OK, so i was screwing around with my squier strat, doing some minor set-up tweaks, and i realized that my low E string was not intonated properly. So ok, whatever, i got out my screwdriver and decided to fix it. It was about a quarter step sharp at the 12th, so i started loosening the little bridge piece, and that fixed it a little, but not nearly enough, so i kept loosening it.

Slightly long story short.

I kept loosening it, and i was only able to slightly fix the issue. Now, I can't loosen it any more, the sucker and the sucker is still sharp by about a quarter step. All of the other strings are fine. What's going on? Is the neck just warped or something?

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
if your strings are old they loose their intunation just themselves even if the guitar's intunation is fine.
Last edited by prevenge178 at Dec 15, 2009,
If it's sharp you need to tighten it?
Because loosening it makes the string shorter, raising the pitch?
Quote by whoomit
If it's sharp you need to tighten it?
Because loosening it makes the string shorter, raising the pitch?

isn't it the other way around?
Quote by prevenge178
isn't it the other way around?

Probably depends on what kind of bridge it is now that I think about it...
Loosening saddles on one could have the same effect as tightening them on the other I guess!
i tried tightening and loosening the screw. tightening made it sharper, and loosening made it slightly less sharp lol.

the strings are pretty new, but i'll try replacing them.

i also tightened the neck joint on the same day, so it might be partly due to that going wrong....

thanks for the answers so far.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
yeah you are right. i was thinkin that when it (the string thingie) went further from the neck that would be loosening but judging from how the screw that you tighten with you actually act as if you were to loosen the screw to move the stringthingie forward towards the neck. my bad
Quote by cedricsmods
If the string is sharp at the 12th, move the saddle further from the bridge.

i did. it can move no further. it's still sharp.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
i did. it can move no further. it's still sharp.

I had a similar problem when I was trying to get my nephew's cheap ass guitar into playable condition. on almost all of the strings I couldn't get the saddles far enough away. I think it might be partly to do with the fact that I put 11's on it, which when I tuned it to standard actually lifted the bridge a little bit. I imagine if I just stuck another spring back there it would probably fix it, or at least help. If it doesn't I know the bridge isn't positioned right.