I hear a lot of talk about how bending in tune is really important, but how do you learn how to do it. I have a pretty bad ear, and my bends are terrible. If i'm playing along with a song I can usually bend quite close to the exact amount that the string is bent in the song, but if I'm playing by myself, I just don't know when to stop the bend. Any advice?
Solution: improve your ear. The goal is to make a full bend on say the 5th fret sound exactly the same as the note on the 7th fret. Try it. Works well.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Solution: improve your ear. The goal is to make a full bend on say the 5th fret sound exactly the same as the note on the 7th fret. Try it. Works well.

So should I sit their, hit the note on the 7th fret for reference, bend the 5th fret, then hit the 7th fret again to check, and continue to do that until I get it right 100% of the time?
yeah, start practicing hearing the difference between 2nd's-octaves. once your ear is better, you'll be better.

until then plz refrain from playing 'run to the hills'
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by GoldfishMoon
So should I sit their, hit the note on the 7th fret for reference, bend the 5th fret, then hit the 7th fret again to check, and continue to do that until I get it right 100% of the time?

If your in standard tuning you could bend the 5th fret on your A string and hit and open E, that sounds easier.
Practice unison bends, and once you have them down pat. Bend to where you think the unison should be, and then play the unison, you'll know right away if your right or wrong and we always learn faster from our mistakes.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by GoldfishMoon

Basically. Try it with half, whole, whole+half, and 2 whole tones.
Play the 6th fret, bend the 5th up to it. Play the 7th, bend the 5th up to it... etc until 9 which is 2 full tones/steps. Check out the linked video I posted above, it's explained in full.
Try some interval training too.
^what tenfold said.

And if you have a trem bridge (whammy bar) don't worry about unison bends until you are confident with simple single note bends - when you bend one string with a trem bridge all the others will go slightly flat, so for usison bends you have to bend the second string slightly as well just to keep it in tune. Not the easiest way to learn to bend lol
I must point out that you should be using your arm to bend, and not your fingers! Lots of people make this mistake and it leads to: inaccurate bends (not enough strength); fingers sliding under/over the strings (because of the angle of your fingers); and, at worst, injury.

I know the question wasn't really asked, but I think it's important enough not to be overlooked. Especially going by how many people try to use their fingers.