Basically the sound occasionally stops for seemingly no reason. Here are the things I find odd...

The red light stays on
The tubes stay on
All of my pedals still have power
If I unplug the cable from my pedals (so the cable is going from the amp input to my hand) it doesn't make any noise at all (no power?)
The sound comes back if I unplug the effects loop return and plug it back in again
If I unplug and of the other cables, it makes no difference
Sometimes it comes back without me touching the effects loop return cable

Anything else for me to check?
does it do it with all your guitars?
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Spray some contact cleaner on the cable end and work it in and out of the FX return jack.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Spray some contact cleaner on the cable end and work it in and out of the FX return jack.

I can try that, but it doesnt seem like its a dodgy cable end. Like, I can twist and bend the cable at the jack and it doesnt cut the sound or anything.
Quote by Random3
I can try that, but it doesnt seem like its a dodgy cable end. Like, I can twist and bend the cable at the jack and it doesnt cut the sound or anything.

Preamp tube, possibly. I'm not sure if the valve king has a preamp tube dedicated to the FX loop or not. My 6505+ does.

Anyone know?

Scratch that, no it doesn't. V1 is Input as well as clean and drive. V2 is overdrive and V3 is Phase Inverter. Perhaps swap some tubes around? If the problem changes, i.e. ur distortion suddenly goes shitty or you experience some kind of feedback, then it's one of the tubes you swapped over.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Dec 15, 2009,
Sounds like a dirty FX loop Contact, pretty common with Peaveys. Contact cleaner on the end of the cable and push it in and out of the jack that's playing up a few times. Report back when successful.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Random3
Hmm it has 3 preamp tubes if that helps

Sorry I'm a bit of a tube noob.

I edited my last post to include the info.

Just don't swap the preamp tubes while the amp is on.
Quote by R.D
Sounds like a dirty FX loop Contact, pretty common with Peaveys. Contact cleaner on the end of the cable and push it in and out of the jack that's playing up a few times. Report back when successful.

I still feel like this is the best first step for troubleshooting this issue. Give it a try before you mess with the preamp tube fix.
Quote by Random3
Yeah it does the same thing with my bass, so I guess it's not a problem with the guitar. I'll try checking the input jack

wait... did you run your bass through your vavleking????
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings