Site reading on guitar is pretty difficult. There are many decisions the player must make on the fly especially when you consider all of the different voicings for chords and the fact that most notes are repeated many times on the guitar so position choice is critical. Anyone have some good tips for site reading? I have an audition coming up and I need to prepare.
um. good luck? thats it really...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
You mean sight reading? As reading/playing notes on a musical staff?

If that's the case, what decisions do you have to make. You play the music that's in front of you and that's pretty much it. Also whatever position you should be playing should be marked, like III for the 3rd position.

It takes a lot of practice. Just keep at it.

Sorry if I completly missed what you are asking.
I wrote a blog on this a while back:

http://chainsawguitartuition.net/blog/confused-just-play-it-by-ear-eye/

Where I stress the importance of being able to read music as well as tab, and why it's useful.

The very best thing to do for guitar sheet music is, in my opinion, to just keep practicing with as many different pieces of music that you can find. There are certain things that you will learn to pick up on- such as which position will work best for a certain set of notes. The way you fret the notes is really down to personal preferance, and your own interpretation of the music- which you can only get good at with practice.

So I suggest reading as much as possible- just like when children learn to read words for the first time. Eventually it'll come just as easy.

As for voicings? I find open positions sound good if you're playing classical stuff- it allows the open strings to resonate more and creates a fuller sound. I don't know what style you're playing. Sometimes playing higher up the neck can be good to increase tension- even if the notes are the same, the string will sound more "stressed". If you know your scales it will really help because you can start to think in term of the scale. This makes it easier if you have a run of notes, especially if there are no added accidentals.