I currently play an Ibanez RGT42 and really like it a lot but now I'm in a band I'd like to work towards upgrading my instrument. A Prestige RGT is simply too much so I need alternatives.

Essentials

1) No more than about £1500
2) Good quality locking trem
3) 24 frets
4) Thin and fast neck

Desireable

1) Mahogany
2) Not active pickups
3) Thru-neck

Nothing so far leaps out as absolutely ideal. ESP seem to do some thru-neck guitars but they have active EMG pups and I don't know about the necks. Jackson may be possible but some of the Soloists don't seem to be stocked in many places and certainly the SL1 is very expensive. The only other one I could think of was an Ibanez S5470 but of course that isn't a thru-neck so it may depend on how easy access to the upper frets is compared to my existing guitar. Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Looks like you have the bases covered, Jackson and ESP came to mind immediately but you are right, most ESP's have actives. What about a Carvin? Not sure if you can wait or if they ship to the UK though. Ibanez RG Prestige has some well within your price point but they're basswood and bolt ons, the S Prestige is at least mahogany.
Last edited by potatohead_33 at Dec 15, 2009,
esp Horizon nt-ii??
or the ltd mh-1000-nt . . . cheaper?
ltd h-1001-fm? never played them ,just puttin a few ideas out there
if you bought an esp you could just sell the emgs, buy some passives and you would come out with more money.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
if you bought an esp you could just sell the emgs, buy some passives and you would come out with more money.

+1 esp all the way, they make stunning guitars IMO
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Chase_Jarvis23
Hey well it is right at the tip of your budget, but check this out http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=07020217214729 A Caparison with most of the features you mentioned, and even more frets!

I'd go with a Caparison, flawless construction

Maybe have a look for a Dellinger if the angled fretboard isn't your cup of tea
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
ESP makes cool guitars, but IMO they're really overpriced. Recently I was looking for a backup guitar and I needed one with almost the same specs(I needed actives) and I came across BC Rich's NJ DLX series. I played one at the store and it seemed pretty decent to me. The only thing that I didn't like was the FR1000(ESPs have those ones on their non-american models too),which is still decent, but I have an OFR that I'll install the day I'll buy it(today btw). Other guitars I considered were the Dean Razorback 255s and the Shecter Hellraisers. You can just take the EMGs out(no idea why you don't like them) and plus you'll have a battery cavity in case you want to install some cool effect in your guitar.
Last edited by Grimriffer at Dec 15, 2009,
Im going to be the different one if it hasn't been mentioned.

Have you looked at Carvin or Warmoth or any other custom builders?
You could get like 2 or perhaps 3 ESP LTD M200FM for that... Which come with EMG HZ (Pasives) which you could replace with a pickup of your choice...

They are well built through neck guitars... Fast 24 fret neck etc.
Quote by Chase_Jarvis23
Hey well it is right at the tip of your budget, but check this out http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=07020217214729 A Caparison with most of the features you mentioned, and even more frets!

Ewww what a crappy guitar.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/guitars-1/electric-guitars-2/esp-horizon-fr-ii-electric-guitar-black-aqua-288.html?zenid=61e9ad4114ec0b121c3c86c57896283a This meets all your requirements and it's a bloody good looking guitar as well.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Im going to be the different one if it hasn't been mentioned.

Have you looked at Carvin or Warmoth or any other custom builders?

I mentioned Carvin earlier... They may very well be my next guitar because nobody else makes what I want, easier to just build it yourself I guess.
I thought about a custom build but imagine it would be expensive and it would have limited resale value. The Ibanez appeals simply because I already know I like them and the neck suits me. However, I think the ESP guitars warrant further investigation. I've never played one so I have no idea how the neck compares to an Ibanez and nobody around here stocks them but I may be up in Newcastle soon(ish) so I'll try one there. As luck would have it, the store that stocks ESP also stocks Caparison, which is a make I'd never considered before but I have to admit they look very interesting. Again it's a company I know nothing about and they're certainly at the top of my budget but I think they're well worth a look.

Thanks guys; any more ideas are gratefully received.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I would look into the S5470 or the RG3620Z. But if you're thinking about the RG3620Z, also look into J. Customs. In America, you can get them for about the same price. The bolt-on necks have the same access as neck-throughs. The thing only thing that gets in the way on both constructions is the bottom horn. If you love Ibanez necks, there's nothing better and it only gets better with the Wizard Prestige and Super Wizard Prestige. ESP, Caparison, or Carvin can't compare. I wouldn't sacrifice playability.
Quote by Doadman
As luck would have it, the store that stocks ESP also stocks Caparison, which is a make I'd never considered before but I have to admit they look very interesting. Again it's a company I know nothing about and they're certainly at the top of my budget but I think they're well worth a look.

Quality instruments those Caparison's are. IMO about the same quality wise with the ESP Standard Series but something about them just stands out above them compared to the ESP stuff.
It might be worth a call to Tim Ellis to see if he can do a modified Mantis 2 from his custom shop. The Mantis is usually 22 fret with hardtail or classic trem but his custom shop prices are reasonable and build quality is brilliant.
They are certainly one of the most attractive guitars around today.
http://www.tcellisguitars.com/mantis.html
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by JELIFISH19
I would look into the S5470 or the RG3620Z.

The S5470 has the advantage of being cheap (relatively) so I'd have money spare to put my own pups in. I hadn't thought about an RG that much as so many are basswood but that RG3620Z looks fantastic. With the exception of the thru-neck it has everything I'm looking for, though it is a little over budget. Certainly one to consider and I love the look of the blue one
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
The S5470 has the advantage of being cheap (relatively) so I'd have money spare to put my own pups in. I hadn't thought about an RG that much as so many are basswood but that RG3620Z looks fantastic. With the exception of the thru-neck it has everything I'm looking for, though it is a little over budget. Certainly one to consider and I love the look of the blue one

I'm still strongly suggesting Carvin. They're superb and very affordable for being custom builders.
I've tried a few of them now at least. The ESP Horizon looked gorgeous but it wasn't for me as the neck is noticeably thicker than my existing Ibanez. The ESP M-II was much better. The neck still wasn't quite as thin as mine but it was certainly acceptable. It felt very light with it being Alder and I usually find that wood too bright sounding but from what I've gathered on this forum, when you have active EMG pups installed the wood of the guitar makes very little difference. I've not really used EMG's before so I can't really say for myself at this stage. For some reason the lack of a tone control jars a bit but I have no idea why because I never actually use mine! I also tried an Ibanez S5470, which was a bit like coming home in terms of the neck and I really liked the trem system on that one. It felt odd with such a thin body and I did certainly miss the accessibility of a thru-neck. Unfortunately, that particulat store didn't stock Caparison or the Ibanez RG3620Z so there is still more research to be done. I like the thru-neck on the ESP M-II a lot while the ultra thin neck and tonal options on the S5470 appeal on that one. I've also had a look on the Jackson website and really liked the SL2H-MAHQ Soloist but I can't find one anywhere in the UK so for the moment it looks like that one discounts itself!

Difficult choice but bloody good fun looking.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I get seriously tired of all the noobs baseless bashing basswood. If anybody could tell me why they feel it's so awful, without resorting to a flimsy personal opinion, I'd really appreciate it.

Basswood is a supremely even tone wood. You hear your pickups and your amp with the actual guitar itself doing very little to color the tone. Unless you go to some really radical pickup choice you'll be pleasantly surprised to find you've got a guitar that you can EQ to suit most tastes. There's a good reason why lots of Ibanez players stick with basswood on their signature guitars - it's ****ing awesome wood.

I'm also going to cover my ass by making it clear that a cheap cut of wood is going to suck no matter what species it is. Cheap mahogany isn't any better than cheap alder or ash - they all sound like junk.

TS, if you're already attached to your RG then why not just get a Prestige? It's not like you're going to unravel the fabric of the universe if you don't diversify your guitar collection.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
It's not that I have anything particular against basswood, it's more that I just happen to like the warmth you tend to get from mahogany, however, if everything else was right with the guitar and it happened to be basswood or alder etc. then I'd still buy it. To some degree I accept that I will have to make some kind of compromise because nobody appears to make the guitar I want in my price bracket. ESP has the thru-neck but I'm far from convinced by the EMG 81 pups; Ibanez have the wood and necks but not a thru-neck in my budget and the Jackson SL2H-MAHQ sounds perfect but I can't find anyone in the UK who sells it!!! In many ways it would be easier just to get a Prestige RGT but I'm just not prepared to spend £2200 on a guitar that would cost another £200 for the only colour that is even half way decent and even at that I'd still want to change the pups.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I'd say go shopping for a used 550, but they're bolt-ons.

Oh wellz.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Either ESP or Caparison. ESP just swap the pickups. Downside of Caparison for you is the bolt on necks

Errr Caparison do produce models with neck-thru....
Quote by ch0
I get seriously tired of all the noobs baseless bashing basswood. If anybody could tell me why they feel it's so awful, without resorting to a flimsy personal opinion, I'd really appreciate it.

Basswood is a supremely even tone wood. You hear your pickups and your amp with the actual guitar itself doing very little to color the tone. Unless you go to some really radical pickup choice you'll be pleasantly surprised to find you've got a guitar that you can EQ to suit most tastes. There's a good reason why lots of Ibanez players stick with basswood on their signature guitars - it's ****ing awesome wood.

I'm also going to cover my ass by making it clear that a cheap cut of wood is going to suck no matter what species it is. Cheap mahogany isn't any better than cheap alder or ash - they all sound like junk.

TS, if you're already attached to your RG then why not just get a Prestige? It's not like you're going to unravel the fabric of the universe if you don't diversify your guitar collection.

Exactly, Petrucci, Vai, Lukather, all these guys use basswood.....
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I've been taking a closer look at the Jackson Soloist range and the more I look at them, the more they interest me. Obviously the SL2H-MAHQ is the nearest to what I want but I wouldn't have a strong objection to any of them to be honest as they all look to be very good. The SL1 and SL2 models appear to be much the same in terms of price so I guess it's just down to your preference between H-H and H-S-S configurations. In looking at the Soloist range I have come up with a couple of questions and I'm hoping that somebody who knows them well can enlighten me.

1) When I talk of Ibanez, the models made in Japan are supposed to be the best yet Jacksons made in Japan are noticeably cheaper. A quick look at the specs suggests that there isn't a great deal of difference between an SL1 and an SL3 yet the SL3 is practically half the price. Is there really that much difference? Is the SL3 more like my RGT42 while the SL1 is like a top end Prestige Ibanez?

2) I thought the Soloist was a range of guitars in itself while an MG was another Jackson line yet there seems to be an MG Soloist as well. What's that all about?
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1