Poll: A or B?
Poll Options
View poll results: A or B?
Metalcore Band
1 25%
Noob Band
3 75%
Voters: 4.
I've been offered to be a guitarist for tons of bands, but I always turned them down. I'm not bragging or anything, good guitarists are just scarce around here (everyone around here drums/plays bass, it's weird but there are like 2 or 3 decent guitarists). I turn them down because of stage fright and all that (even jamming alone with a band makes me a tad nervous, after the initial fear though I'm all good so I usually just power through the first 5 mins of jams and have a great time and not worry, I imagine it'll be like this with playing live too, just getting over the initial nervousness), but I decided **** it, I'm a musician I should be playing shit for people to hear!

So I go out to try and find a band, problem is all the rock/punk/metal bands I have been offered to play for either split up or have guitar players.

I've got 2 choices right now:

a) Join a metalcore band. I'm not saying metalcore sucks or anything, so don't start with that shit, it just isn't my style, I listen to Rush, Pink Floyd, Dream Theatre, at the heaviest probably classic metal like Ozzy and Maiden, stuff like that. But I just want to join a band and jam a bit. Is it wise to join a band that plays music you don't even listen to? (I've listened to the songs they want me to learn for audition, Misery Signals songs, they aren't bad I guess, but still not my style, I will play it though, seems easy enough)

b) Teach a friend bass and start a band with an inexperienced drummer. So it'll be me: good/decent player, drummer who's been playing for about a year (he's not that good, but he keeps the beat very very well, he's just very robot-like with his playing), and a friend who is just learning bass (we'd probably start off with covers like Blink 182, Andrew WK, Kim Mitchell, Led Zeppelin, stuff like that)

So what's the better choice?
which one would you enjoy more? I'm in a band now where me and the drummer are good, and the bassist and other guitarist are just learning, but I love it because we're all good friends. Just do what you think will make you happy
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I'm in two bands at the moment, Im good friends with both groups, But I gotta admit, I much prefer playing with my "harder" group. Whatever you like, but I've played with bad players, and its not fun.
i didn't read your wall of text but from the title i can relate, i tried to play in a band with some friends of mine. all really talented at their respective instruments, they liked devil wears prada and stuff like that which i am not especially into.
we had a few practices which were fun and i could play anything they threw at me easy but when it came to writing i was out of my comfort zone. they were stoked with all my riffs but i didn't like them and found myself overcomplicating them to compensate for my lack of enthusiasm towards the music we were making.

in short i liked playing the covers because i enjoy being in a band/jam situation. but when it came to writing i felt like i was letting them down by not being 100% into it.

Edit: im hoping you can see where playing a genre you are especially interested in can lead to a loss of enjoyment, that is the moral of this little story lol.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Dec 16, 2009,
Go for A man...B woluld be alright but prol y wont go anywhere. Dude misery signals is terrible music (In my opinion to to bash they have talent jsyb not for me)...listen to some other metalcore All that remains BFMV are my favs or trivium...youll learn to like it
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Listening to and playing music you're unfamiliar with really enhances your playing, no matter what your style is. But at the same time if you don't enjoy yourself playing it then it's a worthless endeavor.

Don't go in to a band with doubts, they'll make you unhappy and the band will dissolve. I'd say go with C, which is basically B with a better drummer and an experienced bassist.
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful.
my singer didnt like hardcore but he was in a hardcore band with us haha... in fact he liked pop rock lol.

I say go with A,

Playing in a metalcore band will be one of the funnest things youll ever do in your life, trust me, seeing people moshing and going crazy, its freaking amazing.

Seriously man... go with A.
Quote by bloodlust_panda
Go for A man...B woluld be alright but prol y wont go anywhere. Dude misery signals is terrible music (In my opinion to to bash they have talent jsyb not for me)...listen to some other metalcore All that remains BFMV are my favs or trivium...youll learn to like it

I bet that you would learn to enjoy grammar.

TS, i'd say the second one. Go for the most fun experience, besides in a matter of time your bandmates might become virtuosos.

Radiohead formed when they were teenagers in high school and none of them could play their instruments. Look at them now, and keep in mind that every single one of them is an original member.
well i went with b, i started a band a basically taught a bassist how to play. trouble is that inexperinced people don't have a great ear. like i will play somthing that i think is just noodling, and they go all crazy for it.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Go for B, you'll enjoy it more. If you play music you're not into you'll probably get burnt out really quickly and eventually leave that band anyway. Plus you can hide inexperienced bass players and drummers, as long as they can give you a solid beat and let the guitar be featured it will work. Look at Meg White, what drummer with 1 year of experience could not do everything she does on White Stripes songs. Not saying she isnt good, but in a lot of their songs all she does is keep one constant beat the whole song, so there are ways around it. And I would even suggest White Stripes covers are where you could start with option B.
Quote by naedauuf
I should've made this a poll

Add one now.

Option B sounds more fun, people like a challenge as long as they're committed
Quote by chaoticfables
Add one now.

Option B sounds more fun, people like a challenge as long as they're committed

Ah, I didn't know you could add polls after the thread was made.