Page 1 of 2
Anyone here have that special ability to recall at ear's glance, the name of any pitch that is sounding without reference to another pitch? And if you do, how do you do it? I mean how does it feel like, does each note feel different to the ear? How does a C differentiate from a D? What qualities does each pitch have?

I'm just curious
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Dec 15, 2009,
I don't know, maybe this guy can help;

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Someone is going to post the stupid picture, that well then be quoted and given a 3 rowed and 3 columned box of "haha" smilies now known as the lolstack...

Oh and no I don't or atleast I wasn't born with it. I'm pretty good at getting the notes right now though. But if someone did have perfect pitch why would they be on a tabs site in the first place?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Primus2112
I don't know, maybe this guy can help;

in conforming to the assertions expressed in Venice King's post, here, Primus2112, is your lolstack.

EDIT: okay, 1x3 is not an lolstack. it's an lolrow. confirmed.

lolstack:

Last edited by AeolianWolf at Dec 15, 2009,
I can listen to something , try map it out on the fretboard in my head and then play it on the guitar
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
My old guitar teacher had it. Told me he was born with it. He was a fantastic musician (played piano as well as guitar).

The said he saw each note as a different colour, if that helps any.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by AeolianWolf
in conforming to the assertions expressed in Venice King's post, here, Primus2112, is your lolstack.

thats more like a lolrow. this is a lolstack:

My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I'm actually pretty good at it, but like someone said, it will never be PERFECT.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by AeolianWolf

That, sir, is 1/3 of a proper lolstacks. Notice that he said 3 rowed and 3 columned.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Quote by The_Casinator
Perfect pitch requires practice and experience. And still you won't be perfect.

No, not really. People with perfect pitch hear tones just as clearly as we see colors. There's a blind kid that goes to my music school, and you can play any chord on the piano and he can tell you exactly what it is with no help. Even complex stuff like half-diminished 7th chords.
Check out my band Disturbed
my old guitar teacher has "perfect pitch".most people are born with it. I think any musician could learn "relative pitch" which requires alot of work and patience
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
A friend of mine who has perfect pitch explained it like this:
It's really no different then remembering different colors. Once I (my friend) learn what "red" looks like I can identify it every time I see it.

Now, this type of perfect pitch is very rare, and very hard to train. What's far more common is people just having very good relative pitch which is the ability to hear intervals off of a base pitch.
Quote by Tango616
I'm actually pretty good at it, but like someone said, it will never be PERFECT.

Perfect pitch is something your born with, 1 in 10,000 people are said to have it, roughly. It would be as easy as telling the difference between red and green for them to tell between notes/chords etc. Pretty lucky gift to have. I knew a music teacher with it.

Oh and screw you Primus2112
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Doodleface
My old guitar teacher had it. Told me he was born with it. He was a fantastic musician (played piano as well as guitar).

That is called "Synesthesia".
Quote by Doodleface

That sounds like synaesthesia. People with perfect pitch won't necessarily associate different pitches with colours.
Quote by Venice King
Perfect pitch is something your born with, 1 in 10,000 people are said to have it, roughly. It would be as easy as telling the difference between red and green for them to tell between notes/chords etc. Pretty lucky gift to have. I knew a music teacher with it.

Oh and screw you Primus2112

Not entirely true.

People say you can't train it but I know a musical genius who couldn't do it before but can now instantly recognise any note you sing or play. He says that he just spent ages listening to individual notes over and over again.

I mean... there are 12 notes, it's not too hard to remember all of them.

EDIT:

Hang on//
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Maybe on a kazoo?

A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#

I count twelve.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
Not entirely true.

People say you can't train it but I know a musical genius who couldn't do it before but can now instantly recognise any note you sing or play. He says that he just spent ages listening to individual notes over and over again.

I mean... there are 12 notes, it's not too hard to remember all of them.

EDIT:

Hang on//

Oh yeah, no doubt that it can be trained, like I said in my first post I myself am getting better at it and am confident one day I'll be "perfect" at it But I don't know if that is called perfect pitch or it has a name of it's own? I've always thought perfect pitch was the thing you were born with where as training your ear would be like learnt note recognition.

Quote by isabiggles
A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#

I count twelve.

I think he was meaning the octaves differences, which doesn't really make a difference when recognising notes.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Last edited by Venice King at Dec 15, 2009,
Someone recently tested me with a tuner, I was out by about 4%. Not bad, I guess, considering the serious damage I've done to my ears over the years.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Brilliant...
It feels like getting head from Jessica Alba, it's pretty cool.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
I have it somewhat. I can tell which chords are which because i've distinguished the sound between all of them. Although it's only for major and minor chords, not so much the diminished chords and stuff like that. For example, E major sounds very broad-shouldered, if that makes sensd to anyone. G major is mellow, A major is punchy, D major is innocent, C major is just C major, I haven't figured out an adjective for it

I can also look at a piece of unlabeled sheet music and tell what song it is, even though I haven't learned it or even seen the music for it before. I can also tell what a note is by the way it feels in my voice when i sing it.
About half the time I can, with C instruments. It comes from years of experience; I never tried to be able to do it but it developed into a skill.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Quote by CrackAddict2000
It feels like getting head from Jessica Alba, it's pretty cool.

you would be satisfied with getting head from jessica alba? I would not
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I knew a guy in band in high school who was born with it. Not only could he tell you what the note was but also if it was flat or sharp. You could name a note, he would sing it and it would be spot on according to the tuner.
Quote by dustyboy316
Change that sig, **** thats annoying.

My Effector Mod
I have relative pitch, and very good pitch memory, so if I hear something in C, G, D, or A, I can usually let you know. I have perfect pitch on violin thought.

It's not a color thing for me, different keys have different sounds and the such, but I don't have the association of each key being a different note. Instead I see it as a keyboard, and that note HAS to be in it's spot, because it goes there. Play me a D and I figure it out because it's too low to be an E, but too high to be a C.
Quote by DashBlaster
I have relative pitch, and very good pitch memory, so if I hear something in C, G, D, or A, I can usually let you know. I have perfect pitch on violin thought.

It's not a color thing for me, different keys have different sounds and the such, but I don't have the association of each key being a different note. Instead I see it as a keyboard, and that note HAS to be in it's spot, because it goes there. Play me a D and I figure it out because it's too low to be an E, but too high to be a C.

How can you have perfect pitch on one instrument and not another? You either have it or you don't
Quote by JAHellraiser
you would be satisfied with getting head from jessica alba? I would not

It's pretty cool, not superawesome.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by National_Anthem
How can you have perfect pitch on one instrument and not another? You either have it or you don't

This.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
C is like a sharp stabbing pain in my side. Where as D# and F# Feel like Satan is lurking behind me.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Venice King
Oh yeah, no doubt that it can be trained, like I said in my first post I myself am getting better at it and am confident one day I'll be "perfect" at it But I don't know if that is called perfect pitch or it has a name of it's own? I've always thought perfect pitch was the thing you were born with where as training your ear would be like learnt note recognition.

Note recognition is essentially the same as perfect pitch. Some people naturally have it.. for example a guy in my class who isn't great at music but still has perfect pitch but others can train it until it's perfect. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you can't train to have perfect pitch.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by DashBlaster
Violins resonate more on certain notes and certain strings, and it's easy to hear.

Then you're only able to recognise an A because its causing the open A string to vibrate sympathetically, not because you're able to distinguish the difference between pitches.

Quote by isabiggles
Note recognition is essentially the same as perfect pitch. Some people naturally have it.. for example a guy in my class who isn't great at music but still has perfect pitch but others can train it until it's perfect. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you can't train to have perfect pitch.

I'd agree with everything you say, but I don't know what you're getting at in the first sentence. Perfect pitch is note recognition
Last edited by National_Anthem at Dec 15, 2009,
i think i have relative pitch

what i usually do when i hear a note is compare it with notes on my most well known intstrument (mentally), which is bagpipes, and decide which one it sounds closest to, its really just about audio memory, and it can be trained just like any other type of memory

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
i can fool people into thinking i have perfect pitch. i really can just hear a note and be like "hmm, that's the first note of Jenny Wren by paul mccartney!" i do a bit of thinking and say its a D. the thinking is mainly to remember the name of the note, like figure out what a 6th fret D string is callled, etc. i can identify notes. i don't really think i have perfect pitch though, i don't know what you would call this. i do have color-music synesthesia, however.
Page 1 of 2