I broke my high E string a little while ago and I still havent gotten it replaced yet. This happened at the worst possible time, just as I got into soloing. I still won't be able to replace it for about a week, but I really want to practice my soloing. Also, I'm getting bored with the penatatonic scale, it's great and all, but I want to branch out a bit.
Have you got any suggestions for solo's that don't make heavy use of the high E string, dont use the penatonic scale to much, and are in my skill area. (I'm not a complete beginner, but i'm not that great either, I can play stuff like the first Jump In The Fire solo, and bits of other Metallica and Iron Maiden solos)
I don't mind which genre it is in, as long as it's about medium speed.
Quote by pwrmax
Improvise, you don't NEED the high E.

I have been improvising for the last 2 weeks, but I really want to get back to reall sitting down and properly practicing with a metronome.
How long have you had your strings on your guitar? Are they all as old as your high e string? If so, you might want to consider replacing all of them. Granted, the high e is the weakest, but still, it's good to replace all of your string every once in a while. I replace all of mine about once every 2 months or so. And while you are out getting new strings, buy 2 or 3 packs so that the next time a string breaks, you don't have to wait a week to fix it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
How long have you had your strings on your guitar? Are they all as old as your high e string? If so, you might want to consider replacing all of them. Granted, the high e is the weakest, but still, it's good to replace all of your string every once in a while. I replace all of mine about once every 2 months or so. And while you are out getting new strings, buy 2 or 3 packs so that the next time a string breaks, you don't have to wait a week to fix it.

I don't even wait that long to change my strings. After 3 weeks they feel old to me.

And TS, do buy more than one set of strings. Like Junior mentioned, there always good to have around, you never know when you'll break one. I usually break one when I just put the new set on, and I'm stretching them by hand.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
I don't even wait that long to change my strings. After 3 weeks they feel old to me.

My primary guitar is a 7-string so it's a bit more money to buy strings for it. And with tuition at university and everything I try to save money where I can.

BTW, your first name wouldn't happen to by Rylan, would it? I know a guy known as Kozzy and I'm just curious as to whether or not you're him.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I am gonna change all of them, I just can't get new strings right now due to transport problems.
You could try practicing using diads/triads/arpeggios in your improv. You can do that just as easily on the lower strings as you can on your e string, and it will have the added bonus of helping you get more familiar with them and discover other ways to find your way around the neck.
Quote by Junior#1

Wow! I usually can go a month on my guitar before I replace a string in winter.. during the summer with lots of gigs its about 2.5 weeks. :S I don't wait for my strings to break though... guess thats why I only broke 3 strings my entire guitar career.
Quote by Junior#1
My primary guitar is a 7-string so it's a bit more money to buy strings for it. And with tuition at university and everything I try to save money where I can.

BTW, your first name wouldn't happen to by Rylan, would it? I know a guy known as Kozzy and I'm just curious as to whether or not you're him.

Sorry to dissapoint, but no, no it is not Rylan
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Well isn't this just the Saskatchewan thread?
On topic, it's never a bad time to get better at sweep picking eh?