Page 1 of 4
I'm usually on the side of the police when things like this happen, but I am having a hard time believing that this wasn't a bit over the top...

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=11677066#

911 tape.
http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=11683007

EDIT: Sorry... She was 62...
Last edited by JDawg at Dec 15, 2009,
She was an old woman with a weapon that is only effective at close range. Use of firearms is definitely not justified in this case. At most rubber bullets or something.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Should have aimed for the legs if they were going to shoot at all.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Yeah, this was just a bit over the top.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
The Blade reports Murphy had her hands under a pillow. Police eventually used a taser on her, which did not work. The newspaper reports that police say Murphy lunged at them with scissors, and then four shots were fired.

Family friend Michelle Tate says the woman suffered from schizophrenia, depression, bi-polar disorder and also had a bad heart.

Mother****er
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm more distracted by the fact you've been here over 8 years...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Wow. That seems a bit excessive, but I guess she did try to attack them. Still, she probably didn't even know what she was doing.
Last edited by D&DLover at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It sounds to me like the woman was having a schizophrenic episode...

More like scissorfrantic.
After seeing the trailer for Legion, I don't trust old ladies anymore.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
oh well. and when i say oh well. i mean oh well. if a police officer has to shoot, they should shoot to kill since their lifes are endangered, and if they do not act, other lives will be too. yes, she was 62, and it is sad, but what must be done must be done. the taser didnt work, so they at least tried to use non lethal weapons. and if you think im a heartless bastard, i agree, i dont have much faith in humans as people as it is.
If it said "62 year old woman kills cop with scissors" people would probably wonder why the cop didn't shoot her. It's a lose-lose situation.
Quote by GerGuam
If it said "62 year old woman kills cop with scissors" people would probably wonder why the cop didn't shoot her. It's a lose-lose situation.

You can shoot someone in the legs, or elsewhere other than the torso and it will both immobilize them and leave them with a good chance of surviving the wounds.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
She lunged at them from close range with a weapon that could have badly injured or killed them. They had already tried to reason with her and then taser her. What the fuck else should they have done?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
She lunged at them from close range with a weapon that could have badly injured or killed them. They had already tried to reason with her and then taser her. What the fuck else should they have done?

1. Shoot her legs

2. Use the batons they have.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by GerGuam

Except no.

Quote by GodofCheesecake

I'm glad you are not a cop.
why would you need to shoot a 62 year old woman? if she had a bad heart then you'd be able to outrun her
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
You can shoot someone in the legs, or elsewhere other than the torso and it will both immobilize them and leave them with a good chance of surviving the wounds.

Except for the fact that any competent shooting instructor will tell you that you always aim at center mass, i.e. the chest. Shooting someone in the legs is for the movies, which aren't terribly good sources of accurate information.
Shoot her in the legs? Rubber bullets??? Y'all watch too many movies...
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Should have aimed for the legs if they were going to shoot at all.

No. There's a few of these in every shooting thread. Using a gun is using lethal force, no matter where you shoot the person. Shooting for center mass has a much higher chance of stopping the person, therefore that is the shot law enforcement officers are trained to take.

I don't know enough about the shooting to personally pass judgement on the officer, but it takes very little time to run to someone and stab them. 62 year old or not.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
That is VERY over the top.
She should have been in the clear. She had the excuse.
She suffered from a bad heart.

#DTWD
Quote by Kensai
Except no.

Oh, well when you make a point that strong it's hard for me to argue...
ummm anyone who thinks cops are justified are idiots. Cops are almost never s,pose to use their guns except in rare cases which endangers other. Shes a 64 yr old woman. How the fukn hell did she survive a tazer? bull *SHIT*. most army rangers go down from a good tazer so no, shes not a superhuman. And shes prolly not atletic so I could prolly take her down. Some crazy 17 yr old bitch ran at me w/ a knife & I took her down. not gf
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

Cops are trained to aim for the torso. As somebody else said, aiming for the legs usually only works in movies and would be a horribly stupid decision in real life. If somebody is running at you, the chances of you actually hitting the legs is extremely small. If my life is in danger, I'm not going to risk getting killed just to maybe save some lady who's trying to kill me.

It's not like they ran in and started shooting. They tried to reason with her, then tried to use nonlethal weapons to subdue her. THEN she lunged at them with scissors. They did exactly what they were supposed to do.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by Thepredster
ummm anyone who thinks cops are justified are idiots. Cops are almost never s,pose to use their guns except in rare cases which endangers other. Shes a 64 yr old woman. How the fukn hell did she survive a tazer? bull *SHIT*. most army rangers go down from a good tazer so no, shes not a superhuman. And shes prolly not atletic so I could prolly take her down. Some crazy 17 yr old bitch ran at me w/ a knife & I took her down. not gf

Holy shit dude, you're really tough. If I was a girl, I'd want to bear your children.
damn Thepredster you are sooo badass, remind me not to send my bitch to fight you
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Quote by GodofCheesecake

1. Shoot her legs

Wow, that was easily answered. I guess the question already had an answer.
schizophrenia, depression, bi-polar disorder and also had a bad heart
natural selection, folks.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that people with "mental disorders" are the better ones and us normal folk are the ones with a disability. But yeah, as previously stated, there are plenty of other things that could have been done other than shooting the woman 4 times.
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
1. Shoot her legs

From the article it seemed like it was a "2 seconds to act or you get stabbed" kinda thing. If she'd been standing, like, ten feet away, yeah shoot her leg or something. But if she's close enough to lunge it won't make a difference until AFTER she's stabbed you.

Also keep in mind they didn't know what kind of weapon she had.
Quote by Kensai
I'm glad you are not a cop.

Yeah, so am I.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Dec 15, 2009,
Quote by blackthought
Holy shit dude, you're really tough. If I was a girl, I'd want to bear your children.

Since I sense sarcasm. I'm gonna go head and call you a prick. I didn't say that to sound tough but to be realistic about this situation. I was 16 or 15 at the time.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
I think some people are forgetting the cop shot her four times. You think the power of one bullet to the chest would be enough to drive an old woman back.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by JAHellraiser
damn Thepredster you are sooo badass, remind me not to send my bitch to fight you

please read other post. If your still a douche go fuk urself.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

Quote by firebird103

Congrats sir
Quote by Thepredster

First of all, get off of this site and do some homework or something. It's like you're trying to spell everything wrong. It's impossible for anybody to take you seriously when you type like a 5-year-old with cerebral palsy.

Cops are allowed to use guns when their lives are endangered. A lady with scissors was running at them. That's a life threatening situation.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by blackthought
Except for the fact that any competent shooting instructor will tell you that you always aim at center mass, i.e. the chest. Shooting someone in the legs is for the movies, which aren't terribly good sources of accurate information.

Nobody can run with a blown kneecap.

Quote by maidenfan15
Cops are trained to aim for the torso. As somebody else said, aiming for the legs usually only works in movies and would be a horribly stupid decision in real life. If somebody is running at you, the chances of you actually hitting the legs is extremely small. If my life is in danger, I'm not going to risk getting killed just to maybe save some lady who's trying to kill me.

It's not like they ran in and started shooting. They tried to reason with her, then tried to use nonlethal weapons to subdue her. THEN she lunged at them with scissors. They did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Well then they should be trained to be good shots period and use their judgment on the best location to shoot at in each situation.

The chance is only small if you aren't trained for it.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Page 1 of 4