Im looking for an amp around the 200$ range the I can use to practice with a band. We will be playing 80s glam . I was thinking the vox valvetronix because ive had a good experience with it in the past, does this sound like a good option?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
should be ok, all you need for hair is a decent amount of gain, reverb, delay and an amp that handles pinch harmonics well. some sort of distortion pedal such as a tubescreamer might also help
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Not to sound daft here, but why would you be looking for a cheap amp when you've got a JSX you could use? You won't be getting much of an amp for 200 dollars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I say grab a Fender Frontman 1x12 and run a nice distortion on the clean channel. The FMs have pretty good cleans.
Quote by Kurapica
Not to sound daft here, but why would you be looking for a cheap amp when you've got a JSX you could use? You won't be getting much of an amp for 200 dollars.

good question.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Kurapica

I live on the 4th floor of an apt building with no working elevator, it would be a drag to man handle it ever time we wanted to practice.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sol-sob-on-pcp
id get a Marshall MG cheap and great overdrive

wat
edgy meems only friendo :^)
U already have a spider too ... unless ur trading that for the valvetronix ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
U already have a spider too ... unless ur trading that for the valvetronix ...

But that REALLY doesn't hold up in a band situation. The valvetronix seemed to have a lot more volume and a lot more headroom if i remember correctly.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Are we talking 15, 30 or 75watts here, Also if I remember correctly the vavletronix are rated at rms, so they do have a little bit more power.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by sacamano79
I live on the 4th floor of an apt building with no working elevator, it would be a drag to man handle it ever time we wanted to practice.

Is there a cab at the practise place? Couldn't you just take a head (assuming the JSX is a combo and hense a pain in the ass)?

If you need to get a new amp for this, I say you flog the Spider and pick up a Roland Cube 60 or a Vypyr or something. Oh, actually, take a look at second hand Line 6 Flextones. They NEVER hold their value and always go for cheap on the second hand market, despite being great amps. Look for getting a 50+ watt amp for band practise if it's SS.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I was looking at the 15W model since it is he cheapest.

There is no cab where we are going to practice, that's why I would have to lug along my 4x12 if I wanted to use the JSX.

For another option, what does a good 2x12 cost, I may be able to pull together some money if I really have to, but I was hoping to get away with this cheap/
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
^ Some guy in the gear section picked up a decent 4x12 cab on craigslist for $125, so I'm sure you could pick up a 2x12 for cheaper...or even a 1x12 would suffice as long as you didnt' crank the amp That might be a better option as it means you don't have a little amp knocking about and you still get your JSX tone.

A 15w SS won't be much cop against drums really unless it's mic'ed to the PA.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Your definition of good and my definition of good are different.

And by good, do you mean a good SS or a good tube?
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
A good 2x12 cab for my JSX, one that could be good for performing if I had to use it.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
A good 2x12 cab for my JSX, one that could be good for performing if I had to use it.

Woops sorry thought you meant a 2x12 combo. Ignore that SS or Tube comment. Hmm, well what kind of speakers do you like?
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I would go for the valvetronix, my school has one that they use for the jazz band (which I'm in) and it's awesome, and the amp models on it would be perfect for glam metal. It sounds pretty nice, Almost tube like...
I am not going to recommend a particular amp because it all a matter of personal preference (I love my Line 6 Spider II) but I would say look for a used amp you can pick up a decent amp for 1/3rd the cost of a new one or even find better on Craig's list. I picked up a Fender Front man R212 combo for $50.00. The input jack was loose and the signal was intermittent a few turns of the nut and no more cutting out.

John