, a more balanced sound (as opposed to the EL84) with tighter bass, and a nicer crunch for heavy music.
Quote by Phantom123
The Poweramp, if it's breaking up like in rock, can do a lot. Playing metal, where you DON'T want that break up, yeah, preamp is more important for you. RM22 is odd. I don't know that it's out yet, but I saw someone buy one today on the MTS forums, and post the following NAD :\?

Most likely a preorder or special order. They should be coming out to the general public in the next few months.
Quote by Phantom123
THROW-DOWN! Hah, always good to see a kindred spirit. I am getting my Ultra modded to Soldano specs by Pete at gigmods during the winter break! I ultimately decided that over the Mark series module, which also sounded awesome

I'm gonna sell my friend my Ultra Lead so he can get the Mark module for his main high gain tone when he finally gets a Randall
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 15, 2009,
That Mark module sounded god awesome. If I had the extra money, I'd get one so fast it'd somehow become hilarious. However, Soldano sound was always my first love, and the one I will target first =P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
Cheers guys - I think I'll have a look around for an RM50, the temptation of EL84's and the two modules is too great to pass up.

What mods should I go for? An SL+ and a Blackface?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Question. What module would I need for Breaking benjamin and Guns n Roses?
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.