I am sure you guys can relate...

some sort of Inspiration usually sets it off, and you cannot control it.

It's when the writers block you may have all of a sudden breaks away and you start hearing these great melodies (or a song, or and idea for a song) in your head. It almost runs on autopilot, any melodies you think of work and sound good in your head. you hope they sound good on paper, and when you write them down and listen to them later they do sound good, and you are baffled as to what set off the melodies in your head or, more confusingly, why you cannot have the same feeling or "moment" anytime.

Basically, these things are usually set off by something (hearing a song, being in a new environment). My point is that when it happens, is almost like I am in a totally new mental state, I literally FEEL completely differeent, whatever song or riff that is in my head is running on autopilot, I feel like the song almost writes itself - I dont have to think about it. I am sure most musicians have moments like these. This is apparently how eric johnson wrote cliffs of dover - he stated that it wrote itself. It feels like unknown force says to you "here is a riff/ song, it will write itself, but the moment will only last 20 minutes, after that you will return to normal, so capture it while you can"

It has only happened a couple times in the last couple months. and whenever it does happen, I am at work ( I work an engineering job which requires me to run around a lot , so I usually end up "losing" one of these moments becuase I am not home where I guitar is laying around).

What I am wondering is, how do you guys deal with these moments? Carry a miniature portable guitar in your pocket everywhere whenever inspiration hits? Can you force these moments on yourself?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Sometimes I record myself humming the melody with my mobile, slapping my fingers against it at the same time to make sure I'll understand the rhythmic context later when I listen to it.
I remember I had one of these moments once.
I was in a Maths lesson at school, and a killer riff came into my head. Fortunately, it was already half way through the lesson, and it was the last lesson of the day. I kept doing the riff in my head, thinkin of how it would be played on guitar etc.
Walked home on my own just to make sure I wouldn't forget it.
When I got home (about 20min walk from school) I needed the loo, and i reasoned 'I've remembered it this long, I'll remember it in 5 mins time'.
That crap was my downfall.
By the time i emerge from the bathroom, I had completely forgotten the riff...

Maybe it's still floating about, waiting for someone else to torture...
Quote by Winsbury
I remember I had one of these moments once.
I was in a Maths lesson at school, and a killer riff came into my head. Fortunately, it was already half way through the lesson, and it was the last lesson of the day. I kept doing the riff in my head, thinkin of how it would be played on guitar etc.
Walked home on my own just to make sure I wouldn't forget it.
When I got home (about 20min walk from school) I needed the loo, and i reasoned 'I've remembered it this long, I'll remember it in 5 mins time'.
That crap was my downfall.
By the time i emerge from the bathroom, I had completely forgotten the riff...

Maybe it's still floating about, waiting for someone else to torture...
I can completely relate to this.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I've had it happen in my dreams. When I wake up I can't remember it though. I also have lots of melodies in my head that I still can't figure out.
I definitely know what you're talking about.

For me, it usually happens when I'm reminiscing. Usually, I reminisce to myself while bored in class, so its not like I can grab my guitar try and write it down. I remember one time it happened during the last class of the day, and I was struggling to keep it in my head on the train. Of course, things about it started to change, and I couldn't remember what it was like originally.
Fail.

They're great, but you really gotta capture them or else they're no good.
Yes man, I know exakkly what you mean, and like its already been said, I usually take my cell phone and record myself humming, I talk about the feel I want it to have, and all that. Yes, talking to yourself may sound stupid, but youll thank yourself once you get home to the geetar.
yea, I have those occasionally. of course I normally forget em, but there have been a few times where I happened to have a guitar nearby... those times are normally when I'm really tired but can't sleep for some reason. I'll end up getting out of bed and playing for a while, and I'll come up with something cool and do a quick recording and go to bed.

what's awful is when you get that inspiration while you have a guitar and plenty of time, start writing a song, and you lose that ability halfway through the song, or else you write yourself into a hole and the song hits a point where it needs to go in an entirely new direction, but because it's suddenly so wide open, you don't know where to go next. kinda like a restaurant with a menu that's way to big. whenever this happens I normally save it into GP and it'll be a long time before I finish it.

Hell, I've got one right now that I've been working on for months. I came up with a cool intro on one of those sleepless nights, then the next day I kinda carried on with the same general idea and got stuck. a few weeks later I came back to it and wrote myself into a dead end. a while later I figured out a cool part with a complex bassline behind some chords and modulated to a new key, then a few days later I wrote myself into one of those wide open spots where I don't know where to go. Now I've figured out another part for the song, but I don't know how to bridge into it lol.
Yeah, I've had plenty of these moments too. Mostly at work when I have no way of recording it. I work in a Biohazardous laboratory, so no cell phone to hum into either.
I think I've only ever remembered one or two riffs long enough to record them.
Maybe you can come up with a saying to go along with the melody of the riff, and then keep saying it over and over again. Chances are you wont forget the sentence you used, and if you say it to yourself long enough, the words will go hand in hand with the melody. Just a though, never tried it myself, but it sounds like it would work, I think.
Quote by JR2204
Maybe you can come up with a saying to go along with the melody of the riff, and then keep saying it over and over again. Chances are you wont forget the sentence you used, and if you say it to yourself long enough, the words will go hand in hand with the melody. Just a though, never tried it myself, but it sounds like it would work, I think.

Yes, this works for me, usually. Sometimes tho, I hear such complex music in my head, that there's no way I can keep it all in there long enough to let it out, even if I have a guitar in my hand.

This actually happened me this morning. I was walking to the shop and someone in the room next to me was strumming a guitar. I heard 2 chords and immediately a melody came into my mind. I came up with a phrase to remember it by, and walked to the shop and back, but while I was opening my guitar case, I forgot my phrase and with it the melody.
Usually happens when I'm just playing (helps when my amp's turned up), and i get really into the moment and start doing something then go with it. I'll repeat it then add new things. When it happens when I'm not playing or can't get to a guitar i try to make an effort to remember it but I rarely do.
Uggh. It's really restarted for me. I can only think of cool riffs while I'm not playing the guitar. I can just keep soloing on in my head at school and it sounds pretty good. Then I get home and it just stops. Maybe I can get creative when I move out.

And then I came up with some awesome riff I happened to remember and my friend told me it sounded a lot like Barracuda, which I had never heard before.