I'm looking to buy an amp soon, but i would like to run 2 amps in it (Distortion and clean). I don't know about stereo or mono though all the way. I'm only going to be using one amp at a time, but i want each amp to fully utilize the cabinet (it's going to be a 2x12, by the way). I also had the idea of taking a Y splitter and running each amp into the cabinet like that so it was always being fed the signal or each amp, but the guitar signal would be switched between amps.

Thanks for the help!
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
its going to be difficult to run two heads into a 212 cabinet. stereo means that there will be a jack for the left speaker and one for the right speaker. the reason its going to be difficult is because you're going to have to make sure that the heads don't exceed the wattage or ohm ratings of each speaker. If you were looking for a 412 stereo cabinet...this would be less of a concern because each jack would control 2 speakers instead of 1...so the watts would be higher 'per side.' What two heads are we talking about?
Yeah I suppose you could run your guitar into a line selector, then the line selector into both amps, then using the Y splitter from the amps to the cabinet.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Well, the amp are both custom made. I don't think that wattage is going to be a problem because the distortion amp is 1/4 watt (a ga5 circuit with a more modern preamp) and the clean amp is 3-4 watts, very clean and shimmery. I may eventually get like 5 watts distorted, but i don't plan on running really large amps in the future, i like the ability to crank at low volumes.

I also play alot of hard rock, metalcore, rock, alternative rock, and anything like that, if that helps with giving you an idea what i'm looking for. I really would like alot of bottom, but to have the ability to get a nice warm solo tone out of it.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
ok then...couple possibilities for you

if the cabinet is wired for stereo...i.e. one jack per speaker...then you can get away with running each head to each jack...then using an A/B switch to change between heads.

or...if you wanted to get a mono cabinet...you can buy the headbone pedal from radial...that will allow you to switch between the two heads going into the same mono cabinet. it will keep a load on the head that isn't being used...which is crucial. A regular A/B switch won't do this and its bad for amps to be on without an impedance load.
I took a look at the headbone pedal and that's not worth it to me, i could get another cab intsted of buying it, sorry. Even if i found it used, it still wouldn't be that good of a price. I am though seriously considering using a nice y splitter to run the 2 amps into a mono cabinet. My only worries are with the ohm levels. Both of the amps are 8 ohms, so should i set the ohm on the cab to be 16 ohms or 8 ohms?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
you can't run both heads into a mono cabinet just using a splitter...it will damage both heads. when you switch to one head...the other head doesn't have a load on it...which will damage the amp.

-you will need the tonebone pedal to use just your mono cabinet

-or you will need another mono cab, and run one head per cab with an A/B switch to change between amps

-or buy a stereo cabinet, run a head to each side of the cabinet so each head has an impedance load at all times...using an A/B pedal to change between them.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
you can't run both heads into a mono cabinet just using a splitter...it will damage both heads. when you switch to one head...the other head doesn't have a load on it...which will damage the amp.

-you will need the tonebone pedal to use just your mono cabinet

-or you will need another mono cab, and run one head per cab with an A/B switch to change between amps

-or buy a stereo cabinet, run a head to each side of the cabinet so each head has an impedance load at all times...using an A/B pedal to change between them.

no, i'm not talking like an a/b pedal, i know that each head has to have a load at all times. I'm saying if the splitter runs both heads into a mono cabinet at the same time, so both loads will be on the cabinet at the same time.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
ok, it was worth a shot. For now i think i'll find a 2x12 wired to run either mono or stereo so that i have options. After that i will try and find another 2x12 or if i find a really cheap bonehead and then i could run the original cabinet in stereo or both of the cabinets in mono.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause