Quote by KoujiRabbit
PIMA method; you use your Thumb, Index, Middle, and Pinky.

WRONG.

It's Thumb, Index, Middle, Ring for "free stroke" (tirando)

And then usually your index and middle (or index and ring, or middle and ring) for "rest stroke" (appoyando)

The pinky is only really used for rasguedo.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
I was taught not to use the ring finger, I'm sorry?
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Edition (2008)
Johnson Standard (1993)
Fender Starcaster (2003)
Yamaha F325 Acoustic (2008)
Ibanez Acoustic (2007)
Sorry KoujiRabbit, it was just how I've been taught and how I've seen many other people play. The pinky is naturally weaker, due to the ring and pinky sharing a tendon. You can use the pinky, but it shouldn't be at the ignorance of avoiding using your ring finger.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
I think my instructor was trying to strengthen the pinky by teaching that way. Either way I play which ever way is more accurate and comfortable :P.
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Edition (2008)
Johnson Standard (1993)
Fender Starcaster (2003)
Yamaha F325 Acoustic (2008)
Ibanez Acoustic (2007)
A lot of people don't play using their pinky. There are some styles of music that will end up requiring you to use your pinky, though. Doesn't really hurt to strengthen your pinky if you like. I started with using my pinky but I've kinda abandoned it. I still can do it though.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by Pure_Morning
Sorry KoujiRabbit, it was just how I've been taught and how I've seen many other people play. The pinky is naturally weaker, due to the ring and pinky sharing a tendon. You can use the pinky, but it shouldn't be at the ignorance of avoiding using your ring finger.

Tendon sheath , I believe
Not many guitarists use their pinky. Most guitarists learned the PIMA method and use it, though there are exceptions. Personally I can't use my pinky because I have pretty short fingers altogether which renders my pinky completely useless because I'd have to change my right hand position to strike with it, which isn't very economical motionwise.

What's interesting about the shared tendon of the pinky and ring is that if when you strike a string, you follow inwards towards the centre of your palm (in a free stroke that is), so if you're striking with your ring finger you can follow through with both your ring and pinky even though you only strike with your ring. That way you get the full power and motion from that tendon.