Hi, im new on this forum and i was hoping you gear masters could help a little, heres the deal:

Ive been playing almost 2 or 3 years guitar, with a crappy peavey rage 158 and now ive started saving i wanted to upgrade that b**ch and i decided that no ss, no mg, no spiders or so i just want a simple loud tube combo, im playin metal, from thrash to death, and im looking for some cob, alexi laiho tone, guitar is not a problem so this takes to the big question, with 700, max 800 dollars what amp would be the best, remember please that im looking for a children of bodom, amon amarth tone, that bright sharp distrortion with balls (im talking about the bass) i was really intersted looking at the peavey 6505+ combo, the one that has only 1 speaker, so please help me out wich amp would fit more what im looking for

Ps. Its important that its LOUD, cause my band its starting to get some serius gigs *yay*
Last edited by ArkanRg at Dec 16, 2009,
You need a 1/2 stack, min. 50 watts (tube) Peavey, Mesa, Marshall. You should look at used stuff, for what your able to spend. Also figure on a few pedals if you dont have them already. I dont think a 1 x 12 combo will cut it for what you are going to play, unless you are going to rely on the PA to get the sound to the crowd.
thin slice o skin
peavey 5150/5150ii/6505/6505+, peavey XXX, Marshall JCM 900 Sl-x, B-52 AT100, bugera 6262/333 XL....you might be able to get the b-52 or bugera in a half stack for your budget I would check those out
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Well im no interested buying used cause im from mexico, and i cant buy from ebay for example, but theres dealers almost for every brand so i could buy it new, except obviusly for mesa, and b-52's, im looking for some 60w tube amp so its enough to give a gig, that peavey combo its 60w but ive never tested a 6505 and im not sure it would fir on what im looking for, but im completely open to other options
Quote by jimoc1964
You need a 1/2 stack, min. 50 watts (tube) Peavey, Mesa, Marshall. You should look at used stuff, for what your able to spend. Also figure on a few pedals if you dont have them already. I dont think a 1 x 12 combo will cut it for what you are going to play, unless you are going to rely on the PA to get the sound to the crowd.

He doesn't need a 50 watt half stack. Even if he didn't have a PA, a 30 watt 1X12 combo would do just fine, even for cleans. And almost every single venue has a PA.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
6505/5150 is perfect. Trust me. I play the same style you do. Death to thrash, has perfect body for it.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
The 6505+ sounds perfect for your needs. If you were okay with SS, I'd also recommend taking a good hard look and listen at the Line 6 Vetta.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by jimoc1964

That's ridiculous.

I've played in 1000 person auditorium with my Peavey Valveking 112. 50 Watts with one speaker. In fact, I was louder than my mate with his 120Watt 2x10 Spider III.

TS, can you go used? Live near any major cities with CL?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I think im going for this one, i really hated the marshalls mg anf line 6 spiders and tons of other ss amps thats why i closed up to tube ones but yeah im not letting away any kind of amp, i mean dime used ss, one last question, does it sound like his older brother, the 6505+ head? thanks for the advice and specially the quick replies! Lol
6505 not the 6505+ has weaker gain.
-Gear-

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Quote by ArkanRg
I think im going for this one, i really hated the marshalls mg anf line 6 spiders and tons of other ss amps thats why i closed up to tube ones but yeah im not letting away any kind of amp, i mean dime used ss, one last question, does it sound like his older brother, the 6505+ head? thanks for the advice and specially the quick replies! Lol

From what I have heard, it sounds a little more fizzy but other than that, quite similar.

The thing is though that 6505+ heads are usually run with a 4x12 cab and the 6505+ is a 1x12 combo. That means there aren't as many speakers pushing as much air, so that will affect the sound a bit as well.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by FlyingPooooo
6505 not the 6505+ has weaker gain.

You've got that backwards.

The 6505 is said to be more raw-sounding than the 6505+, but both have equal amounts of gain (pretty much).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
My apologies, I meant that the 6505+ is voiced weaker.
-Gear-

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470