I switched out the standard pups on my Dean Razorback V with Blackouts about a year ago, and had the problem of the soldering not sticking to the pots. I eventually got it to stay using ridiculous amounts of solder. However, things are starting to come loose, so I'm re-soldering everything. Again, nothing will stick. I tried cleaning the surface off with goo-gone. Still no stick. Help!

Thanks
~FI
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
not sticking to the back of the pots, you mean?

start by scuffing it up a little bit with some sandpaper.. that'll help a bit.
and what kind of soldering iron do you have?
higher heat helps a bit, as well, since it's a bigger surface to heat up, so if you've got a lower quality iron, that might be contributing to the problem..
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I don't think it could be a problem with my soldering iron, it gets plenty hot enough to do everything else quickly and cleanly.

Edit: And I had it heated up to the point where I could feel the heat in the point where I was holding it, on the part that sticks through to hold the knob.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
Last edited by Fatal Instinct at Dec 15, 2009,
What the venerable Mr Collins is alluding to, is that you need a big, fast delivery of heat from a big iron.

It is also much better to use fast heat, quickly, that lower (slow) heat over a duration, because heating for a longer period is more likely to damage components.

Run your finger quickly through a candle flame, or press your finger against a recently boiled kettle?

And yes, I also concur that sanding or filing the back of the pot will help.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 15, 2009,