I have been meaning to ask these for while now but I keep forgetting, so i'm just gonna make one topic.

Ok, so I got my first electric guitar about 5ish months ago, and I hav been playing for nearly a year altogether. My amp is pretty awesome for a first practice amp, and my guitar is a Squier Classic Vibe, from what i've hear, it is decent for a Squier. Overall, i'm pretty happy with the equipment I have considering i'm a beginner with no real job.

1) A broke my high E string again a little while ago, so I need to get it replaced, but about 2-3 weeks before it broke, I started getting a weird ringing (Fret Buzz?) sound around the 11th-17th frets, to the point that they were nearly unplayable when doing slower runs around that area. My frets have worn down so much that the 21st fret of the high E string is halfway to being the note on the 20th fret. Are these things covered in my warranty? I don't wan't my action to be raised to fix this as it is at a good level now, Will they fix this for free, or will this be expensive?

2) I need a guitar strap, but I have never used one, and I have a stupid question. Are they adjustuble, or do you have to buy different sizes? How much do they usually cost?

3)Can you reccomend me some good picks, I need to buy a bunch.

4) And finally, i'm going to try out some wah pedals while i'm at the store, what are some good brands to look out for? And how exactly do you use them? I don't want to look stupid using one the first time.

Thanks in advance.
1) There are two separate issues - the buzz is an action issue, the out of tune bit is intonation. You can fix both yourself, which is good since your warranty won't cover them. Check the guitar setup sticky in EG for help with that stuff.

2) Straps are adjustable so unless you're super tall or short you can grab any one in the store and adjust it to fit you.

3) One of each! Try a few different kinds, see what you like. I've really been enjoying the new tortex sharps recently.

4)Depends on your budget, but usually it's best to stay away from the 'original' crybaby and the weeping demon. The other dunlop and vox offerings are pretty good.
1) Prolly not.

2) They are ALL adjustable. Unless you get a fancy one, you can get one for $10.

3) That's not so easy. Some people like light picks. Some people like em heavier. Personally, I can't stand any pick thinner than 1.0mm.

4) Are we talking Autowah or actual wah? If we're talking Autowah, Ibanez makes some very sturdy ones. If we're talking actual wah, the Crybaby line of wahs is quite good. Basically, a wah works by pushing it up or down with your toe/heel, same way as a pedal in a car. As you push down, the wah's frequency increases, so you get a much more treble-ish sound.
I have no idea about your first question. Talk to whoever you bought your guitar from.

A strap varies between prices depending on brand and the design on it. But a blank, black strap can run to between 5 and 15 dollars. They are adjustable.

Dunlop wah pedals are the ones held high. They are fairly simple to use, and sound awesome when used right. Turn it on/off by pressing down on the front of it. Just experiment with a solo while rocking the pedal back and forth.
Regarding your picks, lighter picks are good for strumming and harder picks are good for lead playing.

Replace your high E string and find out if the problems still there, it could be old strings, like REALLY old strings have a kink in them where you fret alot. How often do you change them? (And don't say 5 months ago when i got it!)
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
1. Doubt they'll cover the frets with the warranty. Change your strings more often if they wear your frets that fast--also your technique may be off--that shouldn't happen so fast. Refretting will cost more than the guitar--it'd be cheaper to just get a licensed Fender neck.

2. Straps are adjustable. Recomend getting Schaller strap locks to replace your buttons--so it doesn't slip off the guitar and drop to the floor.

3. Dunlop Gator picks last a long time. Sounds like you play hard; try the 2.0 mm

4. If you want to sound like Metallica, consider the Dunlop Crybaby Kirk Hammet Wah. Exactly how to use: plug it in, stomp on the toe to turn it on, rock pedal back and forth to modulate the tone of the filter. Or find a position you like for a steady filter (like Kirk does on 2 of the riffs for All Nightmare Long). That's an expensive wah, but you'll get his sound for less than 50% of the cost of a rack unit like he actually uses.

With where you're at experience-wise you might be better off getting a multieffects pedal like a Digitech RP-255 or a Vox Tonelab or a Line 6 POD LIVE so you can experiment with different effects and amp/cabinet simulations to figure out what types of real pedals, amps & cabs you'll want for your rig later...
Yes, I did forget to mention that. Old strings can lose intonation, and if you've got a trem on your guitar playing with 5 strings can change the intonation/trem tension as well. New strings should be first on your list.
Quote by henza_x
Regarding your picks, lighter picks are good for strumming and harder picks are good for lead playing.

Replace your high E string and find out if the problems still there, it could be old strings, like REALLY old strings have a kink in them where you fret alot. How often do you change them? (And don't say 5 months ago when i got it!)

You can use light technique with heavy picks for strumming. Light picks are great for beginners, but not necessary after a while if you can adapt.
I changed my strings about a month before I started to get the fret buzz, so they werent to bad. I dont fret particularily hard so it shouldnt be a technique problem. I'll call the store up and see what they can do.
Oh, and I think the fret buzz and intonation might be related, because when I got my strings changed, they set everything up perfect. No buzz and perfect intonation. As my fretz wore down, it began to buzz/ring, and as that got worse the intonation got worse.
Not particularly sure how much fretwear is an issue. I don't think you can take your guitar back for free.

I'd change strings and then if the problem is still there, then I'd take it somewhere to look at it. But worse case scenario, provided you don't buy a new guitar, is that you raise your action a bit. That's all.
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String