Hey everybody- I sold my fender Gdec jr. a while ago cuz I needed money bad and would like to try a new one. I only want to spend $100 or less. I have no intention of going on stage- I just play in my room. I play classic rock like zeppelin, gary moore, scorpions, deep purple, jeff beck etc. I am interested in the Marshall MG or the Fender Frontman. I'd like to hear everyones opionions and experiences with these series- Thanks
They're both horrible, with the Frontman being only slightly better, and that's if you've got a good pedalboard. If you could double your budget, you could get something a lot better like a Vox AC4TV.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Dec 16, 2009,
I guess the frontman if that's all the money you have. Look for a used peavey maybe. edit: a new viper under $100?, better for sure.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 16, 2009,
def the vypyr, MAYBE a vox.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
wow- I had no idea they sucked so bad haha. I'm gonna look into the peavy and vox for sure! Keep the suggestions comin'- if you don't mind also I think I could go $150 - $200 if it would make that big of a difference.
The Frontman series amps are actually decent on the clean channel but you will need to find a good 2nd hand overdrive/distortion pedal if you want to play anything distorted.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
The AC4TV8 is a good beginner all-valve amp. It should fit your needs well.

In any case, you could check out the Vox VT15 as well.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Dec 16, 2009,
Roland MicroCube. $130, everything you need it for.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

TS, this'll do everything you need and more, and do it well. I speak as an owner of a Frontman that they're crappy, and if everyone says they're better than an MG and they're crappy, I'm afraid of MG's. If you're willing to save up $150 more though, deal with tube maintenance(Worth it for the tone IMO) and less EQing, this thing will knock your socks off;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 16, 2009,
$100 you may as well just torrent an amp sim like guitar rig and buy a 1/4' to 1/8' adapter for like $2 (seriously)
If you can stretch to $200, the Vypyr 30 will rape everything, plus you get a 12 inch speaker

If youre stuck at $100, the Vypyr 15 will rape everything
Seconding the MicroCube, only not at $130. I got one off Buy.com for $80, got it in 2 days, haven't been happier.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I started out with a little 10w MG and really it wasn't that bad. Of course I was using a BOSS Metal Zone for distortion and I never really used the clean channel.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
If you like the classic rock kind of tone, Vox VT15

I you like metal, Vypyr 15 or Roland Cube 20X

For versatility between the two, Vypyr for sure. I would personally recommend the Vypyr. Great little amp for the price!!
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Ill chip in and recommend the Peavey Vypyr 30w. I have one sitting here behind me

They look a little goofy, but you can remove the batman type wing thing very easily and screw the Peavey name plate onto the front of the amp like so

>

Which I think you'll agree makes the amp look slightly more business like and less like a childs toy
Last edited by Wesbanez at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by Wesbanez

That looks really good man!
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Thanks for all the suggestions- you guys are really helpful. I could absolutely go $200 but I don't think I would ever need a 30 watt amp- cuz I'm not in a band. So is it agreeable with everyone that peavy and roland are for metal and the vox classic rock? I'd rather go clssic rock tone. This is exciting- it's like finding a new guitarist to listen to
That does seem to be the general oppinion yes, although I personally thikn the Peavey Vypyr does a fantastic job at both high gain metal and classic rock and everything inbetween.

Why don't you check out some vids on YouTube to see what kind of sounds each has to offer?

Sound quality on this vid is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQWtgn45cfM&feature=related
Quote by clarkgriswald
Thanks for all the suggestions- you guys are really helpful. I could absolutely go $200 but I don't think I would ever need a 30 watt amp- cuz I'm not in a band. So is it agreeable with everyone that peavy and roland are for metal and the vox classic rock? I'd rather go clssic rock tone. This is exciting- it's like finding a new guitarist to listen to

Well the reason the 30w Vypyr is recommended if you're willing to stretch it, is that even though youre not gigging, its not about the wattage. Its just that a 12 inch speaker sounds a lot better than the 8 inch on most 15w amps.
wesbanez- thanks i'm gonna check that link out

thanks subzero for that info- i'm gonna go research the vox, peavey and roland- thanks evrybody!
I have a 15w vyper, its a crackin amp but if you can afford it go for the 30w. The 30w has stomp box effects not on the 15w, can have pedals attached to swap between effects and I think has a midi out. all in all more versatile