I have been in the market for a distortion pedal for a while but never gave it full thought.

I need a good distortion pedal for around $50 USD.

I have a Vox DA50VT (Vox Valvetronix).

I can MAYBE go up $20 if the quality/sound is good.

I play Metalcore/Deathcore/Blues.(Whitechapel/Suicide Silence/The Devil Wears Prada/August Burns Red/Job For A Cowboy.) Blues style = B.B King

So I need something that has heavy distortion but sounds clear
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by williamdllr
...und $50 USD.

I have a Vox AD50VT (Vox Valvetronix).

I can MAYBE go ...

That's what you need to
1. Change; or
2. Mess around with more; or
3. Figure out

Modeling amps don't play nice with pedals.

Plus you have a whole load of effects and OD at your disposal in the Vox... you don't need a separate OD.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 15, 2009,
^ it has great distortion but I need a deeper fuller distortion.

Like its great for standard and drop d tuned metal (metallica,most nu-metal) but it gets muddy when I go for a deeper sound.

I keep my guitars in drop b and in drop d
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
^ it has great distortion but I need a deeper fuller distortion.

Like its great for standard and drop d tuned metal (metallica,most nu-metal) but it gets muddy when I go for a deeper sound.

I keep my guitars in drop b and in drop d

You'll need to change your amp then. Few modeling amps take well to pedals. The Valvetronix isn't one of them that takes pedals well.

I hope you're using at least 11s for drop b...
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I use 12's

I wont have enough money for a WHILE for a new amp.

I just bought this like a month ago.
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Have you tried an OD pedal in front of your Vox? At lower levels it can tighten up the sound some but the normal AD's aren't really made for uber high gain. The XL series, which is what I have is better for heavier stuff. another suggestion is to use the clean channel on the Vox with a distortion pedal for the brootalz stuff.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
This is gonna sound stupid but...

I think getting awesome brootzy tone is difficult without a proper amp and speaker combo.

Again I know it sounds stupid but... basiclly you need the right tool for "that"job. If this doesn't make sense you don't know or have "Sweet Brootz".

IMHO i hate dist. pedals. I don't see the value in them.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by williamdllr
I use 12's

I wont have enough money for a WHILE for a new amp.

I just bought this like a month ago.

I suggest you play more with it... play with your EQ (increase treble, drop bass or mids) to get better sounds.

It sounds to me that you've not played much with the EQ... stack some ODs from the amp's selection.

Your solution is not to buy a pedal for that amp. A modelling amp takes your dry signal and puts it through a digital modeler, changing the analog signal to 1 & 0, processes it to sound like the different amps before changing it back to an analog signal to be amplified.

Throwing a OD in front of that will add more gain that will merely muddy up your signal even more rather than tighten up your bass end.

Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
This is gonna sound stupid but...

I think getting awesome brootzy tone is difficult without a proper amp and speaker combo.

Again I know it sounds stupid but... basiclly you need the right tool for "that"job.

Chuggy has the right idea. You need the right tools for the job. No point taking a needle to cut a fruit, or a sledgehammer to knock in a nail.

A Peavey Vypyr would have been a better amp for the br00talz.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 15, 2009,
Well i got a super deal on the vox and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cleans and the bluesy tones you can get from it.

I have played and playted with the eq for weeks.

I can get a really great tone from it but I am just looking for a more tight clear chug from it
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
Well i got a super deal on the vox and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cleans and the bluesy tones you can get from it.

I have played and playted with the eq for weeks.

I can get a really great tone from it but I am just looking for a more tight clear chug from it

This just occurred to me as I was reading some other posts. What you can do is to replace the current preamp tube with a12AX7 preamp tube which is rated for high gain and early-ish breakup. That will add more gain and oomph to your sound.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
that might help because I have continously read that most metal amps use 12ax7 tubes
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
that might help because I have continously read that most metal amps use 12ax7 tubes

Well your Valvetronix has a single 12AX7 as well… just that I suspect its either moderate gain or low gain… a high gain & early or moderate breakup 12AX7 might help a lot… however, don’t expect it to drastically change your tone from Voxy to Dual Recto chug. Though you might have more brootalz on tap.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I don't know how Tubescreamers do with solid state amps, especially modelling amps. But I have a TS9DX and it can really did wonders for my amp.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
The 12ax7 used in the valvetronix valve is used in the power section of the amp to simulation power amp saturation with a tube, it has no effect on preamp, which is where you want your distortion to breakup. Like I said, the XL is much more suited for high-gain stuff of the Vox AD line. Where do you live, want to trade? lol. I don't really need the high-gain models of mine. lol. I would prefer a more bluesy tone, but mine was a great deal too. I can always lower gain a bit though on mine though. lol.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by soul.power
I don't know how Tubescreamers do with solid state amps, especially modelling amps. But I have a TS9DX and it can really did wonders for my amp.

I don't have an actual tubescreamer but I'm getting decent results so far running my guitar into my PC, then through Revalver and its tubescreamer pedal sim, then out to my amp. Also been playing around with the treble boosts and fuzz pedals in the software in front of my amp too.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
i used to run a sansamp GT-2 into the clean channel of my AD50VT, sounded good. it's gain modeling kinda blows. makes me miss that old pedal. i got it for like 65 shipped on ebay. so don't forget to scan out it for deals
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz

I can get a really good br00tz distortion out of my cube and

Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
IMHO i hate dist. pedals. I don't see the value in them.

I agree, who needs a pedal when your amp can do it?

If your amp can't you bought do what you get from your pedal you've gone wrong in amp buying.