Lately I've become increasingly focused on improving my rhythm playing. Studying interesting chord changes, metronome practice, etc. I was wondering if there were any useful exercises that could assist me with my mission.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Chord voicings, for sure. When I'm tracking rhythm parts, I find it very important to add interesting notes to my chords.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
I'm no expert but here are some of the things I do to practice my rhythm.

# Practice chord changes ALOT. You should be able to shift between any and every chord that you know smoothly, even the stupid ones. Stick the metronome on a slow tempo and try going through everything you know in every position, since this can be quite boring try and mix it up by playing the bass and treble parts separately (can turn standard old chords into something new).

# Try writing down some random chords, looking at them for 30 seconds, committing them to memory, and then trying to play in time with the metronome without looking at what you have written.

e.g.

G, C, Dm, D7, F

Bdim, Em, C, C7, G

# Try playing around with the beat too. Start off with one beat per measure, then double, double it, double it, etc.

Some theory exercises will be of help too. Study cadence and how it can drive the music into different directions based on the last chords used.

Hope this helps for now
Last edited by Calibos at Dec 16, 2009,
Are there any exercises out here for 16th note strumming that doesn't incorporate funk or 9th chord syncopation? That's also another good way to go about it.

I have heard of a lot of people working their strums through tied notes and such in 8th note strumming, but when it gets to 16ths and how to strum, feel and read a lot of complaints that all there are for that are the James Brown 9th chord funk lessons, as if that's the only reason to play 16ths in rhythm.

As far as 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a - they get the count, but are there any exercises/resouces out there, so they can get better at reading and knowing how to strum these on the fly, say in with some 8th note stuff also?
Make your own backing tracks. Come up with a chord progression, make up a strumming pattern on paper, then record it. Voila, you've got some rhythm practice, you've probably made yourself play it to a decent standard cos you've recorded it, and you've got a new BT to improvise to out of it as well
Put the metronome super slow, like quarter notes at 50 or even 45. Just play quarter notes with the metronome, and dont accept anything then absolute perfection

Set the metronome to 80 or so. Play 2 bars of 8th notes, then immediately go into 2 bars of triplets. Then 16ths, then 5tuplets, and keep going as long as you can. I usually make it to 11's
Quote by tubatom868686
Put the metronome super slow, like quarter notes at 50 or even 45. Just play quarter notes with the metronome, and dont accept anything then absolute perfection
lol thats evul. I haven't tried it but I do know that is pretty darn hard!
Last edited by zhilla at Dec 17, 2009,
There's a great book called, "Rhythm Guitar, the Complete Guide". It's written by one of the GIT instructors. It costs less than 20 bucks. It covers EVERYTHING. It starts out pretty basic, (open position chords, strumming patterns, etc.) Then gradually gets more and more advanced. If you're dedicated, you should be able to get through it in a month or so.
There's my way and the wrong way.
I just play songs. Some of my favorite rhythms are: american girl intro strumming, almost all jack johnson stuff, jack's mannequin rhythm stuff such as lights and buzz
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah