Poll: Which would you choose if you were me?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you choose if you were me?
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
5 36%
Squier Fat Strat
9 64%
Voters: 14.
I just recently took up guitar starting in September. I have so far only played acoustic (own a used Yamaha FG-432) although electric appeals to me more, but started with acoustic first as advised by many. By now I know my way around the guitar and have gotten my fingers calloused and used to the strings, and I am planning to get an electric guitar for Christmas. I'm debating between this Epiphone Les Paul Special II and this Squier Fat Strat.

I already debated between the two in the summer and ultimately decided on the Squier Strat. I was about to order it for Christmas when today my friend offered to sell me his Epiphone Les Paul Special II in black. I went to look at the guitar again and noticed it had many good reviews and is also really cheap, even brand new. I can't remember exactly why I picked the Squier in the end; I think a friend told me it was more suitable for the kind of music I want to play (but I want to play all kinds of music from alternative to metal to reggae, and I'm hoping an amp with some effects will help me with that) or something along the lines of that. But he also told me it was kind of a knock-off strat. I'm also not sure if I like the flashy black and chrome look - I prefer the simple look of the black Les Paul. Also keep in mind I am a beginner and this is why I am debating between two relatively cheap beginner guitars and not opting for the much better guitars that I know are out there. I will get to those one day.

If you have any insight on specific details about these guitars that will help me weigh the pros and cons and differences between the two, please help me out. I'd like to decide sooner rather than later as I will probably either order or buy the guitar while in the States for winter break, which is only 10 days (I live in Tokyo at the moment) starting a few days from now. Thanks so much for your time in advance
Last edited by LilyTuck at Dec 16, 2009,
I haven't played either, so I can't say anything about the overall quality... But, the Stratocaster has a H/S/S pickup configuration, which in my opinion makes it have a lot more versatility.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I own a Les Paul Special II and have played numerous squier strats that some of my pupils have bought before coming to lessons. Honestly, it's a matter of opinion. I prefer the Les Pauls, but that's because of the neck - it feels more natural to me (probably because that's what I started on!). But quality wise they're pretty similar. Obviously you then have to weigh up whether you want the option of single coils or just humbuckers. Both will work for most genres, but having the different pickup configurations available (as you get with the squier) might be better for you. If you get the oppurtunity try out both guitars to work out which you prefer the feel of - which you'll want to play more, as I've found that's a common complaint of new guitarists - they don't like playing their guitar.

Bottom line - try them both if you can. If you can't it's really a flip of a coin sort of situation.
i agree to try, but the Squier is more customizable and versatile I think. My custom Epiphone strat is great for metal and blues alike and was a hand me down (free) from my cousin. I dumped about 250 bucks into it and have a guitar that plays and sounds as great as any strat I've come across to this day.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
keep playing the acoustic, i doubt ur fingers are used to the strings or have strengthened up enough ...

Become good on the acoustic so when u move to an electric (also a better one then the two u have mention) u find things alot easier ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Burpbelly
I own a Les Paul Special II and have played numerous squier strats that some of my pupils have bought before coming to lessons. Honestly, it's a matter of opinion. I prefer the Les Pauls, but that's because of the neck - it feels more natural to me (probably because that's what I started on!). But quality wise they're pretty similar. Obviously you then have to weigh up whether you want the option of single coils or just humbuckers. Both will work for most genres, but having the different pickup configurations available (as you get with the squier) might be better for you. If you get the oppurtunity try out both guitars to work out which you prefer the feel of - which you'll want to play more, as I've found that's a common complaint of new guitarists - they don't like playing their guitar.

Bottom line - try them both if you can. If you can't it's really a flip of a coin sort of situation.

Yup, its not about looks, and how fancy, its all about how it feels and sounds to you... The way it feels is the most important thing... I prefer fenders over gibsons, But thats just me. I dont like lacquered necks...
Thanks so much everyone, I ended up getting the Fat Strat and so far I am happy with it.