Wow what a strong tittle... Anyways let me tell you guys whats going on, I'm open to all criticism thats what I'm here for anyways.
I've been a guitarist/musician for 6 years. Me and my friends from highschool "agreed" that we were going to make a band (i'm sure some of you may have done the same thing). Well, we always talked about it but since we graduated from HS me (rhythm guitarist) our lead guitarist and our base player all joined the military and our drummer stayed back home. We always said that we were going to return home and finally do something and well nothing happened. Truth is our base player out of nowhere said he had no interest in being part of a band or anything but that if we ever "did" something (meaning become famous or something like that) that we could ask him that he wouldnt mind playing with us. And he quit the "band". We said screw him thats messed up, we'll just find a new base player (never happened). Then I went home but didnt bring my guitar and amp due to costs (I had to get them shipped cuz we live overseas) and well the other guitarrist got upset and said "to hell with this its over and I've got the copyrights for the bands name and i'm not going to let either one of you (me and the drummer) do anything with it" cuz he never saw any effort put in. The drummer and him no longer talk to each other due to some comments made during the conversation. I know there's a couple of details left out but basically we never did anything, and I understand everyone's frustration cuz it obviously affected me the same.
Anyways, My question is this; Should I quit being a guitarist/musician?
I feel like even though I love music and playing my guitar, that I'm never going to be successful as a musician.
---Sure a lot of us wish that we end up being a big band like idk metallica or something like them accomplishment wise (i know they have their **** ups but they have gotten further then some of us if not most -- which isnt the point of my thread plz dont change subject ). ---
But man, my motivation is hurting... I play guitar for a lil and start thinking, what am i even doing this for ... as if there's no point in trying to become a better guitarist/musician...
I think my biggest issue is that, if I couldn't achieve anything with my friends, how am i supposed to do something by myself...

*sighs* anyways, i'd like to hear/read somebody's opinion... thx for your time.
No!!! Definitely NO! So many great musicians just live! Don't you enjoy your music, and don't others enjoy your music? Just bc you don't "make it big" with your hs buddies doesn't mean that your music is bad! Keep playing!
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Dude if ya think about it, how many guitarists, or musicians period, actually are "successful"?

It shouldnt be about success man. Its about the love of the music and the love of playing. I would never advise that anyone quit playing just because they dont have a band and wont make it big. Ive been playing for 5 years now, been in one band type situation, that went to crap. But Im still looking, still trying, and I still love to play.

If youre in it for success and whatnot, then sure, quit. But Id suggest first that you just try to renew your love for it. Everybody goes through slumps and phases. Somethin I read once that Dimebag said, is that if youre in a slump and wondering why your playing, just sit back and listen to how good the instrument actually sounds.
Quote by Drm316

I feel like even though I love music and playing my guitar, that I'm never going to be successful as a musician.

You love it, man. Don't give it up.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Last edited by catrolean at Dec 15, 2009,
Music isn't just about being in a band. It's all about true creativity. Honestly I have been playing piano for eight years and of course the awards and competitions are great but the real reward is coming home each day after school and just playing my heart out. Stick with music ditch the artistic differences and play what's on your mind.
Fail that your band could actually have an argument and break up without even having met.

But seriously, don't give up. Guitar is one of the biggest parts of my life, i know i'm never going to get famous but I do it because nothing satisfies me more than turning on my amp and writing/playing on my guitar and with my bands.

If you love it, wtf would you give it up?
If the only reason you were a guitarist/musician is to be in some dumb high school band you started so you could become successful and the "band" never happened, then quit.

If you take pleasure in playing guitar and/or composing music, then by all means keep with it.
I didn't read it... but if you still like playing, why quit? We can't live your life for you, do what makes you happy.
I understand the discouragement, and it can feel like its never going to happen. My advice, put it down for a while, take a break, sounds like its gotten to be a real reminder of the discouragement. Heal a bit from it and see if you don't come back to it at a later time. I say this, if its not passion for the instrument itself thats driving you to stay with it. It just sounds like you are discouraged, and that's normal, and it can happen. Take a few weeks off and soul search a little bit, and evaluate what is going on in your life right now, and see where you are in a couple weeks.

Processing this through can help a lot. Ive found there's times Ive set it down and walked away for a season, the guitar is a love hate thing for me at times, even though I make a living with in and in the industry.
dude, your band that never really existed broke up and you want to quit playing? honestly, if you enjoy playing that doesn't mean you have to have a band and get famous. If you enjoy playing, then play. If you want to get another band going then go for it. just don't pressure yourself too hard to make it big. enjoy it for the sake of making music.

Don't beat yourself up over it man.
Try not to get discouraged, you're not the first band to have membership problems

And I understand how hard it is to find a bassist; everyone plays lead guitar and no one wants to do the bitch work on the bass, which is why a competent bassist and drummer is like hitting the jackpot.

If the other guys don't want to be a band then let them be, don't let it compromise your friendship and don't quit playing because of it. Get some recording software and just practice doing your own thing for a while, if things pick up then you'll have some new material to share with the band, if not then try finding another band or some new guys to jam with.

Playing is personal experience and to "quit" would be pretty drastic just because things didn't work out, as long as YOU enjoy playing then that is all that matters. You don't HAVE to be the next Van Halen
Find some guys to jam with where you are based - you'll soon start enjoying it again.
Quote by Drm316

But man, my motivation is hurting... I play guitar for a lil and start thinking, what am i even doing this for ... as if there's no point in trying to become a better guitarist/musician...

Are you playing because you want to be successful? If so you are in it for the wrong reason. Reassess your motivation. If you can play guitar because you enjoy it, then you've found the right reason and should keep on playing. Anything else I'd say quit.
don't quit guitar. find people who are more patient and actually want to play with each other.

what you should quit is writing walls of text. paragraphs make things more appealing and easier to read. s'alli'msaying
You can't define your life goals and your happiness by what other people think or do.
no .. dont quit.... ive been a guitarist for 5 years... i haven't even been in a band yet... im searching sure, but had no luck .

look as that band you had as ''experience'', and look at things that went well, and take that experience on, then learn from mistakes that happened along the way of that bands breakup.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by Drm316

Anyways, My question is this; Should I quit being a guitarist/musician?

If you truly love playing your guitar (rather than the idea of playing guitar and "making it big"), then you shouldn't quit, and honestly you shouldn't be asking this question.

I guess the real question(s) you should ask yourself is..... do I really like playing the guitar?.......do I need to achieve some sort of status to make this worth my while or is it a fun enough activity on its own?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 16, 2009,
I'd say think about Eric Clapton. He did a lot of solo work and was extremely successful. If you think that's just because he was famous from Cream then you can look at David Lee Roth. He tried to make his own band and even put his name on it and still didn't achieve too great success. Just don't give up the dream and play for the love of it until you can find people to play with you.
sorry OP but really, its kind of a silly qestion. some guys you know dont want to form a band anymore so you think maybe you should just quit all together? you know there are other people out there right? you can find other players to make a band. heck, you dont really NEED a band. you can still do small gigs by yourself (if you can sing or play jazz).

and its "bass" not "base".