I am purchasing an emg 81/60 pickup combination (bridge/neck) for my Jackson SL2H Soloist, which is currently equipped with two seymour duncan passive pickups. When the pickups arrive, I would like to wire the guitar in a fairly unique way. I would like to wire the two available pots as two volumes, one for the neck and one for the bridge, with no tones(simply because the guitar only has two places for pots drilled in), and I would also like to apply an 18volt modification to the guitar. Could someone please point me towards somewhere with the wiring diagram for this configuration, or explain what I need to do?
pay for someone to do it. i tried doing this sort of stuff awhile back when i had a schecter, and i ****ed my guitar. just pay someone to do it.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
haha I appreciate the suggestion but I'm good with physically working on the guitar, I can install a pickup, I just need to know what to do because I don't quite understand how all the components really work ;P
If I were you I wouldn't do the 18v mod. your going to lose the smooth sound of that 60.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
really? I haven't really heard a 60 with the 18v mod, just the 81 on distortion, I didn't even think about adverse affects on the 60 ;P thanks
Quote by p0w3r0f2
really? I haven't really heard a 60 with the 18v mod, just the 81 on distortion, I didn't even think about adverse affects on the 60 ;P thanks

You can change the tone pot to a volume pot, but it will make your sound slightly brighter.

Also if you can install a DPDT push/pull pot, you can wire it such that you can have both 9v and 18v. There was such an exact discussion I had with someone on UG a while back... but I can't recall how to do it.

I hope you have lots of patience... it'll take a lot of wires and effort.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well that would be really great, but I can't do it without a wiring diagram. Also wouldn't that affect the gain when I switched pickups? And if I wire two volumes, how exactly do I go about? Will the brighter tone be really noticable/ can it be adjusted for easily?
Quote by p0w3r0f2
Well that would be really great, but I can't do it without a wiring diagram. Also wouldn't that affect the gain when I switched pickups? And if I wire two volumes, how exactly do I go about? Will the brighter tone be really noticable/ can it be adjusted for easily?

That would entail a lot of effort drawing up the diagram, which I can't spare now. If you go to GB&C they would definitely be better at this sort of thing.

The difference in tone would be in the harshness of the frequencies... if you have a neutral tonewood or a slightly brighter tonewood... the difference can be unsettling to some. It would also depend on the voicing of the pickup too. I suspect you'll lose a portion of the warmth of the 60 whereas the 81 might be a little too harsh.

An alternative you can look at is to install a cap... probably 0.0001μf or 0.0002 μf at the respective volume pots to ground some of the higher frequencies that will jump out due to the removal of the tone pot.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.