Lately I have noticed that when I start to play fast sections that I need to use alternate picking, I am using my elbow which is making my playing sloppy, and makes me look and feel uncomfortable. This is also hurting my ability to play more difficult lead parts. I am currently learning the solo in The Black Dahlia Murder's "Miasma", and I cannot play the last few seconds of the solo. Are there any excercises (sp?) or pictures to look at to see how I should be positioning my wrist (I know everyone does it differently; Marty Friedman for example) or increase my wrist speed and accuracy? My fretting hand is also slightly lacking in speed.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
ok, so good. you've diagnosed the problem, now you have to start fixing it. Start playing using only your wrist. You have to start very slowly and as you get used to it (cuz it will feel weird at first) you can increase the speed of whatever you are practicing.

Also, follow this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg
i dont think there really is a right way to pick. everyone is different. that being said, you should make sure to stay loose, start slow, and build from there. build accuracy and then speed will come. if you tense up, it will slow you down even if it makes you faster, it wont last forever. you want to have as little tension as possible.
Youtube some of Paul Gilbert's lessons. He shows things pretty well. You have to start really slow, alternate pick an open string or something. Watch yourself, and fix the problem. Make sure your shoulder is loose and comfortable, make sure you are not anchoring, make sure you are holding the pick right, your wrist isn't being strained, etc. It seems like a lot to think about, but that is the point. Realize what is comfortable to pick and get used to it. After you have it down, you won't have to think about it again.
Quote by In_Black_Flames
Youtube some of Paul Gilbert's lessons. He shows things pretty well. You have to start really slow, alternate pick an open string or something. Watch yourself, and fix the problem. Make sure your shoulder is loose and comfortable, make sure you are not anchoring, make sure you are holding the pick right, your wrist isn't being strained, etc. It seems like a lot to think about, but that is the point. Realize what is comfortable to pick and get used to it. After you have it down, you won't have to think about it again.

Well, it isn't really a lot to think about in my eyes. Loose, comfortable, and economical. IMO, the way you hold the pick doesn't make much of a difference. Yes, it does sound different, and holding it parallel is harder to pick, but if you learned to hold it parallel to the strings, do it that way.

Anyways, the universal rule in ALL of guitar playing is "Keep relaxed." It's VERY hard to do so (at first), because you can sub-consciously tense up. This is why it is important to play a section for a while, relax and play it again. Relax and repeat.

This lesson is EPIC: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/how_to_program_the_subconscious_mind_for_effortless_guitar_playing.html
Last edited by The.new.guy at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by The.new.guy
Well, it isn't really a lot to think about in my eyes. Loose, comfortable, and economical. IMO, the way you hold the pick doesn't make much of a difference. Yes, it does sound different, and holding it parallel is harder to pick, but if you learned to hold it parallel to the strings, do it that way.

Anyways, the universal rule in ALL of guitar playing is "Keep relaxed." It's VERY hard to do so (at first), because you can sub-consciously tense up. This is why it is important to play a section for a while, relax and play it again. Relax and repeat.

This lesson is EPIC: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/how_to_program_the_subconscious_mind_for_effortless_guitar_playing.html

Yeah, but depending on what you are playing (especially low riffs with lots of open strings), the angle of the pick can really bring out a better tone. Plus like you said, it makes it easier.
You're going to have to totally scrap the elbow playing, the way you're doing it now will only hold you back. As regards increasing speed with the wrist, you need to work on every different pickstroke, relaxation and accuracy.

Reading the sticky'd be a help.