ballsyguitar116
Banned
172 IQ
At the last show we played our guitar player and bassist decided it would be cool to wear a nice shirt and a tie and black skinny jeans when we play. Now they want me and our drummer to wear them also. Is this really over done and wierd or is it a good idea?
catrolean
184 IQ
Not overdone or weird. It kind of brings your band together. I don't think they should make you if you don't want to, but I definitely understand why they would do it.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
kazetuner
41 IQ
Wouldn't it be a little dull if you're all dressed the same?
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
3,126 IQ
Meh. Dressing all the same doesn't let your individual personalities show. I always think it looks odd when a band dresses all the same. You're a band, not an athletic team. Bands are supposed to be a cohesive unit of individuals, each with their own quirks and personality traits, and part of who you are is what you wear.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
GrisKy
Banned
411 IQ
I am completely against clothing on stage, or in the audience for that matter.

what the world needs is more nudity.
Physcosick
133 IQ
Unless your band members have tattoos and/or piercings, the entire band naked does basically the same amount for individualism and creativity as everyone dressing in business casual (or whatever you call a shirt and tie).
GrisKy
Banned
411 IQ
ok, (1) how do you get more individual than being naked?

and (2) who gives a **** about individualism? let's see some tits!
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
When I saw KsE they were all wearing the same tshirt, it was a KsE band tee which is meant to look like a white tux
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
Quote by GrisKy
ok, (1) how do you get more individual than being naked?
Ya kinda lost me on that one, bro. If everyone else were naked, the one person wearing clothes would be more individual, yeah?

Quote by GrisKy
and (2) who gives a **** about individualism? let's see some tits!
Okay. This is one bandwagon I wanna get on board.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ehlert99
1,320 IQ
Never wear the same outfits.. hell even KISS worse different outfits despite being the same theme... if you decide to do a gimick you all need to decide not have one half want to dress like weird emo kids trying to look dressy then tell you that you should do it too... thats like the girl in my band wearing a dress and telling us to wear it too.. wouldnt feel right.
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
There's nothing inherently wrong with dressing alike. It all depends on YOUR band, YOUR attitude, and the image YOU wanna present. If the idea feels right, it almost certainly is. If it feels flat-out wrong, it probably is. If you're just a little unsure, try it. Most people shy away from things because they're afraid of what others might think. Trendsetters decide what they wanna do and the public quickly follows.

Is dressing alike a bad idea? The Knack wore matching outfits. So did Huey Lewis and the News, for a while. So did The Beatles. And we all know none of those bands ever developed a following.

Whatever you do, never take the opinion of someone who completely neglects all punctuation (except ellipses), without careful scrutiny. If they can't be arsed to put in a few simple punctuation marks, the probablility they couldn't be arsed to think carefully about your question is high.
Quote by ehlert99
Never wear the same outfits.. hell even KISS worse different outfits despite being the same theme... if you decide to do a gimick you all need to decide not have one half want to dress like weird emo kids trying to look dressy then tell you that you should do it too... thats like the girl in my band wearing a dress and telling us to wear it too.. wouldnt feel right.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
jp58
162 IQ
I've done it a time or two with plain white t shirts and jeans. I usually just wear whatever I was wearing the day of. No need to dress or act different for a rehearsal or show or whatever.
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
if it catches people's attention and makes them pay attention to your music, the answer yes. duh.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
QuantumMechanix
UG isn't that helpful
2,577 IQ
Why not dress similar, but not the same? Like if they wear a white dress shirt with a black tie, you wear a black dress shirt with no tie. I think the entire band dressing the same is a little too much, but at the same time, you want to look tied together.
I hate my sig
dmiwshicldply
Id love to be a hippie
1,353 IQ
I dont like the matching exactly idea. But there is a need to have the same overrall tone in the way everyone dresses. say the drummer wears a black shirt with the sleeves rolled up and no tie, the bassist could do suspenders with a red shirt and black tie. You see where im going, keep up a good solid marketable theme but keep a little individuality also.
Roxor_Mc0wnage
leet guitar haxx
422 IQ
If I see another band come out wearing a button up shirt, vest and tie and skinny jeans I will...I will...probably still just be here typing angrily.

Go forth Lemmings. Go forth.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
I've always thought bands should look similiar, but not the same. You have a "look" that people can recognize easily, but you dont' have some kind of stupid uniform.
isabiggles
UG Addict
1,203 IQ
Wear your pants (True English pants please) on your head.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
ballsyguitar116
Banned
172 IQ
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Why not dress similar, but not the same? Like if they wear a white dress shirt with a black tie, you wear a black dress shirt with no tie. I think the entire band dressing the same is a little too much, but at the same time, you want to look tied together.

ya thats what we were going to do. I would wear like a white shirt and black tie, the bassist would wear a black shirt and red tie, our other guitarist would wear a white shirt and gray jacket and our drummer would wear something dressy. i wouldnt want everyone to look the same
dmiwshicldply
Id love to be a hippie
1,353 IQ
Quote by ballsyguitar116
ya thats what we were going to do. I would wear like a white shirt and black tie, the bassist would wear a black shirt and red tie, our other guitarist would wear a white shirt and gray jacket and our drummer would wear something dressy. i wouldnt want everyone to look the same

Then yes i think it should be fine, it gives you an identifiable image that you can also have some flexibility with. And while it may be overdone, most things are, so go for it if its what you want to do. If you start seeing signs of it not working, then change it.
GrisKy
Banned
411 IQ
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Ya kinda lost me on that one, bro. If everyone else were naked, the one person wearing clothes would be more individual, yeah?

what I'm getting at is that when naked, you are who you are, period. you can't be your neighbor, you can't be anyone else, and nudity makes it (perhaps painfully for some) obvious.

then again, this would be one of those threads where it's best to not take me too seriously... I was debating whether to go this route, or suggesting murder again
Physcosick
133 IQ
Quote by GrisKy
what I'm getting at is that when naked, you are who you are, period. you can't be your neighbor, you can't be anyone else, and nudity makes it (perhaps painfully for some) obvious.

I think that's more "personal" than "individual"ism.
GrisKy
Banned
411 IQ
whatever, did you bother to read the 2nd part?
Forkman
Julian
569 IQ
I suppose some kind of matching element or style within the band would look good. The only band I can think of that all wear the same thing is The Hives.
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
Quote by GrisKy
Yeah, I can see that. Although I might be seeing more than I really wanna.

The other side of the coin here is that clothes can be a visual expression of your inner personality. Your outer appearance when naked is pretty much fixed. It doesn't show your thoughts. Well, I suppose it could, just a little.

Quote by GrisKy
then again, this would be one of those threads where it's best to not take me too seriously... I was debating whether to go this route, or suggesting murder again
Nah, save the murder approach for when all else fails, I think.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
isabiggles
UG Addict
1,203 IQ
I'm no expert on image but you don't ALL have to look the same. If anything that makes it all rather dull. Angel Witch used to look ridiculous on stage because they had a skinny guy who looked like a girl, a really fat guy and a hippie.

Just don't wear your school clothes, you are not ACDC.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Myke.
The only.
113 IQ
Where whatever is the most comfortable and play good music.
The effect of wearing the same clothes will wear off in like 5 minutes.
JesusIsAwesome
UG Newbie
212 IQ
The worst sin is pretending and if you all dress the same, you're posing. Dress on stage like you do offstage or you're presenting an image that isn't yours.
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
Quote by JesusIsAwesome
The worst sin is pretending
reading this just made mah hed asplode.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Zach Dunn
1,324 IQ
Quote by JesusIsAwesome
The worst sin is pretending and if you all dress the same, you're posing. Dress on stage like you do offstage or you're presenting an image that isn't yours.

+1

Also what i normally wear is black skinnys with Either a smart polo or a band T(oh yeah im badass) lol

just wear whatever, noones there to judge how you dress, just how you play
dullsilver_mike
UG's Hotdog
741 IQ
Wow, a lot of discussion about posing, and not properly expressing your true individualism.

Do you all design your entire wardrobe from scratch? I don't think so. You're a walking billboard for pre-packaged images that you bought into.

Since that's already the case, why not just enjoy the fun that can come out of it and experiment with different things like all dressing the same. You're not going to be any more of a poser than you all already are.

On topic--it's all about the feel of the group. I agree with the earlier post about just using instinct: if it feels good, do it; if it feels wrong, don't; if you aren't sure, give it a try and see how it goes.
giiii
492 IQ
What could be cool is if everyone dresses the same except for one member.
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
clayonfire
loves Jazz.
454 IQ
I guess the way you dress should depend on what kind of music you play. If you play bubble-gum disney pop, you probably shouldn't dress in a lab coat coated with blood and a hockey mask. If you play extreme death metal, you probably shouldn't dress in bright pinks, yellows and sky blues. Really though, what you wear is up to you. If your band decides to wear similar (not the exact same) outfits, then so be it. That's your choice. It makes your band.

And I have played in bands where we all wear the exact same thing. These however were concert bands. White Button up long sleeve shirt, black dress pants, and (sometimes) a (bow) tie. The best idea is to represent the genre you're playing.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Quote by clayonfire
I guess the way you dress should depend on what kind of music you play. If you play bubble-gum disney pop, you probably shouldn't dress in a lab coat coated with blood and a hockey mask. If you play extreme death metal, you probably shouldn't dress in bright pinks, yellows and sky blues. Really though, what you wear is up to you. If your band decides to wear similar (not the exact same) outfits, then so be it. That's your choice. It makes your band.

I don't know, I might wanna see a Death Metal band decked out in Hello Kitty. That would be pretty badass.
clayonfire
loves Jazz.
454 IQ
Quote by iwannabesedated
I don't know, I might wanna see a Death Metal band decked out in Hello Kitty. That would be pretty badass.

It would be entertaining yes. I didn't say you should never do it, it would just be unexpected. Know your audience.

How would parents react if they saw the Jonas Brothers dressed like this?

I'd feel a little disappointed seeing a band dressed as that playing bubble-gum pop.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
coco-loco
UG's Only Ghoulscout
2,934 IQ
I reckon you should do what you wanna do. It sounds like they are just forcing you to get dressed up that way...even if I like the sounds of their "outfit", lool, just do what you wanna do!
guitarvinnie
314 IQ
being in uniform is cool. look at the beatles they did it. let them do whatever they want maybe they were afraid to tell you because u would shut them down